MERGED--->Pearl Jam: Rate new album "RIOT ACT" + Riot Act + Anyone hear new PJ? + AB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you rate PJs new album "RIOT ACT"

Votes: 4 40.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

U2DMfan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Riot Act

I was curious about opinions on the new Pearl Jam-Riot Act.

I think it's much better than it's predecessor Binaural, and it might take a few more listens to get used to the new songs. Early favorites:

Cant Keep
Love Boat Captain
Thumbing My Way
You Are
Green Disease

and of course, I am Mine which has been out for a good while.

I can't believe I resisted the urge to download this album, it sure does add to that 'first listen' enjoyment.

Also, how cool is Arc? Eddie is a badass.

I downloaded about half the tunes....I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it. I wasn't crazy about most of what I heard, except "thumbing my way" which I think is one of the best songs they ever wrote.
hmmm....jury is still out on this one....I did like binaural though.

I like it too, definitely much better than Binaural. Will take a few listens to get to know the songs better.

Eddie could be well advised to stay away from the "talking" songs. They're a bit silly.:yes:

Pearl Jam: Rate new album "RIOT ACT"

I just bought the new album today and I am in the process of listening to it. What do you think?

sounds great so far, but it's gonna take many more listens, which i'm happy about, usually if i love an album after 1 or 2 listens i hate it after 5 or 6

I guess I should not be surprised that only one person has voted in this poll since I have yet to vote either. I just bought the album yesterday and have not made up my mind yet on how to rate it. Still though, it is kind of surprising that only one person has voted. I wonder if we are the only one's who have the new album around here?

I just got it today, along with (um) 3 other CDs...it has to wait its turn because I'm still drooling over A Rush of Blood to the Head...

Just bought it the other day. I have yet to finish listening to the whole album, but so far, it's pretty good.

Ah, but of course I got it!! I have been listening to it a lot since Tuesday and I'm starting to love it!! :D At first, like any PJ album, it takes a while to get used to it or get into it.. but after listening to it all the way through who knows how many times know.. I really like it!!! :heart:

I love, "Love Boat Captain," "You Are," "Save You," and "Thumbing My Way." Those are my fav right now!!

forgot to add, I also really love Eddie's vocals on "ARC" I wish it was longer!

did anybody hear the new Pearl Jam yet

I love Can't Keep, save YOu, Love Boat Captain, Thumbing my way, Half full, and all or none. There a couple of other good ones, but those are the ones I really like. ANd you are is awesome too.

again, another cd id buy if i didnt have other priorities. i love i am mine, but i have heard nothing else from the album. reviews have been poor though, from what ive read, but theyre the same ones who are endorsing linkon park to the mtv generation, allowing such an awful band to win best band in the world or whatever that was in portugal spain the europe the world gooday.

i hate you all.

it's not poppy and catchy enough, not enough sweet choruses, eddie's just not sexy and sweet enough, matt cameron is an ugly drummer, the other alternative is to scream about how bad your childhoood was even though youre in your late 20s or 30s

funndy dat

Pearl Jam's Riot Act compared to Achtung Baby... kinda.

From www.rollingstone.com

Despite some clever sonic choices -- Stone Gossard's guitar imitates a malfunctioning modem on "Wanted to Get Right," and Achtung Baby delay effects are sprinkled throughout -- the band has eschewed the experimental tweaks producer Tchad Blake brought to 2000's Binaural. The familiarity of this straightforward tumble sounds tired -- the musicians struggle to put their backs and hearts into the Mudhoney-ish rocker "Save You." But like Neil Young at his most deliberately despondent, Pearl Jam sound purposefully tired. Songs such as "Can't Keep" fall subtly into their choruses rather than explode into anthems because Vedder and his mates are too honest to indulge in the showboating of today's power balladeers. Anyone can fake a heroic stand in the studio. It's more challenging to quietly voice your need to take a step back.

I reckon this is the best Pearl Jam album yet. You Are is awesome and is written by Matt Cameron (he also plays guitar on it I believe.) Like all the songs love, Save You, You Are, Love Boat Captain, Thumbing My Way, and of course I Am Mine.

Cant wait to get it LOUD!!!!

Needless to say I voted 10.

BTW go to www.blackredyellow.com and support the New Zealand Petition to bring PJ here. Thanks!!!!

Here is how "Riot Act" charted around the world in its first week on sale:

Australia #1
Italy #2
New Zealand #2
Norway #3
Canada #4
United States #5
Ireland #9
Sweden #13
Germany #13
Switzerland #13
Denmark #16
Austria #24
Netherlands #25
France #29
United Kingdom #34

LOVE this album!

I've listened to this album about 100 fucking million times by now...and it's simply fookin awesome...really it is...and I agree with who said it was their best yet. I believe it IS their best yet.
No more angst and anger filled albums.....I don't think that kind of shit will come from them....so if you're waiting for a TEN remake...you are NOT going to get it.
I gave this one a 10.
And don't listen to Rolling Stone's review of Riot Act.
Rolling Stone mag is not a pro PJ mag....they've been on the bad side of PJ for years...so I feel Keith Harris' review was biased, and not from the heart.
And they don't fucking sound tired.
I guess awake= screaming your royal fucking head off
And tired= singing.
oxoxo
Autumn

Rolling Stone has actually been on Pearl Jams's side their entire career. Every Pearl Jam album has recieved 4 or 4 and a half stars until "Riot Act". Few artist have as high a number of ratings from Rolling Stone over the course of 7 studio albums.

I'm a big Pearl Jam fan and have all their studio albums. I was a big fan of BINAURAL and feel "Riot Act" falls short of that album. I listen to Riot Act nearly every day since it was released but feel it falls short of any of their previous 6 albums. There are some classics on there like "You Are", "Thumbing My Way", and "Love Boat Captain". Perhaps more listenings will in appreciating the album more. It is a good album and far better than "Creed" or "Linkin Park" stuff on the radio.

I know that their reviews by RS on their previous albums were very good...
But somehow...over the last couple of years, something has gone sour....anyhow...they did hire a hack to do a review of Riot Act...just my opinion...
They hardly advertised Riot Act in that mag....you could only find it in fine print....

I'm still listening to Riot Act like non stop! :D And I love it!!! From track to track! But right now my fav is "Thumbing my way" Awwww..... what a beautiful song!! It's one of my fav albums but I still like YIELD better! But damn Riot Act is good!

Back
Top Bottom