MERGED --> Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

I love this show! Tonight's episode, where they helped the guy propose to his girlfriend, was so romantic and so fun to watch. Carson (the fashion expert) is hilarious, and when they first get to the straight guy's place and start looking around, I'm usually crying from laughing so hard.

When I heard about it, I wasn't sure what to think, but now that I've seen it, it's got to be my new favorite show. Has anyone else watched this?

yes, i like this show too

ive only seen half an episode, but my favorite line was "what are we, the 5 fags from IBM?"

I was just listening to the lame ass radio station my employees listen to hear at work (I need to get a CD player for my office) - and they were talking about last night's show, but WOULDN'T MENTION THE NAME (because it has "queer" in it). :down:

Angela Harlem said:
I'm curious now.

Now YOU are the curious one :ohmy:

using the term "curious" will in the context for the show hopefully will make sense after my post.....maybe not.

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy is a new cable television show on BRAVO. It is actually a makeover show. Check out the link.

edit: Sorry April...didn't see your post.

Last edited:
I don't have cable so I suppose I'll never see the show. And while I admit, it sounds humourous, I can't wonder if it does more of a disservice to the gay community by perpetuating stereotypes.

Blind Leading the Bland
I suppose that minstrelsy is the sincerest form of insult. If television can be reliably held to reflect the evolution of a minority's status in culture, then gay people appear to be at the What's Happenin'? stage.

Cashing in on the success of shows like Changing Rooms and other reality shows, Bravo has created Queer Eye For the Straight Guy, in which tyrannical gay fashionistas remodel some poor straight man in their coke-mirrored image. Echoing the vacuous brain decay of Jack from Will & Grace, Bravo seeks to show gay men as materialistic vamps, style clowns with cock-centered worldviews who see conversation as an opportunity for Three's Company-level double entendres. When these men open their mouths, distant stars collapse. Whereas Jack can be relished as at least part parody, his real-life Bravo counterparts murder any possible redeeming irony.

Stock representations are a mixed bag at best. On the one hand, gays become lauded for their alleged virtues: aesthetic superiority and brassy wit. On the other hand, those illusory victories simply reify and subtly reinforce the incoherent category of oppression that corralled everyone together in an ill-fitting noose in the first place. If you doubt this is the case, scan the periphery of the dialogue about pederast priests. Why did gay people even have to defend their collective sexual impulses because of a few ugly strays? Stereotyping cuts twice as much as it mends.
rest of article here

not to rain on anyone's parade, but I thought maybe it would be food for thought. :)

Well, my husband and I both really enjoy the show and have discussed its premise quite a bit. Yes, there is the perpetuating of stereotypes on some level (although it's obvious that the Fab 5 are professionals in their fields and not just gay men who happen to enjoy shopping, cooking, and decorating), but after seeing four or five episodes, we've decided that it's worth watching.

When you consider all the hatred that people have toward gays (especially in a place like where I live, Oklahoma, or as evidenced by people being afraid to say the word 'queer'), I think that any show that shows gays and straights getting along and doing fun things together has some redeeming qualities. And to show real straight men (not actors), of all people, getting along with gay men is a positive thing in my book. Besides, it's just a tv show whose purpose is to entertain people, which this show does. And you can tell that the guys (the Fab 5 and the straight man) have a great time. Last night, the straight man cried when the Fab 5 left because he was so touched by all the things they had done for him.

Just my perspective after watching a couple of episodes.

Edit: Whoops! Typo!

Last edited:
I enjoy that show-especially Carson, he is SO funny!

I agree w/ what you said Heartland Girl about the positive qualities of the show. I do wonder when I watch if gay people would be offended by it. I loved last night's episode when that guy cried - he was genuinely touched by all they had done to help him. And how cute was he? :drool: :D

And they definitely are good at what they do-I think their makeovers of the guys, and of their houses/apartments, are the best I've seen on TV. They are 5 talented, funny and sweet guys, and the fact that they're gay becomes an irrelevant sidenote, other than when it comes out in their own humor.

sulawesigirl4 said:
I don't have cable so I suppose I'll never see the show. And while I admit, it sounds humourous, I can't wonder if it does more of a disservice to the gay community by perpetuating stereotypes.

I had the same reaction to the description of the show. The "What's Happenin'?" reference seems on target. Not outrageous stereotypes, but subtle ones.

For those who watch the show, does a portion of the entertainment come from the fulfilling of stereotypes?

Last edited:
They need to do a reverse show where 5 straight guys remake a gay guy. They could teach him the joys of not shaving for a week, drinking beer from a can, changing a flat tire, AC/DC records, doubleheader baseball games and wearing your favorite jeans for a month between washings.

I actually caught yesterday's episode (first one I've seen). It was pretty damn funny, especially their comments upon first entering the house.

"What is this, art?"
"Yeah, sort of. Why, do you like it?"
"No. It's horrible."

:lol:

mmmBono said:
someone here has gotta tell me when it's on...like the day and time!! :hyper:

You might double check, but I think new episodes are on Tuesday nights, 9 p.m. central time, so 10 eastern.

Also, I caught a few of the older episodes on Saturday afternoon between 4 and 7 p.m. central time. And the show is on the Bravo channel.

HeartlandGirl said:

You might double check, but I think new episodes are on Tuesday nights, 9 p.m. central time, so 10 eastern.

Also, I caught a few of the older episodes on Saturday afternoon between 4 and 7 p.m. central time. And the show is on the Bravo channel.
Thank you!!! :hyper:
You are awesome!!!
And if anyone knows about when they show re-runs....let me know!! :)

I think the reruns are on Thursdays at 9 or 10.

I really don't think it's overly stereotypical of gays - anymore than it is stereotyping straight men as hopeless, sloppy buffoons with no fashion sense.

Of course my friend and I who watch together on the phone call it our 'Joe Millionaire" so we are aware that it is a guilty pleasure and kind of crap TV - but there is hardly anything on that isn't.

I can't stomach reality shows

they're more staged than actual sitcoms or dramas

watching it, I can see the grimey fingerprints of producers molding it the way they want...it's annoying.
like that fucking "who wants to marry my dad"
what a horrible show. those lie detectors and the magic shows and the fax machine (oooooh....the fax machine is going off...que the slow motion and dramatic sound effects). survivor is not much better.

of course, I haven't seen this queer eye one, so maybe it's not so fake.

Me too! I finally saw some episodes tonight--hysterical!

Actually, I think they do a great job too. Make-over shows are generally terrible and fakey (with the exception of the British "What Not To Wear") but this one is very well done, imho.

way to ruin everyones fun sula;)

YellowKite said:
I
I really don't think it's overly stereotypical of gays - anymore than it is stereotyping straight men as hopeless, sloppy buffoons with no fashion sense.

im a very hetero male with fabulously pressed pants.

nbcrusader said:

I had the same reaction to the description of the show. The "What's Happenin'?" reference seems on target. Not outrageous stereotypes, but subtle ones.

For those who watch the show, does a portion of the entertainment come from the fulfilling of stereotypes?

Yes.

Let me go on the record as saying I have been liking the show but I am starting to find it boring. It is the same thing again, and again, and again.

With the bordom at the last episode, I started thinking about the stereotyping. Part of the show's humor is not just in the stereotyping of some of the Fab Five, but in the stereotyping of the straight guy on the show.

I am betting that my fascination with the show that I thought I was hooked on fades rapidly. I also think if it were reveresed and fight straight guys were remaking gay men, the world would be up in arms. I will watch again, but I think I may be tired of this show quickly.

I have watched two shows and enjoyed them.

As for the "stereotyping" well they say there is a little truth behind all stereotyping.

Of course, any one picked for a "make over" is going to be clueless. I do not see that as Straight casting, but a necessity for the show.

What is nice about it, is the concern the fab five has for the feelings and success of their client.

The fab five were obviously chosen for their abilities.

I have two gay friends that desperately need their services.

I also think if it were reversed and five straight guys were remaking gay men the world would be up in arms

The reverse argument often times is a good test for reasonableness. It dose not always apply.

If you are going to say Liberal politician should be treated the same as a Conservative politician for making a bigoted statement, that makes sense.

Sorry, but survey says gay man is better at interior decorating than straight man.

I like the show but do agree that I think this show is part of the "reality shows" trend and that once people see it enough times it will star to get old BUT saying that I love the show. It's to funny!!

Back
Top Bottom