MERGED ----> Robert Palmer R.I.P. + RIP Robert Palmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Robert Palmer R.I.P.

Hello,

I just read it on the BBC website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3142710.stm

Singer Robert Palmer dies

Singer Robert Palmer, 54, has died of a heart attack in Paris, his manager has said.

The British star is best known for his hits Addicted to Love, Some Guys Have All the Luck and Didn't Mean to Turn You On.

He had been in the French capital on a two-day break with partner Mary Ambrose, after recording a TV appearance in the UK.

His manager said he suffered the heart attack in the early hours of Friday morning.

The Yorkshire-born singer had recently been on tour of Europe to promote his latest album Drive.

Palmer had been performing since the early 1970s, playing in bands including Mandrake Paddle Steamer and Dada, featuring Elkie Brooks.

He was also a member of 1980s supergroup Power Station, which also included members of Duran Duran.

But it was it was during the 1980s that he achieved mainstream recognition.

His solo album Riptide produced the top five hit Addicted to Love, which was backed with one of rock music's most famous videos.

It featured Palmer backed by a band featuring identically-dressed woman, who were also made up to look the same.

Only 54... Far too young.

Marty (never a big fan, but liked the hits)

rp4.jpg

I really liked "Some Like It Hot" by Power Station. I think that was the title...

RIP

:(

Yeah, September hasn't been a good month this year.

Warren Zevon
Johnny Cash
Robert Palmer
etc.

:(

Marty

RIP Robert Palmer

LONDON, England -- Rock singer Robert Palmer has died in Paris of a heart attack at the age of 54, his manager said.

The British star, whose chart hits in the 1980s included "Addicted to Love," suffered the attack in the early hours of Friday morning, Mick Cater said.

Palmer, who had lived in Switzerland for 16 years, was staying in the French capital with his partner, Mary Ambrose, after traveling from the United Kingdom where he had been recording a TV show.

"I can't say anything else at this point, I'm just in shock," Cater told CNN.

The singer was born in Batley, Yorkshire, in 1949, but spent the majority of his youth on the island of Malta. At the age of 19, Palmer returned to England where he sang with the Alan Bown Set and a soul group, Vinegar Joe, before beginning a solo career in 1974.

He became known as much for slick videos as for his clever combination of rock, rhythm and blues, and reggae sounds with singles that also included "Simply Irresistible" and "I Didn't Mean to Turn You On."

The "Addicted to Love" video, featuring the sharply dressed Palmer and miniskirted models, became one of MTV's most-played clips and sparked protests from some feminists.

"I'm not going to attach inappropriate significance to it because at the time it meant nothing. It's just happened to become an iconic look," Palmer once said of the video.

He formed the Power Station in 1985 with John Taylor and Andy Taylor from Duran Duran, scoring three U.S. hits, including "Communication" and "Get it On."

Despite his chart success he shunned the rock 'n' roll lifestyle. "I loved the music, but the excesses of rock 'n' roll never really appealed to me at all," The Associated Press quoted him as saying.

"I couldn't see the point of getting up in front of a lot of people when you weren't in control of your wits."

Palmer was noted for his dress sense and respect for his fans. "I don't want to be heavy," he said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

"I can't think of another attitude to have towards an audience than a hopeful and a positive one. And if that includes such unfashionable things as sentimentality, well, I can afford it."

CrashedCarDriver said:
is it me is this year just about exceeded the number of people whos been anyone to drop off?

it's rather frightening.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
yet another tragic lost. RIP.

too many good people are dying! :sad:

indeed...and too many of the younger ones are dying too.

RIP Robert Palmer :(

I was very sorry and very shocked to see this. You just never know. How sad:(

i hadn't thought of this earlier, but Robert Palmer and John Ritter were the same age :sigh:

i loved his music, his older stuff and his more commercial stuff. it's such a shame to lose such a great voice, he was one of the rare soulful white boys.

r.i.p. robert. :(

KhanadaRhodes said:
i loved his music, his older stuff and his more commercial stuff. it's such a shame to lose such a great voice, he was one of the rare soulful white boys.

r.i.p. robert. :(

Just what I was thinking. He's been around along time. Some special times in my life involved his music as well. :sad:
Well said KR

CrashedCarDriver said:
is it me is this year just about exceeded the number of people whos been anyone to drop off?

Pretty darn close, yeah.

I liked his music. They had a tribute to him on VH1 Classic earlier...it was really weird watching "Addicted To Love". I watched it, thinking, he's not supposed to be dead. That's not right.

And yes, 54 is WAY too young to be dying.

R.I.P., Robert.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom