MERGED ---> Radiohead Album Likely Due Next Spring + New Radiohead - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2005, 10:10 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:33 PM
from NME.com via pitchfork:

Quote:
Thom Yorke Reveals New Radiohead Album Details!

Rob Kleckner reports:
Bands like Radiohead can leak little droplets of information about coming albums over the course of a year. Tantalizing us with what's in store, teasing us with cryptic quotes, and generally getting us all riled up, so that when the album finally drops, all of those droplets have whet our appetites such that we must have the album.

Well, Thommy Boy has given NME.com a few golden nuggets of info about the band's seventh album, which is not due until next spring at the earliest. Yorke feels that the recording process this time around finds the band shifting gears, much like they did in the post-OK Computer sessions that eventually led to Kid A and Amnesiac.

"It's going well," Yorke said of the work so far. "It's a bit like Kid A-- we're going through a period of change. But that's good. We'll get there."

That's it; that's all Yorke said about the album. But that's all he has to say. This doesn't necessarily mean that the album will sound like Kid A, but that it will be a big step forward for the band. It's good to see a group working so hard to create something different, unlike certain other English groups, who are content to stick their platinum-selling formulas. But we're not naming any names...cough cough...COLDPLAY! Oh weird, what a strange sneeze!

Anyway, several months ago Yorke and guitarist Jonny Greenwood performed some new material with the London Sinfonietta, where they debuted "Arpeggi". More recently, Yorke performed "House of Cards" during an all-night vigil for the Global Week of Action in support of Trade Justice. Other song titles mentioned by NME.com include "Glass Flowers" and "Reckoner".

You can find a link to a video of the Trade Justice performance below, but we're guessing there's some serious traffic over there. Or at least now there will be. Sorry.

* Trade Justice: http://www.tjm.org.uk/radiohead/
love the coldplay dig.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:29 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Kid B on the way. Will these fuckers ever stop trying to be strange and simply write a song?

Nice to see enough class to take a swipe at Coldplay.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:34 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:33 AM
I'd love if it if U2 did a Kid B in fairness. It'd be a damn sight more interesting than ATYCLB.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:36 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
Don't get me wrong though I love Radiohead.

I just think Oasis is better from what I've heard.

Mind you, OK Computer is better than any of the 4 Oasis albums I've heard.
No, see you're not getting it. Zoomeranged is God's appointed arbiter of musical taste here.

Now get in line.

I only got HTTT recently but am liking it a lot, 'tis a very interesting album in all sorts of ways.

PS Yes Zoomerang I do prefer Radiohead to Oasis, don't worry.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:40 AM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Kid B on the way. Will these fuckers ever stop trying to be strange and simply write a song?

if this is your mentaility, than they're not your kind of band...obviously...
keep listening to coldplay

and keane
and starsailor
and the Doves
and Travis
and....all the other clones
Old 06-11-2005, 09:56 AM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

Nice to see enough class to take a swipe at Coldplay.
i suppose you didn't read the article.

for one, that wasn't thom who talked about coldplay. it was the author. i suppose you didn't read that...i understand, i mean, it was a really long article after all, and without pictures to mix it up along the way, it can be really quite tough.

and to your first point, nowhere does it say the songs will be like kid a. it's a process like kid a. perhaps you didn't catch that either? again, no pictures to help paint that picture, a problem?

and if you think kid a and their following albums are too "strange", then indeed, heed basstrap's advice and stick with the formulaic shitrock message boarders at interference praise to no end.

i don't mean to name names *cough cough COLDPLAY *cough cough

...but i guess you didn't read that part either.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:59 AM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

No, see you're not getting it. Zoomeranged is God's appointed arbiter of musical taste here.

Now get in line.

I only got HTTT recently but am liking it a lot, 'tis a very interesting album in all sorts of ways.

PS Yes Zoomerang I do prefer Radiohead to Oasis, don't worry.
no worries at all. feel free to question my 7udgement...

you've got good taste, though our opinions do clash at times. that's to be expected though.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

i suppose you didn't read the article.

for one, that wasn't thom who talked about coldplay. it was the author. i suppose you didn't read that...i understand, i mean, it was a really long article after all, and without pictures to mix it up along the way, it can be really quite tough.

and to your first point, nowhere does it say the songs will be like kid a. it's a process like kid a. perhaps you didn't catch that either? again, no pictures to help paint that picture, a problem?

and if you think kid a and their following albums are too "strange", then indeed, heed basstrap's advice and stick with the formulaic shitrock message boarders at interference praise to no end.

i don't mean to name names *cough cough COLDPLAY *cough cough

...but i guess you didn't read that part either.
You need to read my post again. My comment was on the class of the Coldplay dig, never attributing it to Radiohead.

But thanks for the condescending tone.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

I suggest a duel.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap

and keane
and starsailor
and the Doves
and Travis
and....all the other clones

Doves...clones?

Of what?

Fuck...if we are going to talk of CLONES...let's go back in time before Radiohead and Oasis....Let's talk Stone Roses and RIDE and CharlatansUK.

OX4
Old 06-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

Doves...clones?

Of what?

Fuck...if we are going to talk of CLONES...let's go back in time before Radiohead and Oasis....Let's talk Stone Roses and RIDE and CharlatansUK.

OX4
It all started w/ Raiohead, and every band since is copying them.

OX4 is a brilliant tune. Thought it's fairly obvioues they were ripping of Radiohead, even though it was released in 1992.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Don't get me wrong...I love Radiohead (damn you zoomerang96). But, the reason why I love them so much is because their musical styles and ingenuity is a lot like bands I listened too before Radiohead came around (see bands above).

Check out Ride...they are Radiohead's Oxford neighbors (and, for you Oasis fans, I am sure you know where where Andy Bell came from).

Let's go back a little further. Bauhaus (and Tones on Tail, Love and rockets as well as the solo careers of Peter Murphy, David J and Daniel Ash): Take a listen there and tell me there isn't some influence on Radiohead's ingenuity. In fact, Bauhaus never had a "Pablo Honey" or "The Bends" - they went right to "Kid A"
Old 06-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

This statement confuses me, my friend.

Basstrap suggests starsailor and Doves as "clones" - is this the "formulaic shitrock message boarders at interference praise to no end" that you speak of?
Old 06-11-2005, 12:15 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:03 PM
While I must say I find the Doves to be enjoyable, for the most part...starsailor are pretty bad.

But they both play in the same genre of easy, mid-tempo, melodics..and, yes, it is always formulaic...That sort of mash-up of Radiohead and U2 influences

also, I do not understand how the Stone Roses even begin to enter into this picture
Old 06-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

I see the Stone Roses as the current grand daddy's of brit rock or brit pop or anything coming out of Britain these days. They reinvigorated the music scene. I feel that they paved the way for all of the current bands to be 'popular' and/or signed. And Oasis ripped them off.