MERGED ---> Rock Star: INXS + Rock star INXS + And the new lead singer of INXS is... - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2005, 02:49 AM   #376
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:56 PM
I avoided watching the entire Rock Star: INXS series because I was so disgusted with the concept. Then late last night I flipped on the TV and what do I see but a band who has some familar-looking members and a somewhat familiar sound playing on the Craig Ferguson show on CBS. I suddenly realize it is the remaining members of INXS with their new lead singer. I kept thinking he was like the lead singer of an INXS tribute band. He sort of sounds like MH, seems to be trying to make the same stage moves, but it all comes off as very forced, not natural.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:45 AM   #377
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius

I'm kind of getting your vibe. Would this analogy be anywhere near the mark?

INXS are similar to Oliva Newton John. Major success overseas, blazed many trails in regards to overseas acting for Aus/NZ actors/actresses and regarded as a bit of an Aussie Icon. Despite all that though her overall drawing power in this country border nil, despite the constant acknowledgement that she is an Australian Icon?
I think so, if I am understanding you? To be honest, I dont actually know much of what she does to get her fame beyond the Movie Which Shall Not Be Named, but it's cemented in our cultures. People my parents age will rattle of a list of her hits outside that movie, but people not knowing her hits at my age will still know that she has somehow done a lot and been around forever.

Old 09-25-2005, 10:13 AM   #378
Refugee

Local Time: 09:56 PM
The whole concept of that show bugs the crap out of me. As a singer it offends me, as an INXS fan it saddens me.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #379
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:56 PM
I had a dream last night that several members of INXS threw me into a swimming pool at a party.

I blame this TV show.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:05 PM   #380
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

While I agree that U2 beats him in filling more arenas in more areas, he certainly does belong near the top. In 2003, The Rising tour grossed $115.9 million over 47 shows in the U.S. to become at the time the second largest total for any act to earn in one calendar year, behind only the 1994 Rolling Stones tour.

By comparison, on the 1st U.S. leg of the Vertigo tour this year, U2 grossed $48.4 million over 28 shows. Figuring that the average gross per show was at $1.7 million, if you added another 19 shows to that, you'd come up with another $32.3 million, for a total of $80.7 million.

To me, Springsteen is doing just fine in North America.

I don't want to derail the thread, just wanted to comment on that. As for INXS, I will always treasure the music they made, but I'm skeptical about this new venture. If they do indeed go gold or platinum in the U.S., however, you really would have to consider it a success, but whether they would be able to build on that and sustain it is another question entirely. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.
U2 have restricted their tour to Arena's in North America on vertigo but will still out Gross Springsteen's last figure by more than 20 million dollars even though they did not play Stadiums or do other things to fully meet the demand. All of U2's shows in North America easily soldout. Most Springsteen shows out side the North Eastern United States struggled to sellout or did not sellout. There are only two markets, the New York City market and the Philadelphia market, where Springsteen can beat U2. Otherwise, anywhere else, U2 would beat Springsteen and often by a considerable margin.

Also, almost half of Bruce Springsteens Gross in 2003 in North America came from just two US cities, New York City and Philadelphia.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:14 AM   #381
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:56 PM
If you count the entire Vertigo run in North America, you'd have to include the entire Rising run as well, and it started in 2002. Add those dates in and they don't outgross him.

And while I've agreed that U2 has more widespread appeal, there aren't many places where they would do better by a considerable margin. Mostly areas to the south, but that's about it.

But who cares where the shows are, anyway? The bottom line is what counts, and he did quite well with the last full band tour.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:55 AM   #382
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius

I tend to agree with Earnie on most things, but saying INXS is U2's Australia (or anywhere near it) - is way off, not just chartwise, but in terms of influence and overall standing amongst music enthusiasts.

For my money if any band is "Australia's U2" we are looking in the general direction of Midnight Oil, possibly Cold Chisel or somthing down that vien.
Oh, I wasn't trying to say that INXS were THE definitive Australian band or anything, but that they do (and they do) hold a cultural place within music here that is more than just hits and sales and whatever. They do. Not as much as Midnight Oil or Cold Chisel, correct, but I was just trying to explain why there is a little more feeling towards it in Australia then there would be in the US, where INXS were just another medium sized band who had some hits some time ago. 'The INXS Story' is plastic in the US, but it's platinum here. They would never, ever have gotten away with trying to do that show locally.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:21 AM   #383
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:56 PM
STING, what kind of enjoyment do you get out of listening to music? Are you the kind of guy who rates films based on special effects and stunt sequences, and finally, box office and Oscars?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:43 AM   #384
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

Oh, I wasn't trying to say that INXS were THE definitive Australian band or anything, but that they do (and they do) hold a cultural place within music here that is more than just hits and sales and whatever. They do. Not as much as Midnight Oil or Cold Chisel, correct, but I was just trying to explain why there is a little more feeling towards it in Australia then there would be in the US, where INXS were just another medium sized band who had some hits some time ago. 'The INXS Story' is plastic in the US, but it's platinum here. They would never, ever have gotten away with trying to do that show locally.

I agree with you then.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:57 PM   #385
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
If you count the entire Vertigo run in North America, you'd have to include the entire Rising run as well, and it started in 2002. Add those dates in and they don't outgross him.

And while I've agreed that U2 has more widespread appeal, there aren't many places where they would do better by a considerable margin. Mostly areas to the south, but that's about it.

But who cares where the shows are, anyway? The bottom line is what counts, and he did quite well with the last full band tour.
Its true that The Rising tour in North America might outgross what is currently schedualed for the Vertigo tour in North America, but you have to remember that all of U2's shows soldout within minutes or hours with the exception of one or two shows. The Rising Tour played to as many people as it could in North America with many Arena and Stadium shows failing to sellout. The Vertigo Tour is completely soldout with most shows selling out in minutes. The Rising Tour successfully met the demand for tickets in North America, but the Vertigo Tour has seriously been underbooked.

The first 22 shows in 2002 in North America made Billboard's year end list total for the top tours. The figures for the first 22 shows of the Rising Tour are: Total Gross: $25,260,493 , Total Attendance: 347,574 , Total Capacity: 364,415 , Number of shows 22 , Number of sellouts 17. There were 16,841 tickets that were not sold from 5 shows of the first 22 of the rising tour.

On the other hand, in 2003, Springsteen of course did record business in his home town/area New York City, and his home region, the Northeastern United States.

I have the combined 2003 boxscores Grosses for Philadelphia, New York City(not including the Shea Stadium shows) and Boston and it comes out to $61,355,950. The three Shea Stadium shows would probably push the 3 city total to about $75,000,000 or about half of the entire GROSS for the North American tour, if not more than half.

But then take a look at Los Angeles, the second largest city in North America. There Springsteen played one show to 42,678 people out of a total capacity of 53,358. 10,680 tickets went unsold for this performance in Los Angeles. If U2 were playing Stadiums in the Los Angeles area, they could easily sellout 3 or more compared to Springsteen who can't even sellout one.

But this is the extent of the precise information I have on the Rising Tour. I'd have to take some time and look up the other boxscore results to find the full GROSS total as well as how good or poor other shows did.

Still, the fact remains that Springsteen is weak in the Southern and Western United States compared to other top touring artist. Outside North America, Springsteen would fall even further behind U2 in this area. U2 just set the GROSS record for Europe this summer with a $156 million Gross from just 32 stadium shows, all of which soldout on the day they went on sale. Although Vertigo North America is underbooked, the situation in Europe is even worse.

Because of the fact, there are rumors going around that the Vertigo Tour will continue into the summer of 2006 with shows in both Europe in North America. The band may decide to cut it short though once they finish Japan, Australia, New Zealand and any other non- North American/European locations.

Most of the Rising Tour in North America's Gross comes from the North East and primarily 3 cities in the North East. The results from those three cities when combined into the total Gross give a misleading picture of demand for Springsteen through the rest of North America.

Worldwide, the Vertigo Tour will have Grossed $290 million by the end of December of this year. It is the first time in history any artist has Grossed $290 million dollars in just 9 months. U2 will have the option in 2006, to extend the Vertigo gross total well past $400 million, considering the unmet demand still in North America and Europe, plus all the other area's of the planet where the demand to see U2 is very strong.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #386
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
STING, what kind of enjoyment do you get out of listening to music? Are you the kind of guy who rates films based on special effects and stunt sequences, and finally, box office and Oscars?
What kind of a question is that? Are you the kind of guy who presumes that people who simply discuss the music business base their opinions of the music itself on statistics?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:39 AM   #387
Jesus Online

With all due respect STING, you mention these statistics quite a lot. You then dont acknowledge people saying that in some places, this has little relevance. And I mean instances like INXS carried success through no touring or huge hits but because of their roots. You argue that this is wrong because of some worldwide statistic. It's incorrect, STING.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:52 AM   #388
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
With all due respect STING, you mention these statistics quite a lot. You then dont acknowledge people saying that in some places, this has little relevance. And I mean instances like INXS carried success through no touring or huge hits but because of their roots. You argue that this is wrong because of some worldwide statistic. It's incorrect, STING.
With all due respect, your going to have be a little more specific and explain what your talking about. I think you may have generalized and misunderstood somethings I said, but I'm not sure, so please explain and be more specific.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:56 PM   #389
Jesus Online

I dont believe I have misunderstood, but please say if you still think so. In general, and yes this is a generalisation, you seem to have an interest in statistics. You offer a lot of information to the forum on here for album sales and so on, and in general on concert attendance numbers, on any topic really. Moreso in music. It's merely an observation. Now, on INXS, a fre replies/pages back you made a comment about INXS not being so popular or successful here (I cant be bothered finding the post, as I'm sure you remember what you'd said anyway) in their later albums such as Welcome, etc. But this is actually wrong. You posted accurate statistics on album and ticket sales and I dont disagree with that. What I do disagree with is that this was a reflection on how popular they were here in my country during that time. All their albums after X could have gone triple platinum. They could have sold a few hundred each. No one cared then, and no one cares now - it didn't change their popularity. INXS rode on their earlier success for decades in this country.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:27 AM   #390
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I dont believe I have misunderstood, but please say if you still think so. In general, and yes this is a generalisation, you seem to have an interest in statistics. You offer a lot of information to the forum on here for album sales and so on, and in general on concert attendance numbers, on any topic really. Moreso in music. It's merely an observation. Now, on INXS, a fre replies/pages back you made a comment about INXS not being so popular or successful here (I cant be bothered finding the post, as I'm sure you remember what you'd said anyway) in their later albums such as Welcome, etc. But this is actually wrong. You posted accurate statistics on album and ticket sales and I dont disagree with that. What I do disagree with is that this was a reflection on how popular they were here in my country during that time. All their albums after X could have gone triple platinum. They could have sold a few hundred each. No one cared then, and no one cares now - it didn't change their popularity. INXS rode on their earlier success for decades in this country.
The only way to accurately determine a bands popularity at the current time is by looking at their current album sales and current concert ticket sales. If you want to know what the most popular movie is, the most popular type of Cell Phone, the most popular type of car, you look to see what most people are buying. In the music business, your only as hot as your latest product.

The statistics I reported on INXS were for the United States, not Australia. The United States has usually represented about half of all of INXS's album sales. I think the drop in the United States after X was much more rapid than other parts of the world. "Full Moon Dirty Hearts" sold almost nothing in the United Sates, yet it made the top 10 in the United Kingdom and received a GOLD record there for selling over 100,000 copies.

So the overall popularity of INXS worldwide dropped rapidly around the world after X although the most extreme drop was in the United States. For Australia, I do not have any INXS statistics on album sales or concert ticket sales from the 1980s or early to mid 1990s. Without such information, the only way I would be able to answer the question of INXS popularity in Australia is through first hand impressions by people who live there, although that type of information can often give a very inaccurate picture of what the true situation is in the country in terms of overall popularity. The only reliable and accurate way to determine popularity of a certain artist any where in the world at a particular time is to look at the current album and concert ticket sales in that country for that particular artist.