MERGED ----> New Smashing Pumpkins - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

It's definitely up there, but I love Mayonaise more. The entire Singles soundtrack is something else. You can always count on Cameron Crowe's film's soundtracks to kick ass.
Definately. I bought the soundtrack the day it came out because I was a huge Replacements/Paul Westerberg fan; and the soundtrack is Pauls first solo work. Imagine my surprise in discovering Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden & Screeming Trees as well (Pearl Jam I already knew). Iconic album.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

I can see why Adore didn't explode, whenever a band stops producing their own sound and decided to encorporate contemporary dance music, the album seems to fail (hmmm, I wonder where I could find another example of this).

Another thing I was thinking of; Billy never names the song after the chorus. I keep trying to remember if I liked a song or not; scanning the track list was no help. The hook in I In The Mourning is "Radio, Radio". I couldn't remember the name of the damn song. Now had it been named Radio or Radio Radio it may have been easier.
I don't understand the dance or electronic argument because half the songs on Adore don't have either of those elements. Adore is sort of like Achtung Baby in that sense. I also find it interesting you'd say that they stop producing their own sound because most of Adore sounds like Mellon Collie and Pisces Iscariot.

However, I do agree that Billy's song titles probably affect the radio success of a song. That said, I love his titles.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #48
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

I don't understand the dance or electronic argument because half the songs on Adore don't have either of those elements. Adore is sort of like Achtung Baby in that sense. I also find it interesting you'd say that they stop producing their own sound because most of Adore sounds like Mellon Collie and Pisces Iscariot.

However, I do agree that Billy's song titles probably affect the radio success of a song. That said, I love his titles.
I'd say that the songs on Mellon Collie that sound like the Adore stuff were the ones at the back of their respective disks and weren't single worthy. I thought 99% of Adore sounded electronica to me; and that's not taking away from it artistically; that's me trying to explain it's lack of success. Electronica dance beats and rock just don't mix well for the masses consistently.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

I'd say that the songs on Mellon Collie that sound like the Adore stuff were the ones at the back of their respective disks and weren't single worthy. I thought 99% of Adore sounded electronica to me; and that's not taking away from it artistically; that's me trying to explain it's lack of success. Electronica dance beats and rock just don't mix well for the masses consistently.
99%? Wow. I think a lot of people assumed the entire album sounded like Ava Adore and that brought sales down. So I think it's sales were based on an incorrect guess at the album's sound more than from people not liking dance elements in rock. I think if they released a different single it would have sold better.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:

I can see why Adore didn't explode, whenever a band stops producing their own sound and decided to encorporate contemporary dance music, the album seems to fail (hmmm, I wonder where I could find another example of this).
Yes, it could very well be their Pop Both albums are rather dark, bleak, and overwhelmingly misunderstood. Sometimes great art doesn't equate with great profit.

Quote:

I The Mourning is good too as is This Time but my fav may be The Imploding Voice. Should have been the lead off single.
To me, This Time is the definitive song of the Pumpkins' demise:

...Some day we'll wave hello, and wish we'd never waved goodbye to this romance...We'll drink up every line and shoot up every word, till there's no more...

Old 05-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The FULL version of Tarantula!!

It's better than the clip, which didn't reveal much.

http://www.thepumpkins.net/
Old 05-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It gets very Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie toward the end.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #53
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
The FULL version of Tarantula!!

It's better than the clip, which didn't reveal much.

http://www.thepumpkins.net/
Good stuff!! Funny but the most Pumpkinesque part of that song for me is the D'arcy-less bass! Love the chorus.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #54
Refugee

Eh, jury's still out on this one as far as I'm concerned. Didn't really knock me on my ass or anything like I was hoping it might, and it CERTAINLY doesn't sound like a "first single" type of song. Sounds more like Billy trying to prove to everyone that he can still play guitar or something.

I think it might grow on me, though. I'm liking it a little more with each listen, I think.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yeah, I'm liking it more with each listen, too. I was hoping for something like "Zero," "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" or "Everlasting Gaze." This is heavy, but more pop rock than kick-your-teeth-in rock. Plus, the song structure is a bit all over the place. I'm still trying to figure it out. I think it will become clearer after a few 100 more listens.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:

Good stuff!! Funny but the most Pumpkinesque part of that song for me is the D'arcy-less bass!
D'arcy was largely absent from the original studio recordings. Billy played bass back in the day and likely on this new song.

u2fp
Old 05-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Not too bad but knowing the Pumpkins the rest of the album won't sound anything like this.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #58
Refugee

that's fucking great!
it's like evil queen.
thanks for that. it's gonna be a great record.
and people are gonna hate it.
sweet.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #59
Refugee

holyfuckingshit!
i just got this off the band's myspace site - from the blog regarding the album's artwork.

AND I QUOTE:

"The illustration derives strength from the usage of the color red. Explains Fairey: "I use red frequently because it is a visually powerful, emotionally potent color. Red gets people's attention. In this case there is the added possibility that the red liquid could be blood, giving it an even more sinister sense of foreboding. Red helps people to realize immediately that something is wrong and the image is not a soothing postcard."

When that dude starts talking about blood, i just about shat myself...
Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Now they have a high-quality version of the song at www.thepumpkins.net