MERGED ----> New Smashing Pumpkins - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #91
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:25 PM
United States is one of Zeitgeist's stand out tracks.

Albums with a sense of structure

Old 07-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:25 PM
I quite liked the song they performed on Letterman last night but I still haven't decided whether to pick it up (released today)

I went on the Aol page listed above to listen to it but I can't hear anything...

Old 07-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:25 PM
I heard a couple songs off it. Nothing I need to run out and get. A couple of the songs had a slight Siamese Dream-y sound to them, which made me happy, but still . . . .

For me, I'm not talking about everyone else, but for me Smashing Pumpkins had their day in the sun. And that sun set a long time ago.

I wish them well, but I don't think I'll be following them on their new adventures.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #94
Blue Crack Distributor

I bought tickets to see them, but don't think I'll be picking up the new album.

I saw the Letterman performance, too, and it was decent, but nothing I have to rush out and get.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:25 PM
In Vancouver, SP is performing the same night as Amy Winehouse. What makes this even more enfuriating is that SP has 4 spare days around the show here.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #96
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter
In Vancouver, SP is performing the same night as Amy Winehouse. What makes this even more enfuriating is that SP has 4 spare days around the show here.
That's if Amy Winehouse actually turns up. In the UK bookies have officially started taking bets whether or not she will show up for her concerts.

http://www.nme.com/news/29654

Bookies taking bets on whether Amy Winehouse turns up to gigs
Punters can have flutter on Eden Project gig appearence

Bookmakers William Hill are offering 1/2 odds on Amy Winehouse not turning up to her next gig, scheduled to be Tuesday's (July 17) Eden Sessions show at The Eden Project in Cornwall.

The odds offer comes after Winehouse cancelled her scheduled appearances at last weekend's T In The Park and Oxegen festivals, and was photographed drinking in her local pub despite citing "exhaustion" as the reason for her cancellation.

"Amy has cancelled too many gigs for us not to give out odds," a spokesperson for William Hill said. "The concert is next week so she'll have to sort herself out for that and I can't see it happening."

See next week's NME for an in-depth look at what's going on in Winehouse's world.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I was thinking of selling my Amy tickets for over face value and then leaving the scalpers high and dry when she no-shows.

Seriously, Vancouver is the next show after San Fran/LA so they may have her on tight reigns then.

What I'm most wondering about is what the Pumpkins will do in the 4 days off they have around Vancouver.

u2fp
Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:55 PM
After listening to Zeitgeist regularly for about a week now, I can definitively say it's a great album, but it's a sightly-qualified great.

The things that make it work are the political themes and Jimmy's drumming, which is completely fantastic. It seems like he's been pushed up in the mix for many of the songs, and in moments, he really drives the otherwise-ordinary into something special. To me, the album is a perfect example of just how integral he his to the band...and how his ability often reigns in Billy's lyrical flightiness. Without Jimmy, this band is just a book of bad poetry.

Doomsday Clock and 7 Shades of Black are straight-ahead Pumpkins songs in the finest tradition--nothing revolutionary, but, lyrically, completely relevant. I love them for that. That's the Way (my Love is) really reminds me of U2, for some strange reason. Tarantula is great as a single, but it actually seems out of place on the album. On the other hand, United States is completely epic, and makes the album for me. Like LMP says, it really is a standout track. It's full of venom, and just laced with political commentary. I only wish Billy had recorded it using the full-blown Star-Spangled Banner guitar part he played during Live Earth. After hearing that version, you can pick out hints of him going there on the album...only to sadly taper off.

For God and Country is another great socio-political song. Starz, likewise. Two of the songs--Neverlost and Bring the Light--actually feel as if they were recorded years ago from leftovers. Good songs, but a little routine.

Overall, it's a strong return for the Pumpkins...politically, they've got it more than ever. Musically, they're riding a bit on previous accomplishments. That's what Zeitgeist is: older, wiser, and world-weary musicians (well, at least Billy and Jimmy) playing the same way they've always played. On a certain level, it's actually a pretty interesting mix. A strong argument can be made for this being their most important album to date. The element that's missing however, is the combination recipe of euphoria and abject darkness...the magic. It's more of a plateau this time around, but nonetheless still smashing.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 PM   #99
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:25 PM
I really love your review AOD, it's nearly spot-on.

My only disagreement is on Tarantula. To me, it's the most important song on the album, it's the comeback single, it's the song that let the world know that the Pumpkins were back, Jack (well... atleast Billy and Jimmy.)

I love Adore and Machina I, they're fine albums, but Tarantula rocks almost as hard as stuff on Siamese Dream, my favorite Pumpkins album. Like others have said in this thread, it brims with confidence. I don't think The Pumpkins aren't back for contrived, one-off, studio-pushed reunion, but this new incarnation is here to stay.

And LMP abides.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I really love your review AOD, it's nearly spot-on.

My only disagreement is on Tarantula. To me, it's the most important song on the album, it's the comeback single, it's the song that let the world know that the Pumpkins were back, Jack (well... atleast Billy and Jimmy.)
Thanks

I think you're right about Tarantula being the most important song--strategically, at least. It really is the comeback single, almost akin to Beautiful Day for U2, on less mammoth scale. I think it's just the placing of it for me...seems a little jarring. Maybe it should be the very first song.

As you said, the album definitely brims with confidence. I love it to pieces, actually. The greatest albums are the ones that continue to evolve as you peel back the layers. Zeitgeist is extremely mature...I think I'm still catching up with it
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Rolling Stone gave it 4 stars. I'm actually surprised.

Especially considering they gave Siamese Dream 3.5 stars.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Rolling Stone gave it 4 stars. I'm actually surprised.

Especially considering they gave Siamese Dream 3.5 stars.
Yeah, it is strange. 4 stars is one away from "Classic," by their definition. I wonder what they gave Mellon Collie? It's not listed on the website.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I completely agree about the maturity of this record. The Pumpkins were very much in the same position as U2 with ATYCLB. I much prefer the approach the Pumpkins have taken. ATYCLB sounded like a band trying to capture old artistic glory. With Zeitgeist it seems the opposite. The new album has a distinct sound that features better arrangement and musical ability than the past albums. The band had to know they wouldn't make an album like Mellon Collie or Adore. Nothing seems forced or like a bad attempt to reclaim the past. That is what makes Zeitgeist so good. It is original and new but clearly the Smashing Pumpkins.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

Yeah, it is strange. 4 stars is one away from "Classic," by their definition. I wonder what they gave Mellon Collie? It's not listed on the website.
It's not on the Web site, but I'm almost positive I remember them giving it four stars back in the day. I remember when that album came out
Old 11-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #105
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:25 PM
Okay now I'm glad I got it. The songs are growing on me and watching the dvd from the latest re-issue only made things more interesting for me. Tarantula, United States, That's The Way, Doomsday Clock, 7 Shades Of Black, Bleeding The Orchid all sound awesome! Still haven't really paid attention to the lyrics as I can't understand what Billy is singing half the time anyway! But I'm gonna look up the lyrics next time I'm listening. Only thing I miss is the dreamy psychedelic quality of Siamese... those soft intros, outros and breaks like on Mayonaise, Hummer or Soma. It was the perfect mix of "rock the fuck out" and mellow. But then again, it may have sounded like a total repeat of Siamese I guess. So, bottom line is I think this is a great comeback! Jimmy friggin rocks! And Billy sounds as good as ever!

Now I have to go get Adore and Gish, probably in that order. Comparisons to U2's Pop and mentions of electronic music are too tempting for me to not get Adore first!