MERGED --> Steve Irwin (aka Crocodile Hunter) dead?? + Terri Irwin Interview

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:
Until all this, I never knew how popular he was.

I've got to say I had no idea how well known he was overseas. It was once said that he never made it here until he cracked America. Perhaps that is truer than I ever gave prior credit. Perhaps though, it is more that I just thought he was well known, not 'popular' per se. I'd read or hear people from overseas mocking his accent for example. It's the same accent 20 million of us have, and it used to piss me off to hear people harp on about it. The way he spoke was different, definitely, we might say crikey, but not while watching a funnel web drip venom from it's fangs. Anyway, the point is, people from overseas seemed to be focusing on how he dressed or talked and completely (seemed) to miss what he was actually doing, which was passionately promoting and spreading awareness for the environment and animal protection. He was a driven man. The way he carried on is and was absolutely irrelevant. If it helped someone take a liking to him, then great, but the work he did was just tremendous.

~BrightestStar~ said:
For anyone who is interested, Jay Leno is supposed to be doing a tribute for him on tonights show. :heart:

It was really nice. Just a nice collection of clips to show what a great goofy lovable guy he was. I bet Jay misses him dearly. They were great friends.

Last edited:
martha said:

I'll have to take your word for it. I could never get past the irritated looks on the animals' faces as he was "wrestling" with them or generally pissing them off.

LOL, can crocodiles show emotion and look annoyed? Seriously, Steve did a lot for animals and conserving wildlife. He was insanely passionate about all of that stuff and did a lot of good work.

I havnt posted here in quite some time, not since an infamous moment....but anyway.... I have been lurking here and there due to the upcoming tour and I wanted to give my two cents on this very sad story, here is something that I wrote another site...

as someone whose hometown is the Sunshine Coast and whose last place of residence ( I moved to the Gold Coast last August) was only 5kms south of Australia Zoo, this is such sad news. I did a BA with a major in environmental studies at the University of the Sunshine Coast and the year I graduated (2000), Steve was awarded an Honorary Fellowship- due to his conservation work and his impact on the Sunshine Coast community. I can not stress how sad this is, he did so much for conservation, environmental awareness and promoted the Sunshine Coast, Queensland and Australia with pride. I only hope that his work and ethics are not forgotten..

Angela Harlem said:

I've got to say I had no idea how well known he was overseas. It was once said that he never made it here until he cracked America. Perhaps that is truer than I ever gave prior credit. Perhaps though, it is more that I just thought he was well known, not 'popular' per se. I'd read or hear people from overseas mocking his accent for example. It's the same accent 20 million of us have, and it used to piss me off to hear people harp on about it. The way he spoke was different, definitely, we might say crikey, but not while watching a funnel web drip venom from it's fangs. Anyway, the point is, people from overseas seemed to be focusing on how he dressed or talked and completely (seemed) to miss what he was actually doing, which was passionately promoting and spreading awareness for the environment and animal protection. He was a driven man. The way he carried on is and was absolutely irrelevant. If it helped someone take a liking to him, then great, but the work he did was just tremendous.

I'm from the US and I totally agree. I thought I was the only one around who really loved him. Until Monday, I was just a closet Steve Irwin fan because it seemed like everyone else only knew about him in reference to his accent or his khakis.

Steve Irwin did not provoke animals; he did not "wrestle" crocs. I've watched him over and over and over and he was extremely intelligent, very safe (as safe as you can be when saving the life of a 1-ton animal). The man was raised around reptiles and was one of the world's experts on reptiles. I was defending him last night and my dad said "well yeah what do you expect when the man always jumps on crocodiles?" Steve Irwin was NOT the type to randomly leap onto a 15 foot saltwater croc just for the sake of show. His gig was about conservation and protection, not provocation and exploitation. He invented things that made the process of capturing the croc, gathering data, doing any veterinary work, and then releasing more efficient, painless for the animal, and safer for the humans. How many people in this world devote their lives to seeking out the kinds of animals that no one else seems to care about and making sure their homes are protected and they're kept in good health?

I think I'm still in shock over this. I cried when his DOG died....I don't think this has really sunk in yet....

Irwin's Dad Says He Lost His "Best Mate"

The fond remembrances of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin continued to flow in after his tragic accidental death over the weekend, but perhaps the most touching of all came today from his father, Bob, in Queensland. "Steve and I weren't like father and son, we never were," said Bob Irwin, outside Australia Zoo, the animal park that Steve made famous and that Bob had owned himself and handed over to his son. "We were good mates. I'll remember Steve as my best mate ever."

Bob Irwin also said that Australian authorities have offered to give his son a state funeral but that his family was unlikely to accept. "The state funeral would be refused ... because he's an ordinary guy, he's just an ordinary bloke." Prime Minister John Howard interrupted Parliament on Tuesday to pay tribute to Irwin.

Wearing a khaki shirt and shorts in the same way that Steve did, Bob Irwin also told reporters that he and his son were natural risk-takers. "Both of us over the years have had some very close shaves. We made jokes of it. That's not to say that we were careless but we treated it like it was just part of the job."

All of this is just so heartbreaking. Feel so incredibly bad for Steve's family :sad:

For anyone who is on Facebook, there are already over 500 groups memorializing him...I just joined one that says "Steve Irwin-I Would've Taken That Sting Ray Barb In The Heart For Him" and it already has over 4,000 members.

I cant believe this has hit me so hard, i cant stop thinking about it, ive just seen the Leno thing and other tributes and its :sad:

I'll have to take your word for it. I could never get past the irritated looks on the animals' faces as he was "wrestling" with them or generally pissing them off.

Umm.... he wasn't "wrestling" with crocs for the sake of it. He was relocating them!

I still can't believe that he is gone. I don't want to believe it. It just feels so wrong. :(

I remember watching the show when she passed away, I think from cancer I believe...but I'm the worst person with time. I was shocked to learn that his daughter is 8 years old!! I remember watching the special when she was born & how excited he was ..
and I probably would have said that was 3 years ago. But 8?!?! Geez, how time flies.

Late last night while in bed I flipped on the TV and surfed channels but stopped on several channels who were airing interviews, footage and coverage of Steve Irwin and his shocking tragic death. There was a Larry King interview with his business partner, Cousteau's son and others and there was a show on Animal Planet and some other channel. Very very sad loss. RIP Steve.

i still can't come to terms with this.... apparently there is footage of the stingray incident/accident... and people close to Steve want it destroyed... I agree, it will be horrible if this was made public.. and having it around always leaves the chance of an accidental leak or some sick freak getting hold of it and selling it on the net.

shortfuse said:
i still can't come to terms with this.... apparently there is footage of the stingray incident/accident... and people close to Steve want it destroyed... I agree, it will be horrible if this was made public.. and having it around always leaves the chance of an accidental leak or some sick freak getting hold of it and selling it on the net.

I hope it does get destroyed that video should not be up for anyone's viewing.

WildHoneyAlways said:

When did Sui die? :(

Sorry I missed that. Sui the staffy terrier died in June, 2004. I remember when it happened, I think she had cancer, or some ailment and had to be put down. :(

shortfuse said:

Unfortunately it is already on the net, i didnt watch it, it was on a link when i was looking for something.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Sorry I missed that. Sui the staffy terrier died in June, 2004. I remember when it happened, I think she had cancer, or some ailment and had to be put down. :(

Yeah i remember that, he slept next to Sui all night didnt he?

Back
Top Bottom