MERGED --> Paris DUI + Paris is going to jail - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #241
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

Sure, but I betcha a million bucks *I*, a nobody, would not get any kind of option to be able to get out of jail.
ok well how can you hate her for doing the same thing you would have done if you were in her position?

hate the system for giving her that opportunity, dont hate her for taking advantage of it.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #242
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 08:03 PM
Can we just hate both?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

sure, i still dont get hating on someone just because theyre rich, but go ahead
Old 06-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #244
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

or we can just hate Skeletor

Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #245
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
ok well how can you hate her for doing the same thing you would have done if you were in her position?

hate the system for giving her that opportunity, dont hate her for taking advantage of it.

Hm I dont recall ever saying that I hated her.

I just think its kinda fucked how someone with money and who is famous can get away with things like this. And yeah, the system is screwed as well.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #246
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I guess if it comes out that whoever makes these decisions just decided that the original sentence was too harsh for the crime and then reduced her sentence, I could understand that. I mean, I could see that happening to a regular, non-famous person. (Disclaimer: I don't know a ton about these kinds of things.)

I actually think this is what happened, she was given an unusually harsh sentence. That and that she served about what any normal person would have served for a similar offense. Harvey Levin from TMZ admitted so on the radio this morning. He also acknowledged that her getting out would cut down on the traffic to his site. He seems to have found a way to keep the traffic up.

I don't know what was up with the medical excuse. I think that's what makes people think this was corrupt. A book and release is not that uncommon even for joe schmoe.

I only hate that the media is giving this SO much coverage
Old 06-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #247
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Quote:

Paris blew it or the legal system blew it? Are you saying if you had the option to leave jail you wouldn't take it?
We really don't know all the facts. But if she got out by begging and whining to her lawyer that she couldn't sleep and couldn't eat the food and that he had to do something and get her out of there, she blew it. But honestly, if I were a celebrity in her shoes, widely hated just because she's famous for no reason other than because she's a socialite, there is probably no way in hell I'd want to be treated in a special way (i.e., let out after 3 days for what sounds like a fake illness). I'd have too much self-respect and would just want to do my time like everyone else. I'm crazy that way. If I were truly innocent and wrongly convicted, I'd fight like hell and yes, leave if offered.

But I'm not convinced that her sentence was fair to begin with. But that's neither here nor there. She was guilty, sentenced, the judge was pretty firm about it, and then this sudden turnaround? Yes, the legal system blew it, too. (And like corianderstem said, I don't know crap about these things, just going on information the media has provided.)

The whole thing stinks.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #248
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

because she's famous for no reason other than because she's a socialite

That's it. That's the reason she's annoying.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I really dislike it when people assume any critique of or snark about a celebrity stems from jealousy. It also makes me roll my eyes really hard.

well as people have stated here, and in my experience is the general public opinion, people hate her because she is filthy rich and a celebrity, but has done nothing to deserve it. ok so what? all kids born into wealth don't really "deserve it," but is that a reason to hate them? because their parents worked hard to provide a good life for them?

maybe if she went around beating up homeless people, or going all donald trump on people, i could see the hate. but hating her because you dont think she "deserves" to be a celebrity? geez, that smacks of jealousy.

and to hate her because she thinks she is "above the law" is pretty petty too. we ALL use our resources available to us to prevent the law coming down on us. if a pretty girl flirts with a cop or cries to get out of a ticket, i guess we should hate her for thinking she is above the law. if someone pays a lawyer to fix a ticket for them, i guess we should hate that person because he thinks he is above the law. i mean there are poor people who cant afford to fix tickets, who does he think he is??

im sorry but any one of you would do what you can to get out of legal trouble as well. to hate her because she has more resources to do it seems pretty petty.

anyway, i dont know how i got into defending paris so much, just seems silly how obsessed some people are with her.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #250
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

well as people have stated here, and in my experience is the general public opinion, people hate her because she is filthy rich and a celebrity, but has done nothing to deserve it. ok so what? all kids born into wealth don't really "deserve it," but is that a reason to hate them? because their parents worked hard to provide a good life for them?

maybe if she went around beating up homeless people, or going all donald trump on people, i could see the hate. but hating her because you dont think she "deserves" to be a celebrity? geez, that smacks of jealousy.

and to hate her because she thinks she is "above the law" is pretty petty too. we ALL use our resources available to us to prevent the law coming down on us. if a pretty girl flirts with a cop or cries to get out of a ticket, i guess we should hate her for thinking she is above the law. if someone pays a lawyer to fix a ticket for them, i guess we should hate that person because he thinks he is above the law. i mean there are poor people who cant afford to fix tickets, who does he think he is??

im sorry but any one of you would do what you can to get out of legal trouble as well. to hate her because she has more resources to do it seems pretty petty.

anyway, i dont know how i got into defending paris so much, just seems silly how obsessed some people are with her.
i have PBA cards in my wallet that should, in theory, get me out of certain tickets if i'm pulled over by the police departments who issued the cards. i suppose i too am above the law.

the ironic thing, of course, that those people who constantly read news on her, complaining about how she doesn't deserve to be a celebrity and all, are only fueling her celebrity. if no one paid attention, she'd just be a hot chick with a lot of money.

and yes, she is very attractive physically. are there better looking? sure... but those who say she is ugly either have a very high standard or are just in denial for whatever strank reason.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:03 PM
Quote:

Look, I don't like any asswipe that circumvents the law. Rich, poor, whatever. Paris Hilton is no exception. The fact the our justice system is so f'ed up pisses me off. I don't think there is anything petty about that.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

and yes, she is very attractive physically. are there better looking? sure... but those who say she is ugly either have a very high standard or are just in denial for whatever strank reason.
Wow, I didn't realize the universe is now going by your standards of what makes someone attractive or not.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #253
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

r.
Good grief. I'm in law school - stupid people like her are the bread and butter of my career. I don't hate her resources or her. I believe that the criminal justice system when it comes to alcohol-impaired driving is a sham. This isn't my opinion, it's a fact. She is merely symptomatic of a total collapse of a legal system.

One of these days, a young, lazy "star" like her will go and run over a couple of cute, blonde kiddies and then public outrage will send her to jail for a long time in order to be exemplary. That is how our system works.

We should all be more outraged that people can drink and drive and kill and maim with impunity. Maybe if people familiarized themselves with how few drunk drivers are ever charged or convicted they'd think differently. And getting DUIs off on technicalities is one of the reasons that there is study after study after study pointing that upwards of 50% of police officers don't even bother laying charges because they (correctly) believe the person won't get convicted.

Our law is a sham. That isn't Paris' problem. She's just an extra special example of this sham.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #254
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

ok, compare paris to the most beautiful celebrities, and yeah she may not be as beautiful, compare her to the 99.999% of the general population, and she's pretty darn good looking.

i wouldnt call her skeletor unless i was freakin marilyn monroe myself. of course i think skeletor is pretty sexy anyway.

so ugly

Ok ok! Clearly we have different definitions of attractive females...That doesn't make me petty or jealous because I don't think there is anything remarkable about her appearance.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #255
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

But honestly, if I were a celebrity in her shoes, widely hated just because she's famous for no reason other than because she's a socialite, there is probably no way in hell I'd want to be treated in a special way (i.e., let out after 3 days for what sounds like a fake illness). I'd have too much self-respect and would just want to do my time like everyone else. I'm crazy that way. If I were truly innocent and wrongly convicted, I'd fight like hell and yes, leave if offered.

You have these strong feelings probably because you weren't raised in that atmosphere...who's to say how you would truly act if you had been, because your whole perspective on life would be totally different....this girl has no idea how real people live outside of her "bubble" i mean, remember, she thought walmart was a place that sold walls! So while we like to think we would have our same ideals put in this same situation...we can't truly know how we would act unless we were brought up in the same manner...does that make sense?
and....chip...you keep saying people in this trhead "hate" Paris...where I do not think people are saying that....