MERGED ----> REM, Van Halen, Patti Smith and others elected into R n R HOF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phanan said:
Genesis, Yes, and ELO have been overlooked by the Hall for years.

No, the hall just wants to keep credibility. No good artists will list those three as inspirations.

Name me one must own album from any of those artists........you know, one that appears on any of the multitude of "Greatest Albums Of All Time" lists.......or how about a handful of tracks from any of them that really made an impact. If the Hall is going to go back and reward older artists, along with the upcoming onslaught of integral newer acts, they should be looking more towards Brian Eno, Nick Drake or Leonard Cohen, rather than at record sales.

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

This was their magnum opus and is one of the best prog rock albums of all time. The fact that they were able to have major commercial success later in their career cannot be overlooked either, despite the fact that the quality of music wasn't as high as their early years.

Yes - Fragile

You can't tell me that this record isn't considered one of the all-time classics in rock, with one legendary song (Roundabout) and numerous other FM radio staples (Long Distance Runaround, Heart Of The Sunrise).

ELO - Out Of The Blue

This double album was issued at the peak of their career, and it is their best. Major hits included Turn To Stone, Sweet Talkin' Woman, and Mr. Blue Sky, which you hear everywhere nowadays from commercials to movies.

Considering that the Hall has already inducted artists like Blondie and Aerosmith, I don't see why these three wouldn't be there.

Um, because Aerosmith has had like forty hit singles........Toys In The Attic, their biggest studio record, actually makes it onto those best of lists and sold eight million copies.

Blondie also had a ton of hits in their brief run and you can hear their sound echoed in countless acts today.

Sure, everything that was ever as popular as Genesis will have some impact, but the kids today are wise enough to steer clear. I listen to a ton of great new albums every year and I just don't hear a prog influence in any of them. At most, maybe a song or two. I hear Blondie everywhere, including various, well, entertaining rip-offs.

Van Halen's induction in the R & R Hall of Fame

Firstly are there are Van Halen fans here?
and what do you all think of the induction???

As for the reunion pppft what a farce Dave coudn't carry this band anymore - he wasn't even a great frontman to begin with....
Sammy still rules....and he's a complete gentleman

Dave should just go back to being a fuckin paramedic.....and leave the job of the rockstar to sammy or some other great vocalist.....

David sings on 2 tunes.

Sammy on 1.

And Mike Anthony plays his crappy bass lines.

Let's be real, they're here becaue of Dave.

No Dave in VH, no awards ceremony.

It doesn't really matter though. REM will be playing with Bill Berry. That's the headline.

In Sammy's favor, 5150 is one of their best. As strong as I and II, and I love the glossy sheen spread over all of the tracks.

If you are going by hit singles, you can see that all three of those bands have had quite a few in their own right, especially compared to Blondie.

You'd be surprised how many Top 40 singles a band like ELO had, for example.

But anyway, it's apparent we have different musical taste. I actually like Aerosmith and Blondie, but I don't think they deserve induction any more than these three bands.

:shrug:

Diamond Dave was a pompous tool, but he did have a great voice and presence. I still prefer Sammy though. His lyrics and happy sense of fun were great.

Billy Rotten said:
Diamond Dave was a pompous tool, but he did have a great voice and presence. I still prefer Sammy though. His lyrics and happy sense of fun were great.

I prefer Sammy too. David was often a bit obscene in his lyrics and stage antics.

Sammy sings better, has better lyrics and can play guitar like hell!

I hope they perform a couple of Sammy-era tunes!

It is not important who is the singer at all.

It is all about Eddie Van Halen's musical genius.

Great they got inducted !

The Saga of VH

When Dave was with VH, I loved them. Then Sammy came along and VH sounded a little bit different. But, then over time, I grew to like Sammy with VH and even preferred him over Dave. Then, Eddie fired Sammy and I thought that was the first bad move. The second bad move was bringing back Dave to perform a couple of songs for their first Best Of and then, after they all appeared on the 1996 MTV awards, kick his ass out the door. You see, Eddie Van Halen used DLR. Sammy didn't want a greatest hits album. He wanted to put out new stuff and tour. Eddie wasn't down with that. Ok, so Warner Bros. wanted a greatest hits album with some new stuff, so Eddie brought in Dave, who was under the impression that he was back in Van Halen. Well, allegedly, the rest of the guys all saw that Dave was being a dick and told him they never said he was back in the band. Here comes the third bad move. Eddie hiring ex-Extreme frontman, Gary Cherone. Now Gary was good with his former band Extreme, so people assumed he'd do fine as lead singer number three for VH, but things didn't turn out that way. Well, for whatever reason, they just sucked. Their album Van Halen 3 was very dissappointing and the tour that followed was dreadfully attended. After 20 years of success, Van Halen had hit a major roadblock. So out went Gary. Now what was Eddie going to do? He fired Sammy and he blew off Dave. Who's gonna sing? Now early on, DLR did have a successful solo career, but after 1991, he was starting to suck. Since then, most of his albums were pretty forgettable. Sammy, on the other hand, would release solo albums while he was still with VH and after he left, so he was enjoying modest success and was having a great time doing it. Sammy didn't need to be in VH, where as Dave did because he needed the money and/or publicity. Fast forward to mid 2004 and VH launches another Greatest Hits album/tour. Who do they pick to sing? Good old Sammy. The album/tour does decent business, but afterward Sammy leaves because of differences with Eddie. This is where things really start to get screwy. When Sammy leaves, bassist Michael Anthony then makes a decision to follow Sammy out the door. So we've got VH divided. Eddie and Alex on one side. Michael Anthony and Sammy on the other. Eddie replaced Micheal with his son Wolfgang who I think is 19. Now they need a singer. Now we go back to Dave. In early 2006, Dave was hired to try and replace The King of All Media, Howard Stern on Sterns's old station 92.3 WXRK FM in New York. Well, to be nice, I'll just say that Dave was the only one that thought Dave was entertaining or funny. He lasted about 3 months when they gave him the ax. It seems now that all I hear about Diamond Dave is that he's telling everyone that a VH reunion is inevitable. Eddie's not admitting or denying anything, but currently they don't have an official lead singer. Finally, they will be inducted into the RRHOF on 3/12/2007. so I guess Dave was right when he said a reunion was inevitable. I guess he figured VH was bound to get inducted soon, so they'd HAVE to play together. Anyway, I guess we'll find out in 2 months what VH is going to do. I don't think it would be a stretch to see Dave and Sammy out there together. They toured several years ago together, but eventually they started to get sick of each other. LOL! But, it will be cool to see Eddie out there with the two lead singers. That moment will be exciting. I will state that I love Van Halen. I've enjoyed their music since the early 80's until 1996, when Sammy left. I've seen them live three times from 1991-1995. The first 2 shows were great, but by 1995, the magic was fading. I'm glad they're getting inducted into the RRHOF. But, if Eddie keeps acting like asshole, I won't give a shit about VH after the ceremony is over.

Cherone performed admirably with Van Halen.......the crappy songwriting is what made III a bloated mess. The previous two albums weren't much either, but they had hits, and therefore, sold by the bucket load. When you take a look back at III, it really isn't a huge disappointment, but the next logical step for a fading rock act. Hell, Cherone even sounds a lot like Sammy.

Holy shit, we've got a Gary supporter! Glad to hear from you. That song Without You was pretty good, but I too thought the lyrics were weak for most of VH3.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003537232

Exclusive: Van Halen Reuniting With Roth For Tour
Van Halen's original lineup in the early 1980s

January 24, 2007, 4:20 PM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville
Sources tell Billboard.com a contract could be signed as soon as today for Live Nation to produce a 40-date amphitheatre tour by Van Halen this summer, with original frontman David Lee Roth back in the fold for the first time in more than 20 years.

As previously reported, guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang has stepped in for original bassist Michael Anthony in the new incarnation of the group, which also features drummer Alex Van Halen.

Van Halen last toured in 2004 with vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore. Hagar refused to collaborate further with Eddie and Alex Van Halen after the tour's completion ("I don't get along with Eddie anymore, and that's all there is to it," he told Billboard.com in August 2005), although he has consistently played live with Anthony in recent years. The warring factions may wind up meeting in public in March when Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"I see it absolutely as an inevitability," Roth told Billboard.com last May of a potential reunion with his ex-bandmates. "To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!' So I definitely see it happening."

Hagar recently told Billboard.com he was concerned Eddie Van Halen was asking too much of his son to have him join the band and promptly perform in front of thousands of people every night.

"That's a lot of pressure for Wolfie. Just 'cause he's Eddie's son doesn't mean he can go out and play in arenas and perform and entertain an audience for two hours," he said. "I would love to see Eddie and Alex get behind Wolfie, with a kid of his age singing, and produce the record for him and help him launch a career. I'd rather see it go that way than come out and say 'Wolfie's the bass player in Van Halen and maybe singing, too.' Van Halen's got way too much history to have that put on him."

I'm sure some of you might've heard, but Eddie Vedder will be inducting REM into the Hall.

Too bad the Van Halen brothers won't be there when VH gets inducted.

Also, tomorrow night's ceremony will be broadcast on VH-1 Classic in case there are those out there who didn't know.

MrPryck2U said:
Also, tomorrow night's ceremony will be broadcast on VH-1 Classic in case there are those out there who didn't know.

Thanks for the heads up.
I was wondering where it would be on.

I'm not sure if the HOF ceremony is going to be shown on the regular VH-1 channel, but it is possible. The show starts at 8:30pm and runs until 12:30am.

Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony will be the only members of Van Halen showing up to accept the induction. Velvet Revolver will performing Van Halen's songs.

Back
Top Bottom