MERGED ---> Rock Star: INXS + Rock star INXS + And the new lead singer of INXS is... - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #406
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
STING, I think you are simply not following the argument.

And don't ever apply for a job in the music industry
The Music Industry basis current popularity in any given region on album sales and concert ticket sales. That is the formula that has been used to gauge success for decades. Start reading Billboard magazine and you'll see what I mean. When Paul McGuinness discusses the business side of U2, he talks about U2's album selling strength and Concert drawing strength. For instance, in the U2 POPMART documentary from 1997, Paul McGuiness talks about both factors and talks about how U2 were much further ahead as a concert drawing band than as an album selling band until 1987 when massive album sales figures for the Joshua Tree started coming in.

I understand how people in Australia have some deep cultural fondness for INXS. But in the Music industry, that does not mean anything if it does not translate into Album Sales and Concert ticket Sales.

I can see how people in Australia may not have liked INXS albums much after 1990, but if the band were still so vastly popular as other people here claim they were, then the band would have no problem selling concert tickets.

If INXS is in town the night that Savage Garden are, but more people go to the Savage Garden show than the INXS show, then Savage Garden are indeed the bigger concert draw at that time. If INXS was indeed the more popular band at that time, there would be more people going to the INXS show.

People show what they really like when they pay for it.

Old 10-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #407
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
I'm going to have to go with Earnie & Angela on this one.

Popularity extends far beyond record sales and concert sales in this country. In this thread there have been a few recurring band names mentioned along with INXS... Crowded House, Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel etc. The reason for this is there are a handful of bands who managed to transcend the music "buisness" and become a part of the culture and ethos of the country. This is so drastically removed from US ideas, that unless you actually live it, you can't quite grasp it.

As much as I think INXS is over rated, there is no doubting their immense stature within the country. When they played out Wembley, they pretty much sealed their place in the countrY'S folklore, like the America's Cup win, like the Olympics announcment etc.

Sure in 1997 they had the drawing power of three year old, but people sure cared a helluva a lot more about Michael Hutchance & INXS then they did about Savage Garden, who were the most popular thing at the time.

A further example of how popularity transcends charts in Australia. There is a song by Hunters & Collectors called Throw Your Arms Around Me. This song was released as a single, twice - neither time did it crack the Top 40. Yet it recurringly is voted the best & most popular song ever written by Australians... And I can gurantee Earnie, Angela and any other Australian on the board will know it line for line.

No one is disputing that INXS were not the "it" band in 1997, but they were carried by their, (deserved or not) terminal popularity, which they will have forever.
What gets played on the radio is complicated by other factors that don't necessarily have anything to do with actual sales or popularity. But, album sales and concert ticket sales are the essential inputs in determining popularity. Sure, a lot of people may not like INXS albums after X and did not buy them. But if they still loved the group, they would try and go to see them. Most people are willing to pay to see their favorite or one of their favorite artist in concert. In 1997, why would most Australians claiming INXS as one of their favorite bands not pay to see them in concert and instead use the money to see another artist who they did not like as much?

Old 10-01-2005, 06:26 PM   #408
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:32 PM
STING, you are completely missing the argument here. If I were you I would shut up now as the more you contribute the more foolish you sound.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #409
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
People show what they really like when they pay for it.
Haha, yes. But for some reason, you don't seem to agree when we're talking about Beatles
Old 10-01-2005, 07:23 PM   #410
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

Haha, yes. But for some reason, you don't seem to agree when we're talking about Beatles
I don't see where I ever said that did not apply to the Beatles.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #411
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
STING, you are completely missing the argument here. If I were you I would shut up now as the more you contribute the more foolish you sound.
On the contrary, I would avoid making such personal comments such as telling another poster to "shut up" or claims that the "more another member contributes the more foolish they sound". Check the Faq/rules of this website if you do not understand.

How am I completely missing the arguement here?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #412
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

On the contrary, I would avoid making such personal comments such as telling another poster to "shut up" or claims that the "more another member contributes the more foolish they sound". Check the Faq/rules of this website if you do not understand.

Cool. That's you're call. It was just a suggestion.

Please continue posting off topic remarks. I do enjoy nonsense threads.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:14 PM   #413
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:32 PM
Quote:

What gets played on the radio is complicated by other factors that don't necessarily have anything to do with actual sales or popularity. But, album sales and concert ticket sales are the essential inputs in determining popularity. Sure, a lot of people may not like INXS albums after X and did not buy them. But if they still loved the group, they would try and go to see them. Most people are willing to pay to see their favorite or one of their favorite artist in concert. In 1997, why would most Australians claiming INXS as one of their favorite bands not pay to see them in concert and instead use the money to see another artist who they did not like as much?
I didn't think it would come to this but...

Quote:
pop·u·lar·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ppy-lr-t)
n.
The quality or state of being popular, especially the state of being widely admired, accepted, or sought after.
Everyone agrees that on a purely sales level INXS were not popular post-X. What we are trying to say is that they were still widely admired, accepted and sought after. The people still very much admired the INXS of INXS->X period and had they churned out anything remotely appealing to that audience post X it would piss in platinum easy (which their Greatest Hits did).

Look at it like a piece of fruit. I like strawberrys, infact I love strawberrys, a lot of people do. But next year, if strawberry season turns out some awful fruit I'm not going to buy it. Does it mean I like/love strawberrys any more/less? No. I just am not going to buy a sub-standard product despite how much I love it. INXS went that way publicaly post-X, their albums were unfocused and their live performances (from what I've read/heard) were pretentious. Thus the people didn't front.

Do you understand that you are able to have a deep love/appreciation of somthing without buying an album/purchasing a ticket to a concert?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:14 PM   #414
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:32 AM
Quote:

sting, you don't need to play backseat mod here. you continue to drag this thread more off-topic with every post, so you really have no right. this is not a charts position thread nor is it a thread comparing inxs' popularity to anyone else. it's about the show rock star inxs and the band's new line up. if you're not going to post about that, don't post in here at all, please.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:18 PM   #415
Jesus Online

Jesus Christ, I can't believe this ridiculous argument is still going. STING, listen carefully, please. Australia has 5 states worthy of tours. With me? One capital per state which usually is the host of large acts. INXS are a mix of both international success (the type detailed in a previous post who might do a grand total of say 10 shows IN TOTAL IN THIS COUNTRY PER TOUR) and also a band who can and did play anything on the small venue circuit, less so as time went on, but factual this is nonetheless.

Still with me? Ok. Australia sees this U2 reactionary griping with many bands. Dont get caught up on U2, they're being used here to paint a picture. Many bands skip this country altogether. We're isolated and starved of shows. We get them, sure. But in no means the ridiculous volume you enjoy. We also pay through the nose to allow bands to come here. We dont complain when they come, it is just the way it is. If you want to see a large international band, be prepared to spend upward of $120 AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS. With me? Ok, so what does this mean? We're not the concert-happy nation America is? Seems like it, really.

You have 3 or 4 (?) people independantly describing to you why INXS was still incredibly popular, and you are ignoring it. You have these same people telling you why tickets and cd sales do not reflect popularity in an absolute way, and you are ignoring it. You're determined to apply the same philosophy to the music industry in the US to here, and it just doesn't work.

I hereby give up. Your stubbornness is your problem, my friend.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #416
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I hereby give up.

Not before your Throw Your Arms Around Me Audit.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #417
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by beli

That's you're call.
I meant "your", not "you're". Apologies.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:25 PM   #418
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

sting, you don't need to play backseat mod here. you continue to drag this thread more off-topic with every post, so you really have no right. this is not a charts position thread nor is it a thread comparing inxs' popularity to anyone else. it's about the show rock star inxs and the band's new line up. if you're not going to post about that, don't post in here at all, please.
Khanada, you'd posted while I was still writing. I will take this as well.

Tim, sorry for not getting back to you! I'll do it as asap and either resurrect an old H&C thread or start a new one for you in B&C
Old 10-02-2005, 12:07 AM   #419
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:32 AM
STING2, I heard a rumour that you may be a cyborg. Is there any truth to this?
Old 10-02-2005, 03:12 AM   #420
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:32 PM
Quote:

I don't see where I ever said that did not apply to the Beatles.
In Peeling Of Those Dollar Bills you told me their record sales today weren't really that amazing because it could all be explained by their past and present exposure. My point was that people were buying their music, simply because they like it