MERGED-->Springsteen - Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
Springsteen!!! 3 Hours 20 Minutes!!

Bruce's concert last night lasted 3 hours and 20 minutes! I wish U2 would do that. Here is the setlist -

1. The Promised Land
2. The Rising
3. Lonesome Day
4. Jackson Cage
5. My Love Will Not Let You Down
6. Atlantic City
7. Empty Sky
8. The River
9. Waitin' On A Sunny Day
10. Darlington County
11. Growin' Up
12. Worlds Apart
13. Badlands
14. She's The One
15. Mary's Place
(into Dancing in the Streets)
16. Racing In The Street
17. Into The Fire
18. No Surrender
------------------
19. Thunder Road
20. Hungry Heart
21. Ramrod
22. Born To Run
23. Detroit Medley
-----------------
24. My City Of Ruins
25. Land Of Hope And Dreams
26. Dancing In The Dark
27. Twist and Shout

Man...if only U2 could do 27 songs! Dang!:)

Apparently, he played Twist And Shout twice! Yep, they played the song, finished it, went to the front of the stage waving goodbye and the crowd was so enthousiastic they picked up their instruments again and played for another few minutes!

The second night in Rotterdam was excellent, but I wouldn't have mind to be in Gothenburg yesterday. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't have been able to be in Utrecht the day before, where REM was playing in a small club (600-800 people). You have to make some choices.

But it's great that Bruce is back to his marathon concerts. And this time there is no intermission to catch a breath...

C ya!

Marty

Springsteen to play Fenway Park

i didn't know wether to post this in Just the Bang and the Clatter, or in Keep 'em Under Pressure, seeing as it's a significant music and sports story... so i put 'em in both.

It won't end the curse of the Bambino. But it's a decent alternative.

For the first time in its 91-year history, Fenway Park will play host to a major rock concert when Bruce Springsteen and his E Street Band perform on Sept. 6.

Springsteen announced his concert dates on Monday, and Fenway is one of four baseball parks that Springsteen will play during a series of concerts in August and September.

The other baseball venues are: Comiskey Park in Chicago (Aug. 13); Comerica Park in Detroit (Sept. 21); and Miller Park in Milwaukee (Sept. 27).

The Red Sox will not be too far away when Springsteen shows up in Boston. The club has a three-game series that weekend in New York at Yankee Stadium.

Sept. 6 will not be the first time Fenway has hosted a musical group. Rock group Smashmouth performed there during All-Star Week festivities in 1999. The park also hosted a Christian musical ceremony during the Catholic Church Jubilee in 2000.

Obviously, neither of those acts are on the same magnitude as Springsteen. But current Red Sox owners John Henry and Tom Werner are trying to extend Fenway's use beyond baseball and to the community. They sought the city's permission to use Fenway as a venue for Springsteen, and received the go-ahead on Monday after the Office of Consumer Affairs and Licensing gauged public interest.

Don't expect, however, to see Fenway hosting concerts every time the Red Sox are away. Some residents who live near the venerable stadium worry about the noise factor a rock concert would generate.

"I don't think Fenway Park would be an appropriate venue for a regular concert series. The noise would just be overwhelming,'' Bill Richardson, president of the Fenway Civic Association, told the Boston Globe prior to Monday's announcement. ''But if (Springsteen) did show up, I'd be sitting on my roof deck listening in. It would be something.''

Springsteen is not unfamiliar with baseball, having thrown a few pitches during his video, "Glory Days."

In addition, members of his tour group have formed a softball team called the E Street Kings.

Even his performances can draw baseball analogies. A review by the Detroit News on a Springsteen concert on HBO said, "Every single song slams home like a baseball bat to the chest."

Springsteen will also play at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C. (Sept. 14) and Ralph J. Wilson Stadium in Buffalo (Sept. 20).

The six concerts extends Springsteen's current tour that started on Aug. 7 and has sold more than three million tickets. Additional stadium dates will be announced in July.

Detroit goes on sale Aug 8th or 9th (cant remember exactly). Parking and traffic will be a nightmare as there is a Lions game at Ford Field accross the street the afternoon of the show. Not very good planning by the Boss's tour management.

Hello,

For those on the West Coast of the USA (California), if you want to see Bruce, here are some new concerts!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 22, 2003
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND ANNOUNCE WEST COAST STADIUM TOUR DATES

Springsteen and the Band to play their first show in San Francisco since 1978 (Pacific Bell Park, August 16) and first ever show at Los Angeles's Dodger Stadium (August 17).
Tickets on sale Monday, July 28 at 10:00am

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band have announced two new concert dates on the West Coast: August 16 at San Francisco's Pacific Bell Park and August 17 at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. The shows are Springsteen and the Band's only stadium appearances in California scheduled for their current 2002-2003 world tour, and, along with an already announced date in Denver, CO, the tour's only West Coast concerts.

Tickets for both shows go on sale Monday, July 28 at 10:00 am. Visit Ticketmaster.com or contact the venues for specific information on ticket sales.

The California dates are historically significant for Springsteen and the Band, marking their first concert ever at Dodger Stadium and their first concert in the city of San Francisco since a 1978 show at the legendary Winterland club.

These dates extend Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's 2002-2003 tour - widely considered the best and most successful in the world of the last year. Since it began on August 7, 2002, Springsteen and the E Street Band have sold an astonishing near-3 million tickets worldwide, including 1.1 million on their recent 24 date, 13 city European tour and over 1.1 million so far for this summer's US stadium tour.

Opening the current US run (and a historic 10-show run at Giants Stadium) on July 15, Springsteen and the Band drew critical praise. USA Today's Elysa Gardner wrote, "...This homecoming party proved an unqualified, and timely, success."

The New York Times' Michael Wilson called the 10-show run "one of the biggest stories in open-air entertainment since the Christians and the lions," while the New York Daily News' David Hinckley described the crowd's reaction as "a roar that could be heard practically in Atlantic City."

Springsteen's latest album, 'The Rising,' was released by Columbia Records on July 30, 2002.

C ya!

Marty

Notes from Backstreets.com:

July 24 / East Rutherford, NJ / Giants Stadium
Notes: Dry at last, night five opens with "The Promised Land." While the show is back down to 24 songs, there are some genuine rarities in the set: the once-in-a-blue-moon "Streets of Fire" shows up early, its second performance on this tour. "Meeting Across the River" with Garry on stand-up bass leads into "Jungleland," and "Sandy" kicks off the encores. "Working on the Highway" gets that washboard/hootenanny treatment, and "Rosie" keeps a-comin', now five for five.
Setlist: The Promised Land/The Rising/Lonesome Day/Streets of Fire/My Love Will Not Let You Down/Prove It All Night/Empty Sky/Waitin' on a Sunny Day/Working on the Highway/Worlds Apart/Badlands/She's the One/Mary's Place/Meeting Across the River/Jungleland/Into the Fire/No Surrender
First Encore: 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)/Ramrod/Born to Run
Second Encore: My City of Ruins/Land of Hope and Dreams/Rosalita/Dancing in the Dark

My personal notes:
Dazed and amazed!!! I've seen Bruce!!
It might have been the outdoor venue, but I did not have a religious experience (as I typically do at a U2 or Peter Gabriel concert).
Very serious weeping during 'Empty Sky' and 'Into the Fire', after a very emotional day which included a trip to Ground Zero.
Noticed I was one of the younger audience members, other than kids brought by their parents. Quite a surprise as I'm 37.
Some of the songs seemed to be drawn out a little longer than necessary.
I'm anxiously awaiting Fenway!!

Hey guys....if anyone is going to be in the Toronto area on Sept 10, I have a reasonably good pair of Springsteen Tix that I am trying to sell (as I got my tickets upgraded to the *ahem* front row!) Sorry, I'm still kind of :hyper: about that!

Anyway, before I go to ebay or one of the Springsteen groups, I thought I'd mention it if anyone is interested. :)

Hello,

Have any of you seen the setlist from the last night in Philadelphia (or actually been there)? Oh wow! :faint: Opening with a rarity (From Small Things) and including Night, Atlantic City, I'm Going Down (first time since 1986), etc., etc., etc.

To all those who are still going, have fun. To those who have the ability to go but don't have a ticket yet: BUY ONE... NOW! And to those who are unable to see him now: hopefully there will be a next time.

C ya!

Marty

edited: Oh well, why not post the whole setlist? They are always interesting...

1) FROM SMALL THINGS
2) the rising
3) lonesome day
4) NIGHT
5) BE TRUE
6) ATLANTIC CITY
7) empty sky
8) waitin' on a sunny day
9) Darlington county
a big time audible - nils had to run and switch instruments..
10) SAINT IN THE CITY
11) worlds apart
12) badlands
13) Out In The Street
14) mary's place
15) STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA
16) into the fire
17) thunder road
end of main set

18 incident (full band)
19) I'M GOIN' DOWN
20) ramrod
21) BTR

22) my city of ruins
23) LOHAD
24) PRETTY FLAMINGO
25) rosalita
26) DITD
27) I'm a rocker

Last edited:
Hello,

Looking at the setlist it seemed like another great Bruce show. Adam Raised A Cain! I really want to hear that one live. And to satisfy LM_PA, he also played Rosalita!

R is for Roy, because that's his name
O is for the pianO, because that's his game
Y? Because he likes it!

C ya!

Marty (sorry for those who don't recognise the snippet)

Hello,

Before I start making the wrong type of comments, shall we just agree to disagree?

Heard him play The River acoustically in Rotterdam last October. Broke my heart, such a sad song. :sad:

So we already have Rosie and River, any more requests? :)

C ya!

Marty

edited to add:
P.S. I don't know if you all know http://www.joosse.org but that site has plenty of trees running with recent Bruce concerts. It may take a while for a tree to complete, but it is an easy way to obtain recordings. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Oh, Marty, if he plays Adam I will have to leave. I HATE that song!! lol :silent:
That's one of my favorite Bruce songs, Adam Raised a Cain back to back with Candy's Room, that would rock.

Then go listen to it on your Winterland Night boot. Or on Live 1975-1985, a live set every Bruce fan should own! Oh wait, you don't have that one. :tongue:

:D

Naah, everyone has his/her own likes and dislikes. ;)

C ya!

Marty

my coworker told me the other day, he may have a spare ticket to Aug. 30 Giants Stadium, Section 1 row 10. I am first on his list but i doubt that will workout. Either way I am seeing him in DC in Sept and I can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom