MERGED --> Queer Eye for the Straight Guy - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2003, 11:59 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:28 PM
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

I love this show! Tonight's episode, where they helped the guy propose to his girlfriend, was so romantic and so fun to watch. Carson (the fashion expert) is hilarious, and when they first get to the straight guy's place and start looking around, I'm usually crying from laughing so hard.

When I heard about it, I wasn't sure what to think, but now that I've seen it, it's got to be my new favorite show. Has anyone else watched this?

Old 07-30-2003, 12:50 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:28 AM
yes, i like this show too

ive only seen half an episode, but my favorite line was "what are we, the 5 fags from IBM?"

Old 07-30-2003, 06:03 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:28 PM
I'll ask again

what the heck is this show about?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:08 AM   #4
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:28 PM
No one answered in IO yertle...Maybe its a secret.

I'm curious now.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:01 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

5 gay guys find straight guys to makeover, as in hair, clothes, food, and home. They have an expert for each area and then they go to town helping the guy out. It's hilarious as all get out, I love it.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:02 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

I was just listening to the lame ass radio station my employees listen to hear at work (I need to get a CD player for my office) - and they were talking about last night's show, but WOULDN'T MENTION THE NAME (because it has "queer" in it).
Old 07-30-2003, 08:12 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I'm curious now.
Now YOU are the curious one

using the term "curious" will in the context for the show hopefully will make sense after my post.....maybe not.

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy is a new cable television show on BRAVO. It is actually a makeover show. Check out the link.

edit: Sorry April...didn't see your post.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:17 AM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:28 PM
So its like "Designer Guys" for someone's entire life???

Thanks Zoner and April

**no longer 'curious'**
Old 07-30-2003, 08:55 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:28 PM
that's a fairly interesting concept

doubt it shall make it to our conservative shores, though

ah well
Old 07-30-2003, 09:28 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I don't have cable so I suppose I'll never see the show. And while I admit, it sounds humourous, I can't wonder if it does more of a disservice to the gay community by perpetuating stereotypes.

Quote:
Blind Leading the Bland
I suppose that minstrelsy is the sincerest form of insult. If television can be reliably held to reflect the evolution of a minority's status in culture, then gay people appear to be at the What's Happenin'? stage.

Cashing in on the success of shows like Changing Rooms and other reality shows, Bravo has created Queer Eye For the Straight Guy, in which tyrannical gay fashionistas remodel some poor straight man in their coke-mirrored image. Echoing the vacuous brain decay of Jack from Will & Grace, Bravo seeks to show gay men as materialistic vamps, style clowns with cock-centered worldviews who see conversation as an opportunity for Three's Company-level double entendres. When these men open their mouths, distant stars collapse. Whereas Jack can be relished as at least part parody, his real-life Bravo counterparts murder any possible redeeming irony.

Stock representations are a mixed bag at best. On the one hand, gays become lauded for their alleged virtues: aesthetic superiority and brassy wit. On the other hand, those illusory victories simply reify and subtly reinforce the incoherent category of oppression that corralled everyone together in an ill-fitting noose in the first place. If you doubt this is the case, scan the periphery of the dialogue about pederast priests. Why did gay people even have to defend their collective sexual impulses because of a few ugly strays? Stereotyping cuts twice as much as it mends.
rest of article here
not to rain on anyone's parade, but I thought maybe it would be food for thought.

Old 07-30-2003, 09:51 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:28 PM
Well, my husband and I both really enjoy the show and have discussed its premise quite a bit. Yes, there is the perpetuating of stereotypes on some level (although it's obvious that the Fab 5 are professionals in their fields and not just gay men who happen to enjoy shopping, cooking, and decorating), but after seeing four or five episodes, we've decided that it's worth watching.

When you consider all the hatred that people have toward gays (especially in a place like where I live, Oklahoma, or as evidenced by people being afraid to say the word 'queer'), I think that any show that shows gays and straights getting along and doing fun things together has some redeeming qualities. And to show real straight men (not actors), of all people, getting along with gay men is a positive thing in my book. Besides, it's just a tv show whose purpose is to entertain people, which this show does. And you can tell that the guys (the Fab 5 and the straight man) have a great time. Last night, the straight man cried when the Fab 5 left because he was so touched by all the things they had done for him.

Just my perspective after watching a couple of episodes.

Edit: Whoops! Typo!
Old 07-30-2003, 10:00 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I enjoy that show-especially Carson, he is SO funny!

I agree w/ what you said Heartland Girl about the positive qualities of the show. I do wonder when I watch if gay people would be offended by it. I loved last night's episode when that guy cried - he was genuinely touched by all they had done to help him. And how cute was he?

And they definitely are good at what they do-I think their makeovers of the guys, and of their houses/apartments, are the best I've seen on TV. They are 5 talented, funny and sweet guys, and the fact that they're gay becomes an irrelevant sidenote, other than when it comes out in their own humor.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:52 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
I don't have cable so I suppose I'll never see the show. And while I admit, it sounds humourous, I can't wonder if it does more of a disservice to the gay community by perpetuating stereotypes.
I had the same reaction to the description of the show. The "What's Happenin'?" reference seems on target. Not outrageous stereotypes, but subtle ones.

For those who watch the show, does a portion of the entertainment come from the fulfilling of stereotypes?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:59 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
how is it any different from What Not To Wear?
Old 07-30-2003, 01:53 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

They need to do a reverse show where 5 straight guys remake a gay guy. They could teach him the joys of not shaving for a week, drinking beer from a can, changing a flat tire, AC/DC records, doubleheader baseball games and wearing your favorite jeans for a month between washings.