MERGED ---> Rock Star: INXS + Rock star INXS + And the new lead singer of INXS is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing makes me fucking sick to the core. Whenever I'm around someone else and see an ad for it, I don't ask nicely, I don't plead, I yell aggressively "DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE WATCH A MINUTE OF THAT OR I'LL TRASH ALL YOUR CD'S" and they know I mean it.

Now that I've had some time to settle my stomach, I thought I'd add these thoughts to my previous comment:

I don't begrudge INXS for wanting to carry on. As a matter of fact, in the fine tradition of another outstanding Aussie act, what were AC/DC to do after Bon Scott died at his own hand? I'm sure when Brian Johnson came on board, there were plenty of nay-saying fans who were certain Bon could never be replaced. However, Brian stepped in & who can dispute that "Back in Black" kicked major ass? :rockon:

If INXS wants to continue playing - more power to them. If they want to continue playing under the name "INXS" - more power to them. Hell, I'd consider buying another album out of loyalty alone. :yes: But please - for the love of God!!!!! - don't desecrate Hutch's memory by replacing him through a damn reality TV disaster!!! :yell: :no:

For the last fucking time: Does anyone who wants to spit forth another uninformed opinion of his death want to share their views on the stories of either Derek Hand or Kym Wilson?
:mad:

American needs to keep it's fucking reality trash on it's own shores with it's own people. Shame on anyone who will watch this.
:angry:

Angela Harlem said:
For the last fucking time: Does anyone who wants to spit forth another uninformed opinion of his death want to share their views on the stories of either Derek Hand or Kym Wilson?
:mad:

Maybe another time. :madspit: :tongue:

I suppose your opinions are the only informed ones. :eyebrow:

So is anyone gonna fess up and admit watching avidly? :wink:

caragriff said:
i watched.
all apologies.
it's american idol all over again, no?

Lock up your CDs, Earnie's coming around!

Were the contestants any good? Did the band look suitably washed up yet smugly defiant that the whole thing isn't really about the cash?

caragriff said:
i watched.

Do we have a :weshunyou: smilie? ;)

Actually I had it on also, but I didn't see a lot of it (short attention span for TV coupled with having to leave to feed the horses, etc.). But from what I did see, I found I didn't really care one way or the other. I was neither engrossed nor infuriated. :shrug:

Re: Rock Star: INXS

namkcuR said:
Does this new 'reality' show just tick off anyone else?

A legend-in-the-making in Michael Hutchence kills himself tragically, and this is how he is replaced? With a reality TV show?

If this isn't selling out, I don't know what is.

Hutch is probably rolling over in his grave.

How exactly can a commercial band sell out? I think it's genius personally. They generate buzz with the reality show, they find a young frontman/woman to get the kids interested, and they kickstart their careers in a clever way to move on without Michael.

I watched the show and loved it (though only about 5 of the 15 can actually sing :mad: )

Angela Harlem said:

American needs to keep it's fucking reality trash on it's own shores with it's own people. Shame on anyone who will watch this.

Thaaats intelligent. We should keep all of our fucking trash on our on shores, no? TV, Books, Movies, Music.

Personally, I could've done without Crocidile Dundee. :|

Angela Harlem said:

So we're going to put all the blame on American TV? The band doesn't get any?

Re: Re: Rock Star: INXS

How exactly can a commercial band sell out? You're about 26 years too late for that accusation. They were accused of that when Listen Like Thieves was released. They were accused of it again when X was released; a pure pop record and way beyond their surf-music roots. Selling out accusations are such a stupid thing when you consider that serious musicians are like anyone else; they want to be successful! Who the hell wants to be a waiter all their lives?

I think it's genius personally. They generate buzz with the reality show, they find a young frontman/woman to get the kids interested, and they kickstart their careers in a clever way to move on without Michael; PLUS they'll find someone in advance that the public likes and will avoid the Gary Sharone type disasters.

I watched the show and loved it (though only about 5 of the 15 can actually sing :mad: )

PS, sorry for the double post.

Oh, and I forgot to add: Andrew Farriss/the rest are definitely to blame as much as the producers of this garbage. How he can allow this to happen after everything that man has put into this band, is beyond me.
His choice, I hope he sleeps well with his decision.

indra said:
So is anyone gonna fess up and admit watching avidly? :wink:
i watched it and will watch the entire series, just out of morbid curiosity because i want to see who on earth they think out of these 15 people i saw tonight they think can stand onstage and call themselves the lead singer of inxs.

but i'm sure as hell not going to buy any records they put out or attend a concert, that's for damn sure. maybe if i won a concert ticket from a radio station i'd go, but i won't give any money to the new incarnation. replacing a lead singer is one thing. replacing a lead singer who died is one thing as well. replacing a lead singer who died by putting it on tv is insane.

i'm not a neilsen home, it's not like anyone will know i specifically am watching this show. :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: Rock Star: INXS

Snowlock said:
How exactly can a commercial band sell out? You're about 26 years too late for that accusation. They were accused of that when Listen Like Thieves was released. They were accused of it again when X was released; a pure pop record and way beyond their surf-music roots. Selling out accusations are such a stupid thing when you consider that serious musicians are like anyone else; they want to be successful! Who the hell wants to be a waiter all their lives?

I can see your point but I guess it comes down to your interpretation of 'success'. If the band's idea of success is to maximise income and doggedly chase the spotlight then for sure they're doing their best to be successful. I doubt any of the members were ever in danger of becoming waiters though if they were sensible, what with royalties and at the very least opportunities to continue their careers in other ways.

On the other hand, what's their success in terms of artists who make great music? For INXS that success is long gone, in everyone's minds their creative peak was way back in the days before Michael died and even long before then. So who's writing/written the new material? What if it's so bad that it leaves a huge blemish on the collective memory of their works? Not that any band is immune to that. :) But if you measure success in terms of the standard of the band's collective works, including live shows, what they're doing now is almost certain to damage it.

Having said all that, you're spot on in questioning the sell-out thing for a commercial band, though. It's a valid point, and depending on the band or artist's attitudes there's no such thing.. only from the fan's perspective. It's understandable though, because the fans invest a lot in their favourite musicians, and feel that there's something very personal at stake when something like this comes up. You can't blame 'em for feeling.. protective, almost, especially given the fact that the fans ultimately give the bands the life that they have. So that's what you're hearing in this thread, lots of angry protective fans..

..and Earnie, comin' atcha CDs with a hammer should you slip up and watch the show for a second or more.. :)

this is what i'm wondering, and after that i'm going to try like hell not to post in this thread anymore, because most of you people should just stop talking.

who, exactly, is going to be seeing them on this new tour?

most true fans of inxs will never support this, and if you were never a fan to begin with, why on earth would you be buying a ticket to see most of a band being fronted by some new crackerjack you'd never even heard of, who has absolutely no past singing career, and probably even less talent?

bonosgirl84 said:
this is what i'm wondering, and after that i'm going to try like hell not to post in this thread anymore, because most of you people should just stop talking.

who, exactly, is going to be seeing them on this new tour?

most true fans of inxs will never support this, and if you were never a fan to begin with, why on earth would you be buying a ticket to see most of a band being fronted by some new crackerjack you'd never even heard of, who has absolutely no past singing career, and probably even less talent?

The people who see them will be the people who want to see them, for whatever reason. What's a "true" fan anyway? One who's been around since "the beginning"? They might actually gain a bunch of fans from this show. The tv audience might absolutely fall in love with one of those singers and give them a nice, new audience who doesn't know who Michael Hutchence was and doesn't really give a crap either. And there are always people who will go just for curiosity's sake.

I doubt I'll go see the new incarnation, but I never thought INXS was all that anyway. But if the remaining members are happy with this, what's the big deal? If they don't turn out a product people want to buy, no one will buy it.

because most of you people should just stop talking.

:eyebrow:

as i didn't state clearly enough before, i'm not trying to pick fights with either of you lovelies....but how many bands and groups have had remaining success from tv reality shows? i cannot think of even one who has lasted much longer than the show's airing.

bonosgirl84 said:
please don't give me the eyebrow, indra

i'm entitled to my opinion like everybody else :wink:

of course. as am I. and I was expressing it. :)

I watched the show tonight and thought it was horrible just because no one seemed like a rock singer. The girls for the most part were crappy, the first girl that sang sang like she was auditioning for American Idol.

I don't know.

I miss the days when bands could just audition singers or members privately you know.

Angela Harlem said:
as i didn't state clearly enough before, i'm not trying to pick fights with either of you lovelies....but how many bands and groups have had remaining success from tv reality shows? i cannot think of even one who has lasted much longer than the show's airing.

Oh, I doubt this one will either. Although as they are only picking a front person for an established band it is somewhat different. Maight make it easier, might make it harder. But does it matter? Is it worth the vitriol with which people have attacked them?

This show will very likely mark the end of INXS (which many seem to now want), but I imagine the remaining members figured it was worth a shot, as there's a first time for everything, so it has a possibility of working, at least in the short term. So is it tacky? Of course. But it isn't the end of the world. If you don't like it you simply don't watch it. Chances are good INXS will go away soon enough.

Angela Harlem said:
well at least here in the states, out of three (four?) seasons of american idol, only the first winner, kelly clarkson, has proven to have any kind of staying power. any other winners and runners-up have had like one hit and faded away. clay aiken is catching up though, i've heard. he's appealing to the housewives while kelly is appealing to the teenagers.

Is it worth it, and the vitriol? I think it is. Does it matter? Most certainly. I dont really give any more of a rat's arse what qualifies someone as a real fan, anymore than you or anyone else. I might not meet someone else's criteria as I only really got into them in about '88 which was not the very start. But honestly, fuck all that. I dont care. What I do care about is this band who grew up with me, who put Australian music on the world stage with charm, charisma, with more swagger than Jagger and Bono combined (this is only my opinion, keep in mind, but this is how it matters to me), who made really good solid music that has withstood time, music which has reached so many for so many years, a band who has stood against claims of selling out, of being a poor man's U2, who taught others who were to follow how to do it...the list goes on and on. This country watched them grow and watched them fold as Michael buckled under it all. And that is when INXS died. They've been gone for years. I honestly cannot even guess what is making the band agree to this. They've tossed around so many ideas of other singers to fill the lead role, but none have proved successful. Jon Stevens came awfully close. Too eerily close for anyone's comfort, but thankfully his coke riddled ego stopped that. I personally think he did a good job, but the horse he tried flogging had already died. So the remaining INXS went away for a while. People remembered the good music, and let them go. But now, it seems like a good idea to take an American, guy or girl (an EEO?) and film them audition for the sacred role. Tell me, how does one audition for what has to grow? A band is organic. Not artificial. This is not a weed we are growing under a hydro light. As musicians, they are too tight for an experienced and similar frontman to take over. Jon Stevens didn't fit. Why is Joe America going to work out? Does being American even matter? To a purist, yes. Look at Australian bands and Americans. Neither is better than the other, but each are different. What made all the successful ones work? They GREW together.

I'm rambling. Everything you have said is true. The new INXS will disappear soon enough. It is a tacky idea which is doomed to failure. Australia is certainly cringing at this revolting sell out by the remaining members. This turning the band into a product like Britney or The Spice Girls. So what remains? A fucking insult. And yeah, I dont like it when people who have passed on, who earned truckloads of respect, are not given it. It really gets on my tits. And I can promise not to watch. It is only only Foxtel here and I refuse to give Telstra more money. For $2 a day, I can pay for shitstained television, or I can sponsor 2 starving children. It's a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom