MERGED ----> Sigur is cooler than Ros, but Ros is way more dreamy... + i'm getting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Sigur is cooler than Ros, but Ros is way more dreamy (new Sigur Ros album/tour news)

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-06/24.shtml#sigur

Sigur Rós Album in Final Stages

Kati Llewellyn reports:
After more than a year-and-a-half of recording, Sigur Rós's new album, untitled as of yet (though an unnamed album isn't too far from the title ( )), is in New York for mastering. A specific release date has not been determined, but the band is aiming for an autumn release.

In an interview with Sigur Rós for the Icelandic newspaper Morgunblaðið, writer Arnar Eggert Thoroddsen had the privilege of sampling the new album. On this experience, he wrote, "The songs I heard didn't exactly fall under the short pop/rock structure which is rumoured to be the theme of the new album, but it's clear that there is a transition in style here: The songs are more focused, while at the same time more 'rock and roll' than previous material." Sigur Rós...rock and roll? Hmm.

Since the band's last album, ( ), a lot has happened in addition to recording. They released a soundtrack to the film Hlemmur, toured, and assisted the Album Leaf's Jimmy Lavelle with his latest album...not to mention the Grammy nominations and an MTV award for Best Video.

Keyboardist Kjartan Sveinsson told Thoroddsen that the recording process went smoothly, coming together better than ( ). When questioned on the new album's ideology, he went on to say that "it was just a natural progression from the last album. The last album was so heavy, so it felt better to rock this one out. Damn, that was a really lame sentence." One lame sentence? We can deal...as long as the record's good, anyway.

In the meantime, Sigur Rós head out on an extensive tour at the beginning of July, and look, dates:

07-08 Glasgow, Scotland - Academy
07-09 Manchester, England - Lowry Theatre
07-12 Paris, France - Olympia
07-13 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Paradiso
07-14 Brussels, Belgium - Cirque Royal
07-16 Copenhagen, Denmark - Vega Main Hall
07-17 Hamburg, Germany - Stadtpark
07-19 Frankfurt, Germany - Jahrhunderthalle
07-20 Berlin, Germany - Columbiahalle
07-22 Munich, Germany - Circus Krone
07-25 Rome, Italy - Cavea Auditorium
07-26 Milan, Italy - Villa Arconati
07-31 Naeba, Japan - Fuji Rock Festival
08-03 Melbourne, Australia - Hamer Hall
08-04 Sydney, Australia - The Enmore
08-05 Brisbane, Australia - The Tivoli
08-09 Honolulu, HI - Hawaii Theatre
09-06 Atlanta, GA - Atlanta Symphony Hall
09-07 Durham, NC - Carolina Theatre
09-09 Philadelphia, PA - Tower Theatre
09-11 North Bethesda, MA - The Music Center at Strathmore
09-12 New York City, NY - Beacon Theatre
09-13 New York City, NY - Beacon Theatre
09-15 Boston, MA - Opera House
09-16 Montreal, Quebec - ThŽ‰tre Maisonneeuve
09-18 Ottawa, Ontario - TBA
09-19 Toronto, Ontario - Massey Hall
09-20 Ann Arbor, MI - The Michigan Theatre
09-21 Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre
09-23 Madison, WI - Orpheum Theatre
09-24 Minneapolis, MN - State Theatre
09-27 Vancouver, British Columbia - Orpheum
09-28 Seattle, WA - Paramount Theatre
09-29 Portland, OR - Roseland Theatre
10-01 Oakland, CA - Paramount Theatre
10-03 San Diego, CA - Copley Symphony Hall
10-05 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl
06-10 Las Vegas, NV - The Joint

* Sigur Rós: http://sigur-ros.co.uk/

I'm ready for a new album. VERY ready.

If they are coming near you on tour and you dont go, I will kill myself just so I can turn into a ghost to haunt you. That's how upset I am that they're not coming near me.

They're not coming near me either. :scream: A couple of odd dates, actually, like Durham, NC, and Madison, WI, but not CO or AZ? :banghead:

Sheesh, you think Icelanders would have a better knowledge of US geography!!!!!!! :angry:

:wink:

Maybe I will have to enforce some kind of trip to Vegas....

joyfulgirl said:
They're not coming near me either. :scream: A couple of odd dates, actually, like Durham, NC, and Madison, WI, but not CO or AZ? :banghead:

Madison, WI is a pretty progressive college town. Actually, it's pretty good choice, if you ask me.

Hell, when PopMart came to Wisconsin, U2 played Madison and not Milwaukee.

JessicaAnn said:

Madison, WI is a pretty progressive college town. Actually, it's pretty good choice, if you ask me.

Hell, when PopMart came to Wisconsin, U2 played Madison and not Milwaukee.

Sorry, no offense intended. My first reaction when seeing the schedule was that they're just doing the obvious big cities plus Durham and Madison and it struck me as odd. Maybe you'll get to go. I mean, you better go. :angry:

joyfulgirl said:

Maybe you'll get to go. I mean, you better go. :angry:

Seriously though, you better. Go read my ghost comments again if you need a reminder. Believe me you, you dont want me haunting you.

What's the difference? I mean, if you can't speak Icelandic, how can you tell when Jonsi is singing in Icelandic and not Hopelandic. Unless you can speak Icelandic.

Anyway that's some very good news. I was wondering about Sigur and Ros the other day and what they were up to.

yertle-the-turtle said:
What's the difference? I mean, if you can't speak Icelandic, how can you tell when Jonsi is singing in Icelandic and not Hopelandic. Unless you can speak Icelandic.

I was wondering the exact same thing.

Meh, they kinda lost me on the last album.
I liked it for a while, but got boring quick. In fact, I'm all but done with post-rock.
I'm interested to see if they pull out some some more "songy" type pieces on this album

Basstrap said:
Meh, they kinda lost me on the last album.
I liked it for a while, but got boring quick. In fact, I'm all but done with post-rock.
I'm interested to see if they pull out some some more "songy" type pieces on this album

Damn, talk about hit it and quit it......:drool:

So I'm seeing U2 4 times the week before.

And Pearl Jam is in town the same day, which I was considering seeing.

But I'd way rather see Sigur Ros. :drool:

joyfulgirl said:
My first reaction when seeing the schedule was that they're just doing the obvious big cities plus Durham and Madison and it struck me as odd.

You left out North Bethesda, MASS., Ann Arbor and Honolulu as "not so obvious big cities" that bands rarely play.

I saw them a couple years ago, amazing show, if you plan on going, dig up my old thread, its worth a read. Too bad they arent nearby for this tour....

zonelistener said:

You left out North Bethesda, MASS., Ann Arbor and Honolulu as "not so obvious big cities" that bands rarely play.

That was a typo on the Pitchfork site. Its not North Bethesda Mass, its North Bethesda Maryland about 5 miles outside of DC.

Hey bands I like,

Why not come over to Singapore to acclimatise when you leave Japan and head for Australia? Just a suggestion.

+ Pitchfork was wrong? Woot! Yay! Uh, I think.

Ooooh they're coming to Ottawa? :drool:

I just bought Agaetis Byrjun. Don't know much of () except a few tracks. Is "Von" worth it?

Anyway I hear they're great live so I might try and get tickets. This is turning out to be a great music summer!

I am so glad they are coming to Australia (seeing the Melb and Syd gigs) - however they stated they are only coming here because they are playing Japan and thus it is cost effective. This is the problem with being an Aussie. The market is huge, but not huge enough... but Sigur Ros toring makes me glad to be here!!

Right around some U2 and Dead Can Dance.. perhaps that will be a hugely expensive week. I just want to know how to properly secure ticketses.

I was on their website and saw this today:

new album information- 2nd july 2005
we managed to find out some more about the new album. it contains 11 tracks (not 10 as previously reported), amounting to 65 minutes of music. the songs we called 'gong' and 'mílanó' are the only songs on the album which we have heard at concerts before. the album is still nameless and the tracks' titles are currently unknown to us. the album's release date is tentatively aimed for september but there will be an online mp3 release of the first single in august. most of the album's vocals are sung in icelandic.

t a k k . . .- 10th july 2005
we can now announce that the title of the new sigur rós album is takk..., which is icelandic for "thanks". it will be released september 12th on EMI records. we at sigur-ros.co.uk got a chance to listen to the album recently and for our money it's the best thing the band has ever released. we can't wait for the world to hear it. the tracklist on takk... is as follows:

1. takk...
2. glósóli
3. hoppípolla
4. með blóðnasir
5. sé lest
6. sæglópur
7. mílanó
8. gong
9. andvari
10. svo hljótt
11. heysátan

and translations:

1. Takk ...
(Thanks)
2. Glósóli
(Glowsun)
3. Hoppípolla
(Hopping in Puddles)
4. Með Blóðnasir
(I've Got a Nosebleed)
5. Sé Lest
(I See a Train)
6. Sæglópur
(Lost at Sea)
7. Mílanó
(Milan)
8. Gong
(Gong)
9. Andvari
(Zephyr)
10. Svo Hljótt
(So Quietly)
11. Heysátan
(Haystack)

Yes, I've been reading about it and impressions and such.

I dont want to download the whole thing (I set up a personal standard that way), but I would like the single. The only problem is, I cant figure out what the single is. I've seen on some sites that it's 'Gong' and on others that it's 'Glósóli'. Anyone else know?

Back
Top Bottom