MERGED --> Steve Irwin (aka Crocodile Hunter) dead?? + Terri Irwin Interview - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #91
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:47 PM
I posted this on another msg board where some Australians were a little less sympathetic. I might as well express my feelings here too

He was respected through the world, and even if you don't like the methods he used, he certainly raised awareness of animals that may have only had a bad rep, and also of a country that most people will never be lucky enough to visit in person. He was a good guy, who didn't mean/intend any harm, he was always so enthusiastic about everything he did that it was infectious. He was a great ambassador for Australia, wildlife & conservationism. It saddens me to think of the young kids who will grow up without the resources of this fantastic educator, who inspired interest in zoology, and a love of nature in so many people around the world today. I hope he passed enough of that love of nature on to his children that they will be able to overcome the manner in which he died, and see it as he died doing something he loved, in the pursuit of furthering knowledge. I don't think you could mention his name or "Croc Hunter" without people around the world immediately conjuring up an image of a larger than life person, with a love, and passion for what he did that few people ever experience. That he met his wife through his work, and he was lucky enough to be able to combine his love for his family and his work was great. He was an inpsiration to many, and will be sadly missed by myself and countless others. Australia and the animal kingdom, you have lost a hero to many (though not all.) Thoughts and prayers go to his family, and his organizations, which are probably also devasted by this loss.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #92
ONE
love, blood, life

Crikey, indeed. I loved Steve when I was a kid. He was such a fun guy to watch. His antics began to irritate me as I grew older and I stopped watching his show, but I still respected him for all his work. I'll never forget the episode of Crocodile Hunter when he openly wept over a beached whale. He was a great guy who loved animals, despite the way he prodded around with them on TV. He did so much for Australia, as well as the rest of the world.

Rest in peace, Steve. Hope there's plenty of critters for you to study up there...

Old 09-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by snowbunny00774
I posted this on another msg board where some Australians were a little less sympathetic. I might as well express my feelings here too

He was respected through the world, and even if you don't like the methods he used, he certainly raised awareness of animals that may have only had a bad rep, and also of a country that most people will never be lucky enough to visit in person. He was a good guy, who didn't mean/intend any harm, he was always so enthusiastic about everything he did that it was infectious. He was a great ambassador for Australia, wildlife & conservationism. It saddens me to think of the young kids who will grow up without the resources of this fantastic educator, who inspired interest in zoology, and a love of nature in so many people around the world today. I hope he passed enough of that love of nature on to his children that they will be able to overcome the manner in which he died, and see it as he died doing something he loved, in the pursuit of furthering knowledge. I don't think you could mention his name or "Croc Hunter" without people around the world immediately conjuring up an image of a larger than life person, with a love, and passion for what he did that few people ever experience. That he met his wife through his work, and he was lucky enough to be able to combine his love for his family and his work was great. He was an inpsiration to many, and will be sadly missed by myself and countless others. Australia and the animal kingdom, you have lost a hero to many (though not all.) Thoughts and prayers go to his family, and his organizations, which are probably also devasted by this loss.

It's too bad people can be unsympathetic towards someone dying. On another website I go to, this poster laughed that he died. Meh
Old 09-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:47 PM
I'm listening to Midnight Oil in memory of Steve.

(They're from Australia and they stood for the environment, too. It's the first thing I though of, OK.)

I think I'm going to do something for the environment as well.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:47 AM
I couldn't quite believe it when I woke up and heard the news on the radio this morning. I'd been watching his show on TV only yesterday where he was training up some people to handle crocodiles and was thinking about how he has done so much to promote issues around the welfare of animals.

I also didn't realise that he was so well known around the world actually until I read this thread. He will be sadly missed.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
It was the first thing I saw on tv when I got up this morning. So sad. I used to love watching his show, too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5311298.stm

He was a lil wacky and a lil crazy, but god love him. Rest in peace, and thoughts to his wife and kids.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Also I must confess I rather enjoyed the Crocodile Hunter movie (I even went to the theater to see it).

I can't believe it.
I went to watch this movie in theaters too
Old 09-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Old 09-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:47 PM
this is devastating
Old 09-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Hey guys, if you want to do something to honor Steve's fight for the environment and wildlife, visit these sites: www.theanimalrescuesite.com and www.therainforestsite.com .

There you can donate food to rescued animals and save part of the rainforest for free, simply by clicking a button.

God bless,

coemgen
Old 09-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #101
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Very sad . I didn't watch many of his nature specials (a little to hyper for me), but I used to love to watch the "Crocodile Hunter Diary" episodes - where they showed the day to day operations of the zoo.

I'd never heard of someone dying from a stingray barb before. I've heard of people getting stung on the leg or the foot after accidenlty stepping on one.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:47 PM
His poor children.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:41 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by snowbunny00774
I totally agree....I posted a comment on I Am Bored...and this person posted an insenstive gif of Steve. A stingray passes him and he turns into a skeleton with the word PWN over it.

*Yes...this person is banned (I think) and the gif is gone*
Old 09-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:47 PM
Wow, a stingray got him in the end, of all things.

Sad, sad story and from what I've read, he was a real force for the land-preservation movement as well as a devoted animal lover. Rest in peace.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #105
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

I'd never heard of someone dying from a stingray barb before. I've heard of people getting stung on the leg or the foot after accidenlty stepping on one.

Neither had I...

According to the article I posted from the BBC, only one other person ever has (in Austrailia at least). Back in the 1940's...

Quote:
Attacks on humans are a rarity - only one other person is known to have died in Australia from a stingray attack, at St Kilda, Melbourne in 1945.