MERGED --> Steve Irwin (aka Crocodile Hunter) dead?? + Terri Irwin Interview - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #151
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 06:20 AM
For anyone who is interested, Jay Leno is supposed to be doing a tribute for him on tonights show.

Angelordevil, my thoughts are with you and yours as well. I'm so sorry about your grandma.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #152
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Until all this, I never knew how popular he was.
I've got to say I had no idea how well known he was overseas. It was once said that he never made it here until he cracked America. Perhaps that is truer than I ever gave prior credit. Perhaps though, it is more that I just thought he was well known, not 'popular' per se. I'd read or hear people from overseas mocking his accent for example. It's the same accent 20 million of us have, and it used to piss me off to hear people harp on about it. The way he spoke was different, definitely, we might say crikey, but not while watching a funnel web drip venom from it's fangs. Anyway, the point is, people from overseas seemed to be focusing on how he dressed or talked and completely (seemed) to miss what he was actually doing, which was passionately promoting and spreading awareness for the environment and animal protection. He was a driven man. The way he carried on is and was absolutely irrelevant. If it helped someone take a liking to him, then great, but the work he did was just tremendous.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by ~BrightestStar~
For anyone who is interested, Jay Leno is supposed to be doing a tribute for him on tonights show.
It was really nice. Just a nice collection of clips to show what a great goofy lovable guy he was. I bet Jay misses him dearly. They were great friends.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 PM   #154
She's the One

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
but the work he did was just tremendous.
I'll have to take your word for it. I could never get past the irritated looks on the animals' faces as he was "wrestling" with them or generally pissing them off.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:28 AM   #155
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I'll have to take your word for it. I could never get past the irritated looks on the animals' faces as he was "wrestling" with them or generally pissing them off.
LOL, can crocodiles show emotion and look annoyed? Seriously, Steve did a lot for animals and conserving wildlife. He was insanely passionate about all of that stuff and did a lot of good work.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:03 AM   #156
Refugee

Local Time: 09:20 PM
I havnt posted here in quite some time, not since an infamous moment....but anyway.... I have been lurking here and there due to the upcoming tour and I wanted to give my two cents on this very sad story, here is something that I wrote another site...

as someone whose hometown is the Sunshine Coast and whose last place of residence ( I moved to the Gold Coast last August) was only 5kms south of Australia Zoo, this is such sad news. I did a BA with a major in environmental studies at the University of the Sunshine Coast and the year I graduated (2000), Steve was awarded an Honorary Fellowship- due to his conservation work and his impact on the Sunshine Coast community. I can not stress how sad this is, he did so much for conservation, environmental awareness and promoted the Sunshine Coast, Queensland and Australia with pride. I only hope that his work and ethics are not forgotten..
Old 09-06-2006, 06:43 AM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ~BrightestStar~

here is Jay's tribute video:

Old 09-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #158
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:20 AM
Looks like a state funeral for Steve.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

I've got to say I had no idea how well known he was overseas. It was once said that he never made it here until he cracked America. Perhaps that is truer than I ever gave prior credit. Perhaps though, it is more that I just thought he was well known, not 'popular' per se. I'd read or hear people from overseas mocking his accent for example. It's the same accent 20 million of us have, and it used to piss me off to hear people harp on about it. The way he spoke was different, definitely, we might say crikey, but not while watching a funnel web drip venom from it's fangs. Anyway, the point is, people from overseas seemed to be focusing on how he dressed or talked and completely (seemed) to miss what he was actually doing, which was passionately promoting and spreading awareness for the environment and animal protection. He was a driven man. The way he carried on is and was absolutely irrelevant. If it helped someone take a liking to him, then great, but the work he did was just tremendous.
I'm from the US and I totally agree. I thought I was the only one around who really loved him. Until Monday, I was just a closet Steve Irwin fan because it seemed like everyone else only knew about him in reference to his accent or his khakis.

Steve Irwin did not provoke animals; he did not "wrestle" crocs. I've watched him over and over and over and he was extremely intelligent, very safe (as safe as you can be when saving the life of a 1-ton animal). The man was raised around reptiles and was one of the world's experts on reptiles. I was defending him last night and my dad said "well yeah what do you expect when the man always jumps on crocodiles?" Steve Irwin was NOT the type to randomly leap onto a 15 foot saltwater croc just for the sake of show. His gig was about conservation and protection, not provocation and exploitation. He invented things that made the process of capturing the croc, gathering data, doing any veterinary work, and then releasing more efficient, painless for the animal, and safer for the humans. How many people in this world devote their lives to seeking out the kinds of animals that no one else seems to care about and making sure their homes are protected and they're kept in good health?

I think I'm still in shock over this. I cried when his DOG died....I don't think this has really sunk in yet....
Old 09-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

He was always so full of life...I can't imagine him without it...
Old 09-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #161
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Irwin's Dad Says He Lost His "Best Mate"

The fond remembrances of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin continued to flow in after his tragic accidental death over the weekend, but perhaps the most touching of all came today from his father, Bob, in Queensland. "Steve and I weren't like father and son, we never were," said Bob Irwin, outside Australia Zoo, the animal park that Steve made famous and that Bob had owned himself and handed over to his son. "We were good mates. I'll remember Steve as my best mate ever."

Bob Irwin also said that Australian authorities have offered to give his son a state funeral but that his family was unlikely to accept. "The state funeral would be refused ... because he's an ordinary guy, he's just an ordinary bloke." Prime Minister John Howard interrupted Parliament on Tuesday to pay tribute to Irwin.

Wearing a khaki shirt and shorts in the same way that Steve did, Bob Irwin also told reporters that he and his son were natural risk-takers. "Both of us over the years have had some very close shaves. We made jokes of it. That's not to say that we were careless but we treated it like it was just part of the job."

All of this is just so heartbreaking. Feel so incredibly bad for Steve's family
Old 09-06-2006, 12:01 PM   #162
Blue Crack Addict

For anyone who is on Facebook, there are already over 500 groups memorializing him...I just joined one that says "Steve Irwin-I Would've Taken That Sting Ray Barb In The Heart For Him" and it already has over 4,000 members.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #163
Acrobat

I cant believe this has hit me so hard, i cant stop thinking about it, ive just seen the Leno thing and other tributes and its
Old 09-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #164
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:20 AM
I'm currently in the R.I.P. Steve Irwin facebook group.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #165
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally posted by waynetravis

here is Jay's tribute video: