MERGED --> Paris DUI + Paris is going to jail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JCOSTER said:

Because not only is she a spoiled brat.....shes stupid to boot!

when one is calling someone stupid, it's best to use proper grammar.

now if i were to assume that because you used "shes" instead of "she's" that you are stupid, i then would be very stupid myself. now why on earth would you assume that someone whom you've never met in your life is stupid, just because of a public persona that, in reality, is probably mostly an act?

i'm nitpicking, yes... of course. everyone makes spelling and grammar mistakes, esp. when posting on a meaningless message board. but i just want to know what leads you to believe that this woman is stupid?

DWI/DUI Courts Work
by David J. Hanson, Ph.D.

Convinced that we can’t jail our way out of the drunk driving problem, some judges have created so-called DWI courts (sometimes called DUI courts). These innovative courts use substance-abuse interventions and treatment with defendants who plead guilty of driving while intoxicated.

Not every DWI offender is alcoholic, but most hard core repeat offenders are. And hard core repeat offenders are involved in the majority of alcohol-related traffic fatalities.

The emphasis of DWI courts is on reducing drunk driving by treating one of its major causes, alcoholism. Nevertheless, some offenders are sentenced to jail and the crime remains on their records.

The head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NHTSA), Dr. Jeffrey Runge, is promoting DWI courts as a major way to reduce impaired driving. He stresses that most Americans make the right choices about drinking and driving. For example, choosing to have one drink instead of six on their way home from work. Dr. Runge says DWI courts are most useful for those who are unable to make wise choices because of their addiction.

Those who want DWI court treatment are required to abstain from alcohol. Some must wear a device that permits their blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels to be downloaded at least once a day. “They may get unannounced visits from police officers who give drug or alcohol tests -- and then come back an hour later to give another one just to make sure offenders don’t celebrate after passing the first test.” 1

It appears that DWI courts are effective. In one of the first such courts, started in 1997, the recidivism rate has fallen from about 45% down to only 13.5%. It’s obvious why the head of the national Highway traffic Safety Administration is so actively promoting their establishment across the United States. Currently there are only about 60 DWI courts in the country.

If we are to significantly reduce drunk driving, every community should have a DWI court.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/DrivingIssues/1083352479.html

-Jail or prison sentences for alcohol offenses, in spite of their great popularity, appear to be of little value in deterring high BAC drivers.
-Such sentences may deter low BAC drinkers, but such drivers are not the problem. Incarceration is probably ineffective with high BAC drivers, who tend to be alcohol dependent individuals with very serious problems who need treatment.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/DrinkingAndDriving.html

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

i'm nitpicking, yes... of course. everyone makes spelling and grammar mistakes, esp. when posting on a meaningless message board. but i just want to know what leads you to believe that this woman is stupid?

I can't answer for JCOSTER, but somebody who has a suspended licence and who is hounded 24/7 by the media goes driving on that suspended licence twice....certainly sounds stupid to me. Particularly when this is an individual who can very well afford a hired car or a cab.

fly so high! said:
The difference between the Blood Alcohol Levels is the only difference here.

The impairment is the same.

to suggest the impairment is the same between having 2 drinks and 14 drinks is ludicrous.

anitram said:

I can't answer for JCOSTER, but somebody who has a suspended licence and who is hounded 24/7 by the media goes driving on that suspended licence twice....certainly sounds stupid to me. Particularly when this is an individual who can very well afford a hired car or a cab.

:applaud:

Chizip said:

to suggest the impairment is the same between having 2 drinks and 14 drinks is ludicrous.

Why? I have a friend who hardly ever drinks and if she has even a glass of wine she is totally loopy. I have to drink significantly more than her to get the same effect. Alchohol affects people differently sometimes, it's a matter of chemistry.

when one is calling someone stupid, it's best to use proper grammar.

now if i were to assume that because you used "shes" instead of "she's" that you are stupid, i then would be very stupid myself. now why on earth would you assume that someone whom you've never met in your life is stupid, just because of a public persona that, in reality, is probably mostly an act?

Because of the way she carries herself, the image she portrays, all the wonderful things she does to improve the world. Please give me a break. She is nothing but a self centered rich brat who has had her own way from the day she was born.

And yes, she can hire a limo, a cab, a bus, an rv, plane and even a freak'in camel if she wanted to, there is no reason for her driving while under the influence especially because of $$$. Who is she to drive while drinking and then go against her probation and then she is supposed to get off the hook. I don't think so.
At 26 years old its time to step up to the plate and stop crying for mommie.

And the next time I see you at a book signing, your going to be sorry for picking on me "O'Shannon of the River!" :shame:

anitram said:

Thanks!

I heard about the California prison system the other day from my friend in LA...He said when someone reports to jail, they can show up until one minute before midnight and thats counted as one day in jail!! When Paris left the MTV awards, she went to jail 15-20 minutes before midnight and shes been in jail one day.. This is a stupid law I think :mad: When she got out on Thursday, the media says she was in 5 days when its really 3 days an some hours. Who came up with this idea? People should serve every hour they are sentenced for!

I think it's pretty sad that a 25 year old is so ill prepared for life. But that said, she broke the law repeatedly & knowingly. So get your cry-baby butt in jail and check out the "real world" for a couple of weeks. :wink:

but i just want to know what leads you to believe that this woman is stupid?

errrr.....because she thinks Walmart is a store that sells walls?:rolleyes:

Chizip said:

Very ludicrous.

So if the impairment is the same, I'm just as likely as to get naked and sing "Another One Bites The Dust" from the top of my lungs while throwing bananas during a high school reunion after ONLY TWO DRINKS?

I must be a cheap date.

(Totally hypothetical situation, BTW. TOTALLY)

Daddysgonnapay said:

errrr.....because she thinks Walmart is a store that sells walls?:rolleyes:

I think Paris puts up a front for the cameras and plays off being dumb for even more attention.

But then again, the little spoiled bitch doesn't even know how to pump gas into her $300,000 Bentley...

It would be hard to prove that Paris is smart or is really as dumb as she lets on to be.

hardyharhar said:
But that said, she broke the law repeatedly & knowingly.

That's really what it comes down to. When you have a suspended license, you don't drive. Period. Let alone after you've been drinking.

I think I'd be less bothered by the situation if she'd merely gotten a DUI and was being punished this way. But the fact that she violated her probation more than once makes me much less sympathetic.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

I think I'd be less bothered by the situation if she'd merely gotten a DUI and was being punished this way. But the fact that she violated her probation more than once makes me much less sympathetic.

yes.....and blamed it on her publicist...or agent:eyebrow:

absintheminded said:

Very ludicrous.

So if the impairment is the same, I'm just as likely as to get naked and sing "Another One Bites The Dust" from the top of my lungs while throwing bananas during a high school reunion after ONLY TWO DRINKS?

I've said this before and I'll say it again—people react to alcohol in vastly different ways. Bodies are like snowflakes—no two are alike—and no two react to alcohol in the exact same manner.

It's all about chemistry. And it's for this reason that while someone might view getting a DUI with a 0.08 blood alcohol differently than someone with 0.15 the fact remains that someone with 0.08 can be just as dangerous depending on their alcohol tolerance.

JCOSTER said:

Because of the way she carries herself, the image she portrays, all the wonderful things she does to improve the world. Please give me a break. She is nothing but a self centered rich brat who has had her own way from the day she was born.

And yes, she can hire a limo, a cab, a bus, an rv, plane and even a freak'in camel if she wanted to, there is no reason for her driving while under the influence especially because of $$$. Who is she to drive while drinking and then go against her probation and then she is supposed to get off the hook. I don't think so.
At 26 years old its time to step up to the plate and stop crying for mommie.

And the next time I see you at a book signing, your going to be sorry for picking on me "O'Shannon of the River!" :shame:

no one's picking on anyone.

ya don't think there are some very smart people with a lot of money who've done stupid things?

you honestly don't think that a lot of her public persona is an act? she has an entire nation talking about her for no reason whatsoever. what, she's the only rich kid out there?

i don't know if she's smart, stupid or anywhere in between. what i do know is that she's a famous public figure for absolutely no reason whatsoever. so if she's really that stupid, and here we all her watching her every move, then we're pretty god damned stupid, too.

Once again, I know I'm new to this forum, but there just seems to be a huge amount of hate, anger, rage, and negativity slamming off the keyboards here. I've read a lot of compassion from the UBBers here as well....it just seems like a strange dichotomy.

I wish more people would dive within for personal peace.

upabove said:
I wish more people would dive within for personal peace.

Well, sure. That's very noble and admirable, and that's not even remotely sarcastic.

But if that's your main goal, it's probably best not to even venture into threads discussing celebrity "news" around here. :)

But hey, better to use a little celebrity snark for an outlet than kicking a puppy. :wink:

Chizip said:

Really......i suppose with that comment you have never been in an accident that has resulted by DUI, have you?

I have.

In October 1997, i was driving my mum back home from a day out of grocery shopping and paying the usual bills. I was driving a 1988 Ford Falcon Station Wagon, my hubby and I used to call it "the beast".

My mum and I were approaching a T intersection at 60kph, when a white van collided with us, the injuries sustained were horrific, my mum was badly hurt.

My mum had her hip smashed out of her socket and also sustained femur fracture, other injuries also sustained was being lynched by the seatbelt which caused heavy abrasions on her right breast and left hand-side neck, she also suffered concussion from having her head being slammed against the side window, and whiplash.

My injuries were no where near as bad.....but i did headbut the steering wheel and one of the keys that had been in the ignition stabbed my right knee cap because the front of my car had been forced so far up that it had dislodged the motor and forced the dash into us.....my station wagon looked like a hatch back.

The fire brigade had to use the "jaws of life" to get us out of the car as the doors were buckled so badly.

I wish i could show you photo's but it was pre-digital for us anyway......and the photo's that were taken are still in police custody i suppose, as it was used as evidence in the courtcase.

The man that hit me was a first time DUI offender.....he was not an alcoholic he just had 2 beers and meat pie for lunch at the local pub, he apparently used to have this lunch quite a bit, and he was on his way to another job when he did not realise that the lights were on red to turn right.

So as much as this is prolly going to fall on your deaf ears, your stupid comments of giving Paris a fair go and your friend had bla-blah and he had only blah-blah so Paris is getting discriminated against because she is a rich kid is falling on my deaf ears. Why you think it's insane that Paris is not stupid and has commented on everybody's post that disagrees with you, is beyond me.

We all do stupid things, i can only hope that Paris understands that she could have hurt someone or even potentially killed someone.

Last edited:
Sorry that happened to you fly so high. What's ludicrous is for people to justify driving while under any impairment. See what happens when you tell it to the judge (or to the people maimed by drivers under any impairment, or the surviving family members of those killed). I just don't get it. One of these days maybe the legal system and the people in this country will take it seriously.

Paris is not going to appeal the sentence. I say bravo to her for that and I hope this is a real step in the right direction for her.

Paris Hilton: I Won't Fight My Sentence

Paris Hilton issued a statement Saturday saying that she will not file an appeal and intends to serve out the remainder of her jail sentence.

"Being in jail is by far the hardest thing I have ever done," she said. "During the past several days, I have had a lot of time to think and I believe that I am learning and growing from this experience."

She said she has spent time reading her fan mail and that "I very much appreciate all of their good wishes and hope they will keep their letters coming."

"Thank you as well to my family who has always stood by me," she continued. "I love you and miss you so much!"

I have to say Paris is doing the right thing by not appealing the sentence it shows that she is growing up finally and taking responsibility.. It took little bit of chaos to finally get her in the right direction... Hope it sticks.

Fly so high,
I am sorry to hear what happened to you. But we all are glad that you and your mum made it out alive.. and have recovered from something so horrific..

No one should drive under any influence IMO but in reality that just is not going to happen..

no one's picking on anyone.

ya don't think there are some very smart people with a lot of money who've done stupid things?

you honestly don't think that a lot of her public persona is an act? she has an entire nation talking about her for no reason whatsoever. what, she's the only rich kid out there?

i don't know if she's smart, stupid or anywhere in between. what i do know is that she's a famous public figure for absolutely no reason whatsoever. so if she's really that stupid, and here we all her watching her every move, then we're pretty god damned stupid, too.

She is stupid because she has tremendous opportunity, to go to college and get better educated, get a driver a limo or a plane.
And yet with all the money she thought someone would come to her rescue with the cash.

I by the way I don't follow her, I just know from what I hear and read in the paper. :wink:

And I have done pretty stupid things in my life...but never endangered anyone elses.

originally posted by Mrs Springsteen
"Being in jail is by far the hardest thing I have ever done," she said. "During the past several days, I have had a lot of time to think and I believe that I am learning and growing from this experience."

I wonder if she really means that, or is just saying that. I'd like to think that she will grow from this, but at the same time this girl knows about PR

Back
Top Bottom