MERGED ----> New Smashing Pumpkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
New Pumpkins single - "Tarantula"

I've heard there's a 30 second clip of it out there, but I can't find one other than a .ram file that I can't open on my mac at work.

Anyone know of an mp3 clip?

Anyone heard it yet?

If the leaked artwork for this album is any indication, it's going to be an epic and monumental failure.

fuck meaningless artwork.

from CMJ:

Smashing Pumpkins Get Residential
2007-05-14 12:20:58.760,
Story by: Taylor Mason

The Smashing Pumpkins are making the most of 2007, as the band not only prepares for their recording return with the July 10 release of Zeitgeist (Martha's Music/Reprise), but also announces a set of landmark residency shows. The still unknown lineup of the Pumpkins will initiate their resident status at Asheville, North Carolina venue the Orange Peel, playing nine shows from June 23 through July before heading to San Francisco, California, where they'll take to the stage at the legendary Fillmore for eight more.

The residency shows will feature intimate sets, as the Smashing Pumpkins will play tracks from their entire catalog as well as Zeitgeist. These shows will mark the first time the Smashing Pumpkins have played a residency since 1994, when the band played four shows at Chicago's Double Door venue.

Tour Dates For The Smashing Pumpkins:
06/23 - Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
06/24 - Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
06/26 - Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
06/27 - Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
06/29 - Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
06/30 - Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
07/02 - Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
07/03 - Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
07/05 - Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
07/22 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
07/24 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
07/25 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
07/27 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
07/28 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
07/30 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
07/31 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
08/01 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore

They'll probably play every song they've ever recorded.
the wife's sister lives in Asheville.:hmm:

cdisantis83 said:
Speaking of the Pumpkins, has anyone ever listened to Machina II? If so, I would like to hear your comments.

I have, it's basically like a collection of raw, synthy b-sides. There are some great songs, "Let Me Give the World to You" being one, but overall it's pretty lame. Even worse than Machina I.

The preview clip of "Tarantula" sounded like something from Zwan mixed with Siamese Dream, I like that mix.

coemgen said:
Go here: http://www.thepumpkins.net/

Can't say I'm overwhelmed, but I'll give it a few more listens.

Thoughts?

It's an awfully short clip to make a judgement on, but it sounds kind of interesting.

Looks like James and D'Arcy are out. Oh well.

cdisantis83 said:
Speaking of the Pumpkins, has anyone ever listened to Machina II? If so, I would like to hear your comments.

Like LMP says, it's pretty lame. I'm a much bigger fan of Machina I. It's got some pretty redeeming stuff, like Age of Innocence, Wound, and Raindrops + Sunshowers.

I forgot, Stand Inside Your Love from Machina I is one of their best songs ever.

It's the anthem for the real Pumpkins breakup.

thetitans2k said:
Should I start listening to the Smashing Pumpkins? What album would you recomend?

I'd say Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. That's what turned me on to them and it has some of their best known songs.

Adore is lovely, but also rather demanding on the listener. For that reason, I would recommend Siamese Dream, which is probably the most accessible of their albums (and an excellent one at that).

thetitans2k said:
Should I start listening to the Smashing Pumpkins? What album would you recomend?

Siamese Dream is the band at their peak, start there and go in this order:

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - great album, but too daunting for a first-timer. it's like telling someone to listen to The Wall over Dark Side first

Adore - the electronic craziness of the late '90s

Gish - the grungetastic debut

Machina I: The Machines of God - the last official Pumpkins release, there are some very good songs on here (Raindrops and Sunshowers, Wound...) and a few classics (Age of Innocence, Stand Inside Your Love), but it's lukewarm overall.

Then look for Machina II, it's kind of hard.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Siamese Dream is the band at their peak, start there and go in this order:

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - great album, but too daunting for a first-timer. it's like telling someone to listen to The Wall over Dark Side first

Adore - the electronic craziness of the late '90s

Gish - the grungetastic debut

Machina I: The Machines of God - the last official Pumpkins release, there are some very good songs on here (Raindrops and Sunshowers, Wound...) and a few classics (Age of Innocence, Stand Inside Your Love), but it's lukewarm overall.

Then look for Machina II, it's kind of hard.

Pretty much what he said.

"For Martha" off of Adore might be my favorite Pumpkins song, though.

"If you have to go, don't say goodbye.." :drool:

XHendrix24 said:

Pretty much what he said.

"For Martha" off of Adore might be my favorite Pumpkins song, though.

"If you have to go, don't say goodbye.." :drool:

Good call on that one, it's tied with Perfect (1979's little sister) as my favorite off of Adore.

How about Mayonaise off of Siamese Dream? That's their best song no one's heard of.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Good call on that one, it's tied with Perfect (1979's little sister) as my favorite off of Adore.

How about Mayonaise off of Siamese Dream? That's their best song no one's heard of.

Oh God, Mayonaise is definitely up there as well. Definitely my favorite off of Siamese Dream, at least.

And I'm not even sure I could quickly count off all the little gems on Mellon Collie. Besides the obvious hits like 1979 and Tonight, Tonight, a lot of the album tracks on there are really great. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans is an experience.

I don't understand how they can sell this as the Pumpkins reuniting when half the band aren't even involved. How is this any different from Axl taking a bunch of people that had fuck all to do with the original GnR and calling it GnR(other than that the new SP has a chance of being enjoyable anyway while the new GnR does not)?

I'd start with Mellon Collie over Siamese Dream; if you like radio friendly. They were a VERY good singles band too, so seriously you could start with their greatest hits and go from there.

Essential Tracks:

Singles Soundtrack: Drown
Siamese Dream:
Cherub Rock
Today
Disarm
Rocket
Mayonaise
Piscese Escariot: Landslide
Mellon Collie:
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Tonight, Tonight
Zero
Thrirty Three
Galapagos
An Ode To No One
Here Is No Why
Adore: Perfect
Machina: Stand Inside Your Love

Which is pretty much the greatest hits I guess. :shrug:

namkcuR said:
I don't understand how they can sell this as the Pumpkins reuniting when half the band aren't even involved. How is this any different from Axl taking a bunch of people that had fuck all to do with the original GnR and calling it GnR(other than that the new SP has a chance of being enjoyable anyway while the new GnR does not)?

Because like Trent Reznor is to Nine Inch Nails, Billy Corgan is Smashing Pumpkins. He even plays all (most) of the instruments on their albums; though Mellon Collie may be an exception.

Yeah, Adore may be my favorite. I like your list, Screwtape.
Machina is underrated, too. Raindrops + Sunshowers is one of their best songs. And Age of Innocence :drool:

Back
Top Bottom