MERGED ---> Rock Star: INXS + Rock star INXS + And the new lead singer of INXS is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Rock Star: INXS

Does this new 'reality' show just tick off anyone else?

A legend-in-the-making in Michael Hutchence kills himself tragically, and this is how he is replaced? With a reality TV show?

If this isn't selling out, I don't know what is.

Hutch is probably rolling over in his grave.

I don't blame the other band members for wanting to still carry on and make music, but it's too bad this is the way they chose to do it.

I'm probably going to watch it, though, because I dig reality shows where people have to sing. :reject:

Yeah sic 'em all-powerful Bono, for it is the will of your people.

Haven't seen the show or even the previews, but...

Agreed that you can't blame the other band members for wanting to continue to make music, and who knows some of them may be kidding even themselves enough to believe that that's what it's about. The music, man. The legacy. But I declare shenanigans! Shenanigans! No wait.. sell-out!

It's an insult to the memory of Michael, who perhaps even in post-mortem state has more charisma than the collective band and contestants. Hm that's a bit snarky, I take that back. (But he does..)

Outrage aside, isn't anyone surprised that the show made it past the initial concept phase? And when it inevitably comes time to cut an album, who's writing the material? It's been a long time since the last hit, guys..

Outrage aside, isn't anyone surprised that the show made it past the initial concept phase?

No. Have you SEEN the state of TV lately? If it's not a reality show or some form of "Law and Order," it ain't on. :wink:

There's also going to be a TLC-reality show where they search for a replacement for Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez.

Even though I'll probably watch it, I have to say the potential "rock stars" in the running on the commercials look mega-lame.

Whatev. Someone let me know when "America's Next Top Model" comes back on.

I loved that band and still do! I am appauled they are replacing Michael Hutchence through reality tv. No matter how they try or what they do they will never be the same. They should've atleast changed their name from INXS to something else :|

Michael :drool:

corianderstem said:

No. Have you SEEN the state of TV lately? If it's not a reality show or some form of "Law and Order," it ain't on. :wink:

Yeah so true, even the TV here in Aus is saturated with all manner of crime TV. It strikes a chord with us apparently, what with our convict heritage and all. :)

Ditto the saturation of reality TV shows. In the case of the INXS show I just figured there'd simply be little or no interest. The band is ancient now, and well past its heyday. But otherwise.. yeah, it's not like the execs use appropriateness as part of their criteria to decide whether or not to give shows the go ahead, is it?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I hate this idea with the fire of a thousand suns. If the Farris brothers & friends wish to carry on, they should drop the INXS name.

This show is an insult to Michael's memory.

The show is going to be such a sell-out! And you know it's going to be super cheesy.

I can already see the first episode. They're going to have some sappy, over-the-top tribute to Michael Hutchence with like "Never Tear Us Apart" or "Not Enough Time" or some sad, slow INXS song playing in the background, maybe "Don't Change" (which would be ironic).

And after the sappy, staged tribute then there will be something like, "But that was then, and now INXS are ready to move ahead and ROCK!" And then there will be all this quick editing and loud music and they'll show all those cheesy contestents in their best wannabe Michael Hutchence poses.

UGH! It's so predictable! Do we even have to watch.

MH was the best thing about INXS. His voice, his sass, his earnestness. Now that he's gone, INXS as we used to know them should go too. If the rest want to morph into another band, fine . . . but don't desecrate the memory of INXS.

Ok, I'm now stepping off my soapbox. Thank you all for listening.

FitzChivalry said:
I can already see the first episode. They're going to have some sappy, over-the-top tribute to Michael Hutchence with like "Never Tear Us Apart" or "Not Enough Time" or some sad, slow INXS song playing in the background, maybe "Don't Change" (which would be ironic).

your entire post was excellent :up:

and i'd like to think that they'll begin the show with a tribute to michael, but seeing how the ads for the show barely mention him, and their best of INXS cd doesn't mention him AT ALL (not even a dedication!) i'd be really surprised.

it's almost as if the rest of the band resent his death or something.

poor michael :sigh:

I saw an ad for the show a couple of weeks ago. There was a line that went something like "This isn't bubblegum. This is rock and roll!" and I about puked. INXS used to be rock and roll - now they have just sold their souls to fit into what clueless reality TV execs think is rock and roll.

I sincerely hope any of you who have expressed anger over this will not watch it, even 'out of curiosity'.

Personally I'm not an INXS fan but even then I find the idea to be fairly repulsive.

bonosgirl84 said:

it's almost as if the rest of the band resent his death or something.

I imagine they do resent his death. He got the brunt of it (duh!), but it was his choice, and it certainly fucks with their lives also. So I can imagine there's a bit of "screw him" going on.

I would say this idea is a bad business decision because who going to take them seriously now, but then I think about it and Hutchence has been dead for over 7 1/2 years which in pop culture is a very long time. Certainly they will lose many, perhaps even most, of their long time fans, but there is a whole slew of people who don't really know INXS and have no attachment to Hutchence. Yes, it's tasteless, but an awful lot of people are attracted to tasteless. Plus they have a slew of very catchy songs already set up and ready to go.

Sadly, it just might work. :|

indra said:
but it was his choice

i know this is an entirely different thread topic so i won't mention it again, but i'm not exactly sure that it was a suicide. i think it might have been listed as the "official cause" but there are many people, besides myself, who just don't buy it.

bonosgirl84 said:

i know this is an entirely different thread topic so i won't mention it again, but i'm not exactly sure that it was a suicide. i think it might have been listed as the "official cause" but there are many people, besides myself, who just don't buy it.

So autoerotic asphyxiation?

Even if that's the case, he chose to do it and had to be aware that death could very possibly result. So his making the choice still would apply.

I don't see that it matters which is listed as the official cause of death, and if suicide is easier for his family I don't see the harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom