MERGED ----> REM, Van Halen, Patti Smith and others elected into R n R HOF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPryck2U

ONE love, blood, life
REM, Van Halen, Patti Smith and others elected into R n R HOF

It's just been announced that REM, Van Halen, Patti Smith, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five and The Ronettes have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. The ceremony will take place 3/12/2007. I used to be a huge VH fan as well as a huge REM fan, so I'm very happy that they both got in. This is a great way to start off the year in music. I can't wait to see Dave, Sammy and Eddie all together in the same room.

Hopefully we'll see a full REM line up that night! Maybe a collaboration with REM and Patti Smith...:drool:

As far as seeing Dave and Sammy together, I'm not sure how it works but in order to be elgible you need at least 25 years from your first release, so I don't know how that works for Sammy. :shrug:

It's 25 years from the first release, but I don't think it matters if there has been different personnel involved at any given time. Ron Wood was allowed to be inducted with the Stones and he hadn't been with them for 25 years.

Last edited:
Sammy is good to go! Sammy might've joined VH in 1985/6, but VH started in 1978, so Sammy will be inducted as a part of VH.

I'm also sure that, indeed, Bill Berry will be joining REM when they are inducted into the R n R HOF. Unlike Sammy, Dave, and Eddie, REM and Berry have no problems between them. Berry has performed with REM numerous times since he officially left the band in 1997/8.

MrPryck2U said:
Sammy is good to go! Sammy might've joined VH in 1985/6, but VH started in 1978, so Sammy will be inducted as a part of VH.
If Roth appears at the induction, Sammy will be at the Cabo Wabo Cantina on that night. No way they'll grace the stage together.

They toured together several years ago, so it's not a stretch to see them together. They both deserve to be there.

That would be cool if R.E.M. and Patti Smith got to perform together.

E-Bow (The Letter) :drool: :combust:

Cool, indeed! Maybe REM will come back strong as a result of this induction. I haven't really cared about them since 2001 or so.

MrPryck2U said:
They toured together several years ago, so it's not a stretch to see them together. They both deserve to be there.
Yeah but if you've read some of Sammy's comments towards the end of that tour and since, he wants nothing to do with DLR.

Well, your English teacher would tell you that you COULDN'T care less about VH getting inducted into the RRHOF. This would indicate that you lacked the ability to care any lesser about Van Halen. LOL! I'm just fucking with ya!
Anyway, REM and Van Halen are polar opposites on the Rock scale, so it's not common for their respective fans to give a shit about them.

MrPryck2U said:
Well, your English teacher would tell you that you COULDN'T care less about VH getting inducted into the RRHOF. This would indicate that you lacked the ability to care any lesser about Van Halen. LOL! I'm just fucking with ya!
Anyway, REM and Van Halen are polar opposites on the Rock scale, so it's not common for their respective fans to give a shit about them.

hahaha funny ! :lol:

I was around when they were hitting it big (Junior High School).. And did have a VH album when I was a teenager.. Their debut album I believe.. It was cool back in my day but not now. My tastes have changed a bit. You know their style never progressed (evolved) thru the years pretty much the same even when sammy came into the picture..

I agree. By the time Balance came out in 1995, Van Halen started to get stale. I mean, the music was still pretty good, but there wasn't any growth. The F.U.C.K. album was their last solid effort and that came out in 1991.
I'm not sure about Gary Cherone. He wasn't around very long. Sammy was with VH longer than Roth was.

F.U.C.K wasn't much either.......the four hits ("Poundcake", "Right Now", "Top Of The World" and um, whatever the other one was) were all some of their best Van Hagar-era works, but the rest of the album was laughably self indulgent.

R.E.M. is a must. One of the most influential and strongest acts in rock history. And yes, I'd be :drool: if they performed "E-Bow The Letter" with Patti.

Van Halen is also one of the most influential acts of the last three decades, and I wonder what the holdup was, however, this unfortunately means that their imitators (hair bands from the 80's) now have a shot.

Patti Smith, well, she's now only here because Springsteen's manager runs the nomination committee. He shoved her on a ballot of nine, where three acts (Chic, Tex, Dave Clark Five) had no business being there......then changed the rules so that five HAD to be inducted. That said, she's certainly deserving, more so than the Pretenders and Blondie, who are both already in there (and, in the case of Blondie, "deserving" as well).

Grandmaster Flash opens the floodgates for future rap inductees. I still wouldn't expect too many additions. Beastie Boys, Jay Z, Dre, Public Enemy, Outkast....maybe Run DMC.

The Ronettes. Eh. Love them, but Phil Spector played the largest part in their success and he's already in the Hall. Plus, their career was exceedingly brief.

some future additions that have been overlooked for ages:

ABBA
Brian Eno
Cars
Jam
Joy Division
Leonard Cohen
Mission Of Burma
New Order
Nick Drake
Replacements
Television
Tom Waits

And 2008's Surefire Inductees:

Beastie Boys (seems a bit early, but FutureRockHall.com says they're eligible)
Madonna
Metallica
Sonic Youth

The fifth act could be anything, someone screwed over in year's past or one of the following eligibles:

10,000 Maniacs
Talk Talk
Tears For Fears

what about Jeff Lynne , was he inducted ??
never liked Yes ( keyboard player annoys me a lot ) , though they're a very good band
now PF or Weather Report that's good :drool: :drool:

Not sure about Jeff yet. I don't think so, though. Genesis should be in soon. It took VH a few years to get in, so maybe some of these artists will have to wait a little bit. Not everyone can be like U2 and get in on the first shot. lol!

Jeff Lynne wouldn't be inducted on his own, as he didn't release a solo album until 1990 and didn't become a major producer of other artists until ELO called it a day in 1986.

But ELO definitely should be there.

As for Yes, granted they put the meaning in "excess" back in the 70's, but there is no denying some of the classic things they have done.

And speaking of Genesis, I don't believe Peter Gabriel is in on his own, either. He should definitely be there, too.

Thats awesome REM and Patti Smith are going in at the same time!

Will it be broadcast on VH1 like U2 HOF induction was?

Back
Top Bottom