MERGED-->RENT: The Movie DISCUSSION

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaAnn

ONE love, blood, life
Rent the movie

When I was at the movies this weekend saw a preview for "Rent: The Movie."

I also read something about the movie recently (Entertainment Weekly, I think?). The article said something to the effect of while using the incredibly talented Broadway cast is great, however they're all too old to be playing the roles they created.

Who's looking forward to it?

Found the Entertainment Weekly piece I referred to above:

Is It Just Us...

...or are the people behind the film version of Rent actually trying to screw things up? When it was announced Chris Columbus would direct the adaptation of Jonathan Larson's Tony-winning 1996 musical, we held our tongues — even though Harry Potter and Home Alone are hardly suitable prep for a show about transvestites, drug users, and faux-hemians. But now that Revolution plans to use original Broadway cast members, we must ask: What? Won't casting stage performers a decade too old to play the show's feckless twentysomethings pose a credibility problem? Next thing we know, they'll say New York City will be played by Vancouver.

i thought this was going to be a thread explaining why it is better to rent movies rather than see them in theaters

the egg certainly is on my face, isnt it?

Chizip said:
i thought this was going to be a thread explaining why it is better to rent movies rather than see them in theaters

the egg certainly is on my face, isnt it?

Yes it is! :wink:

I find it refreshing that they would use most of the Broadway actors and actresses who originated the roles.

Taye Diggs anyone??? His lovely wife, Idina Menzel?

There are some who didn't originate the roles but I will go see this movie!!

well, Ive seen it live twice and I love the soundtrack, I'll probably go see it, just as long as Joey Fatone isnt in it

I kind of wore myself out on the soundtrack and haven't listened to it in ages, but yeah, I'll definitely go and see it. Unless I hear it sucks. :wink:

I thought there was gonna be a movie rental recommendation in the thread as in:
Rent the movie...Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Or something.

Anyway...apparently movie studio executives didn't learn their lesson from the flop that was Phantom of the Opera.
Broadway very rarely translates to film with any success.

Phantom probably would have done better if they hadn't totally dropped the marketing ball on it. ::grumble grumble::

Yeah, it was cheesy and just so ... so ... you know, so Phantom of the Opera, cheesy Andrew Lloyd Weber over-the-top-ness, but at the same time, it was so great because of that.

Plus, Gerald Butler and Patrick Wilson ... :drool: :drool: :drool:

My girlfriend is bouncing off the walls for this.

I'm 100% unfamiliar with the play.

ITs a great play (my opinion).

I have actually scene it five times, I think.

I am a bit nervous about a movie version, though.

Same reason I still haven't seen Chicago (although, folks tell me that that translated well from the stage version).

Vancouver or Tornoto as NY...nothing new!

No day but today....

I love RENT, and I'm definitely looking forward to the movie. I think it'll translate to the screen better than Phantom. God, that was a mess! Poorly cast, poorly directed. Why film a stage show and then use so many extreme wide shots? I sat there in the theater wanting to stand up and scream "ZOOM IN!" Not that it mattered, Emmy Rossum, Gerard Butler, and Minnie Driver were terrible, and poor Patrick Wilson was stuck w/ terrible hair!

Anyway, back to RENT. I think it's great they've used most of the OBC, and the two that they've replaced are fine w/ me. Daphne Rubin-Vega is pushing 40, and there's no way she could still pull off Mimi (keep you "Out Tonight"s to the concerts at Joe's Pub, Daph) and Fredi Walker seems perfectly content off in Barbados. I don't think the rest of the cast looks that much older, and they should be just fine. I'd me more concerned w/ them (OK, really just Pascal) being able to act on screen.

The trailer looks wonderful, but I saw Rosario Dawson (terrible in Two Gentlemen of Verona in Central Park, btw) on Leno, and they showed a clip of Light My Candle, and the lipsynching over the recorded track looks TERRIBLE! Obviously you've got to have a certain suspension of disbelief w/ a movie musical, but help us out a bit by making it LOOK like they're actually singing in the actual moment.

We shall see. I'll be catching it on the 23rd in Boston, the first showing they have after I get off the bus from NY. I can't wait!

Warning, shilling to follow: Has anyone checked out the cast's solo recordings? I really enjoy Pascal's first album, Model Prisoner (his latest effort, Civilian didn't really do it for me) and Anthony Rapp's Look Around is charming. It's a pity Idina Menzel's album is out of print. I enjoy her solo work as well...They're all very, VERY talented!

Sorry to be so fanboy - but Fredi Walker was offered the role of Joanne but passed as she was pregnant when shooting started. It's a shame as she is my favourite on the OBC soundtrack.

It seems weird that 'Chicago' has resulted in so many musicals going to film - yeah 'Phantom' died in the arse - but I think it made its money back globally - it did middling business in most markets - and with DVD sales, it will have turned a profit.

So we are also getting 'The Producers' thus year and 'Hairspray' next year.

thatsnotmypuppy said:

So we are also getting 'The Producers' thus year and 'Hairspray' next year.
Hmmm...The Producers and Hairspray as films...what a novel idea...oh wait thats right, both were films before hitting Broadway.

RENT: The Movie (or; PleaseHoldMeI'mStillCryingLikeaLittleGirl)

Oh... my... God. I've heard a few of the songs, I know the general plot, but I've never seen RENT performed before. Well, I just saw the movie. And I was blown away. Chris Columbus directed, and the visual style was great for it. Mostly because Chris is a natural director who doesn't let cuts and jumps destroy continuity within scenes. He's uninventive, but this is all about songs and stories anyway. When (you-know-who) dies... wow. I don't think I've ever cried so hard in a movie. And then again everytime it was alluded to. Oh, and yeah, "La Vie Boheme" kicked my ass.

i am SO excited for this movie!! glad to hear that you liked it... i saw it on broadway in the summer of '99- went out the next day and bought the soundtrack, and have loved it ever since. :heart:

wheeeeee! must go see it this weekend! :hyper:

Yeah, I'm in the drama program at my school so all my friends are raving about it. My friend Kevin is so in love with the musical. He saw it twice on stage, I think.

I saw it on stage once on recommendation of a very good friend of mine, ex choreographer of my son's competition dance team, and he was even in a stage performance of the show....EXCELLENT! I think this is one that everyone should see. I hope everyone enjoys it. I cannot wait to see the movie, I just wonder what I will have enjoyed more===the stage performance or the motion picture?!! :wink:

Just got back from seeing it. I liked it quite a bit, although it seemed pretty long. I feel the same away about the movie as I did the musical - like it very much overall, but not all the music works.

I think some of it comes across as really ... I don't know. Silly? The stand-alone songs are great, and those were the best parts of the movie. It's the little interludes that seem so odd. Roger's "who do you think you are" bit after "Out Tonight" is almost laughable. Although Roger's pretty much my least favorite character, so I might be biased. :wink:

But yeah. Great, gorgeous cast (hellOOOO, Jesse L Martin and Taye Diggs!), and yes, I cried a little.

:applaud: Yay! Thanks for the review, I feel you are probably closest to what I will feel after having seen it. I know how some stage shows when turned into motion pictures lose some of the great entertainment quality as characters sometimes change as does music....not all characters and music works on the big screen versus stage.....so THANKS! I've got to get out to see it this weekend and I'll sure leave my ten cents worth!

Yeah... I should make clear... for a tough-looking guy, I'm a big wimp when it comes to movies. I just watched the Muppet Christmas Carol and had to fight back tears.

Back
Top Bottom