MERGED: RIP Paul Hester - Crowded House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sad: :( A great musician and he seemed like a great guy! :(

:hug: R.I.P. Paul Hester :hug:

Last edited:
Bono's shades said:
:sad:

I feel like I should listen to some Crowded House right now, but I'm afraid it would make me even sadder.

I actually want to listen to their stuff, funny as it sounds. I'm just a bit uneasy about watching anything of the band's that I have on tape right now. I saw their "Something So Strong" video earlier this evening, and it just weirded me out like nothing else, so I don't know if I want to watch anything else of theirs right now.

Oddly enough, last night before I heard the news, I was listening to a bunch of Split Enz/Crowded House related stuff. Then I went onto this one board related to the band and everything, and I heard the news, and...oh, my god. It just floored me. It's still not fully registering.

This is the second time someone from a band I love has died so young and so tragically-there was Howie Epstein from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers back in February 2003, and now there's this. And that just really sucks.

I can't imagine what the rest of his band members must be going through right now...I just feel so bad for them, and for his family. And considering that this happened to a friend of my family's last year, this is just hitting a little too close to home, which doesn't help.

It's just so crummy, it really, really is.

Angela

PAUL HESTER Suicide

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone is a fan of Crowded House too and wanted to say something about drummer Paul Hester who apparently committed suicide on Friday.

f66b31f8.jpg

Image from musicmax.com.au

I had the pleasure of meeting Paul back in the early 90's (maybe it was 88 or 89??) - I was dj'ing at a local club and Crowded House was playing in town. After the gig a friend of mine brought Paul down to the club and up to the dj booth. Very friendly and genuine character. It's really a shame. R.I.P.

:sad: Such a shame... shades of INXS & Hutch all over again, huh?

I hope his soul will find the peace it was looking for and I hope his family can find the peace they'll need to get through this. :sad:

I am so sad about the news. I am a huge Crowded House /Enz/Finn fan. What a loss. :(

Wonder if Bono will say anything tonight. I have always wondered if there was a CH/Finn connection between them. We shall see.

They mentioned him on Triple J radio yesterday afternoon, and given how many years it's been since Crowded House were around, I kind of guessed it was a death as soon as they got as far as the name. No good at all.

I'll never forget seeing the Crowdies blast the headline act (INXS) off the stage at a benefit concert in 1993...people were actually going home during INXS's set. Their warmth and humour as a live act could only be matched by U2.

I have a show with a mate on community radio and last night we played a tribute to Hessy...

Don't Dream It's Over
Distant Sun
Four Seasons in One Day

This song by the Floyd has been in my head since Hessy's passing.

"Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger,you legend, you martyr,
and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision, rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner,
and shine."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom