MERGED-->RENT: The Movie DISCUSSION - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2005, 08:37 PM   #31
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 11:40 PM
I love the muppets too. They are all so cute and have the greatest personalities. My son grew up with Sesame Street and the muppets. He would sit for hours in front of the TV mesmerized by them.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:17 PM   #32
War Child

Local Time: 02:40 AM
I would really love to see this! I saw it on Broadway last year after hearing too many good things about it. My curiousity was piqued and that was it. I loved it and I loved the soundtrack!

thanks for the review

Old 11-26-2005, 01:20 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

saw it today! have seen the musical 2 times, I loved this movie, thumbs up!
Old 11-26-2005, 01:24 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I went out and bought the soundtrack. If I actually had talent, my dream would be to play Mark some day. Mostly for 2 reasons. 1) I have been through the girlfriend dumping me for another girl thing... a few times. and 2) Getting to dominate "La Vie Boheme"

Oh, and I have film-making aspirations... but lack his ambition. I know a lot of people find Mark to be a flat character. but I think even he realizes that as he reflects on his role and how he'll be alone, and with how Roger basically tells him he's hiding behind the character.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:28 AM   #35
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Quote:
Originally posted by DeadMansParty
saw it today! have seen the musical 2 times, I loved this movie, thumbs up!

Yay DMP! Glad to hear you went out and did something enjoyable. Good for you. Hope things are better.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:47 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:40 AM
Saw this today and loved it. (I loved the musical so this is no real surprise. ) I agree some of the transitions were a bit awkward but overall I really enjoyed it. I was thankful the theater wasn't filled with people singing along. My friend saw it the other night and said she wanted to slap the people singing. haha.

I was not impressed by Rosario Dawson but I didn't expect to be. It's okay though; the rest of the cast was strong enough to compensate for her.

Overall the movie was much more emotional than the musical. My sister and I got choked up at the end. I'd see it again and it will have a spot in my dvd collection.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:36 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Has anyone read the LA Times review of it? Because it's as nasty as any review I've seen this year of any film and I'm wondering why. It didn't look that bad in the promos.

Quote:
"Rent" is commodified faux bohemia on a platter, eliciting the same kind of numbing soul-sadness as children's beauty pageants, tiny dogs in expensive boots, Mahatma Gandhi in Apple ads. It's about art, activism and counterculture in the same way that a poster of a kitten hanging from a tree branch ("Hang in There!") is about commitment and heroic perseverance. It represents everything the people it pretends to stand for hate. And it doesn't even know it. Watching it feels sort of like watching "Touched by an Angel" with your grandmother and realizing that although you're clearly looking at the same thing, you're seeing something entirely different. It's awkward to behold.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:33 PM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

I'd guess that reviewers who hate the movie hated the musical as well, and if you hate one, you're really not going to like the other.

The weird thing about "Rent" for me is that even though I like it well enough, I completely understand the criticisms I've heard of it (both movie and musical).

Some reviewers, however, just work really hard at being witty and cleverly cruel.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:57 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
The weird thing about "Rent" for me is that even though I like it well enough, I completely understand the criticisms I've heard of it (both movie and musical).

Me too. When I read that review I thought to myself "yeah, I can see that."
Old 11-27-2005, 07:38 PM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor

I wonder how the musical would have fared, had Jonathan Larson not died such a sudden death at such an inopportune time (i.e., right before the show opened).

How much of the cult of Rent is due to the "no day but today" theme and how appropriately it fits in with Larson's death?

The part that always makes me giggle due to the corn/cheese factor is the title song, where they're all just shouting "Rent Rent Rent Reeeeeeent!!!" Because, you know, it's just so goofy.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:07 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think Larson was aware of the artificiality, though. The guy who's working hardest to capture it all (Mark) is a big outsider. He's scared to involve himself in anything the rest are doing, and ends up a bit of a paralyzed character. It's really evident to me in "La Vie Boheme" as he essentially begins by extolling the most juvenile elements of the lifetsyle. His awkwardness with the AIDS issue at the Life Support meeting supports this, too. He has lots of friends and accquaintances in this world, but he's not really part of it. He, to me, is like the audience, seeing only what he wants and what he is presented of the lifestyle in Alphabet City.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:31 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

when Melissa and I went, tons of people walked out. and the reviews Ive read are horrible, but I loved every second of the movie.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:59 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
apparently movie studio executives didn't learn their lesson from the flop that was Phantom of the Opera.
At 10.7 Mil for the weekend it may end up a better financial take than Phantom, but still a box office failure.
Probably drops out of the top 10 in its 2nd weekend.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:47 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:40 PM
The musical's in town.

Unfortunately there's some stupid age limit thingamabob.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Rent

any RENT fans here?
the movie was amazing, the songs were nothing short of spectacular!