MERGED-->New Battlestar Galactica + the most politically... - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #406
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

I've seen a few episodes, but I always end up forgetting when they're on. It's a fun show.
Torchwood is even better when you know where Capt. Jack came from, as he was introduced in the first season of New Who.

Have you seen all of Torchwood Season One? It would suck to see the finale without the end of New Who season 1, which is a nice set-up to what happens.

DW is usually more tongue-in-cheek, but at its darkest it rivals the tone of TW.

Episodes from the new seasons I'd recommend:

S1:
The Unquiet Dead
Father's Day
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (2 parter)
Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways (2 Parter that shows the last of Jack before Torchwood)

S2:
School Reunion
The Girl in the Fireplace
The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit (2 parter)
Army of Ghosts/Doomsday (2 parter)

S3:
Gridlock
The Lazarus Experiment (no relation )
Human Nature/The Family of Blood (2 parter)
Blink
Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords (3 parter featuring Capt. Jack's return)

Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #407
Blue Crack Supplier

If I only knew you well enough to determine your real intentions. You'd think meeting people in person, talking to them, etc, would be the thing that allows you to actually know people.....Wait, reading a few of your posts ought to suffice, screw it.

Consider me your acolyte.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #408
Blue Crack Supplier

Lazarus, did you read the Earthsea novels?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #409
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Torchwood is even better when you know where Capt. Jack came from, as he was introduced in the first season of New Who.

Have you seen all of Torchwood Season One? It would suck to see the finale without the end of New Who season 1, which is a nice set-up to what happens.

DW is usually more tongue-in-cheek, but at its darkest it rivals the tone of TW.

Episodes from the new seasons I'd recommend:

S1:
The Unquiet Dead
Father's Day
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (2 parter)
Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways (2 Parter that shows the last of Jack before Torchwood)

S2:
School Reunion
The Girl in the Fireplace
The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit (2 parter)
Army of Ghosts/Doomsday (2 parter)

S3:
Gridlock
The Lazarus Experiment (no relation )
Human Nature/The Family of Blood (2 parter)
Blink
Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords (3 parter featuring Capt. Jack's return)
Awesome, I'll check those out after I catch up on Heroes and Always Sunny. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #410
Blue Crack Supplier

LMP's list of things to watch, read, do, etc, is insanely long, thanks to interference. Aren't you glad that you belong to an internet community, you little bastard?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #411
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Lazarus, did you read the Earthsea novels?
I bought the first one way back in high school but never read it, though I've recently become interested in LeGuin after seeing Miyazaki Jr.'s adaptation of Earthsea, which I thought was actually very good (apparently it wasn't received very well). I recently acquired the rest of the trilogy and her award-winning classic The Left Hand of Darkness, so I should be caught up soon.

Did you see the anime? It's not available in the U.S. yet because Sci-Fi still has the rights until 2009 or something (another reason to hate them), but I managed to find a download with passable (but often laughable) English subtitles.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #412
Blue Crack Supplier

I did not see the anime, but, want to.

The Left Hand of Darkness is a special book, in or out of genre.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #413
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:25 PM
This doesn't sound very promising...

Quote:
Losing battle

’Razor’ just won’t cut it for ’Galactica’ fans
By Mark A. Perigard

Monday, November 12, 2007

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: RAZOR: C+

"Battlestar Galactica: Razor" plants a wet kiss on its most-devoted fans -- and turns a cold shoulder to everyone else.

The 90-minute film, which gets special screenings tonight at select theaters across the country (fans had to preregister on the Web for the free showings, and the Boston-area screenings are filled), is a mash of flashbacks within flashbacks.

Devoted fans will soak up the back story on Galactus rival ship Pegasus, her tyrannical commander Admiral Cain (Michelle Forbes) and the early adventures of young Adama (Nico Cortez) during the first Cylon war some decades earlier.

Newcomers will be lost in space. Even casual viewers will wonder: What the frak is going on?

"Razor" opens some time in the past with Lee Apollo Adama (Jamie Bamber) assuming command of the battle-scarred Pegasus and confronting an insubordinate officer, Lt. Kendra Shaw (Stephanie Jacobsen).

Flashbacks cut to Shaw’s first moments on the Pegasus just as the Cylons launched their attack on the colonies. In the wake of the devastation, Cain vows revenge. As Shaw advances within Cain’s inner circle, Cain demonstrates her ruthlessness on friend and foe alike. Shaw accepts Cain’s methods, even though her service takes an ugly emotional toll.

Meanwhile, Apollo’s search and rescue mission takes a deadly turn when the Pegasus comes across an old Cylon base guarding a project that raises painful memories for Apollo’s father, Admiral William Adama (Edward James Olmos). With Shaw and Starbuck (Katee Sackhoff) trapped and under fire from centurions (the original metal Cylons from the ’70s series), Apollo orders a nuclear strike.

"Razor" stretches its tiny cable budget to produce some effective special effects. The shots of Cylon ships swooping in like hawks to blast the fleet are impressively frightening.

But the story is so dark and convoluted, the emotional territory so familiar, it reinforces "Battlestar’s" reputation as the Sylvia Plath of science fiction.

"Razor’s" final moments offer an ominous hint about one major character that will have repercussions in "Battlestar’s" final season, set to begin airing in April. That slim payoff will satisfy only die-hard fans.

Sneak previews Monday night at Regal Fenway Stadium and AMC Framingham.

Airs on the Sci Fi Channel Nov. 24.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #414
Blue Crack Supplier

Sounds promising to me; dark, emotional, and not for casual fans are all positives where I'm concerned.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #415
Blue Crack Addict

It's the convoluted part that worries me. Hopefully this guy has no clue (and since it's the Boston Herald, that could very well be).
Old 11-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #416
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I like what I read.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:50 AM   #417
Refugee

I'm avoiding reviews because I don't want to know anything. I wish I didn't even know the basic cast. I love going in ignorant and then being surprised! IGN gave it a 9 out of 10. Michael Taylor wrote it and is a great writer. What could have happened is Felix Alcala messed it up because the entire cast hated him (and I hated his work on the rushed "Exodus") because he never considered their feelings about character and just had them shoot quickly. Ron Moore made a huge mistake because Lee Adama, Helo and other actors really seemed to detest him in the roundtable podcast from November 2006!
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
The TV industry has to face facts and come to grip with the facts that more and more people watch television shows in other formats than in "real time" on their TVs.

If they don't, they'll end up looking like the record companies, refusing to accept the fact that technology is changing things, and they need to get with the times.
Ron Moore has said this, and it's all fine and dandy to say this, but we suffer if the shows we love aren't financially supported either through our watching them live or buying the DVDs. Illegal downloading with no intent to purchase is the death of great art! Often people download, and then say, "I'll get it later." Then the show gets cancelled and people are upset. We have to do our part! It's much more likely that companies will resort to more commercial and obvious common-denominator TV in the absense of easy ratings. So, in the short-run (and that's all I give a darn about), we lose if we're stubborn.
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Why should I watch this show on Sci-Fi instead of downloading it? Fuck them. They have no respect for the fans, and don't deserve the viewership. I don't think it's going to affect the future of the show, as it still does better than most of what's on there anyway, and the DVDs sell well (I own both Season Two boxed sets).
The basic issue is that the ratings have to be high enough to allow Sci Fi to get the advertizing revenue to pay for the show. If you have a Nielsen's box, and aren't watching the show live, you're not doing your part to keep the show on the air, and are actually the reason it's being ended early.

Downloading without any recompense for the effort that went into creating the art is stealing. If people buy the DVDs that's fair, but if people download, don't watch it on air if they have a Nielsen box and don't pay for the DVDs through purchase or rental, they're the reason the show is coming to an end.

Unlke rock bands that don't need much money to continue to create art, TV shows need vast amounts of cash. Fans who aren't willing to do their part are just shooting themselves and the rest of us fans in the foot.

So Sci Fi isn't perfect. So what? It's a hell of a lot better than the major networks which would never have allowed this show to be so politically-insightful or challenging. Ron Moore has never been censored by the network, while Ira Steven Behr is constantly censored by USA on The 4400.

I hated Fox, but they showed The X-Files and Millennium, so I did my part. People have to do their part, and part of that will be to please buy the Razor DVD if you want more TV movies because Universal put up the money, not Sci Fi, and Ron Moore says there's a limited time after the series ends during which the sets are available to produce more. Or, if you've never seen the show, this is a chance to check it out to see if you like it.

I don't know about you, but I'd love to see more of what happened on New Caprica or more dramatic stories and less action-driven stuff.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #418
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Wasn't it up to the creators of the show to end it while Sci-Fi doesn't want to let it die?

So you want to prolong the ending or what? I don't get it.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #419
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

No, no, it wasn't up to the creators. It was because the fans Tivo'd it instead of clearing their schedule to sit down for an hour every week (regardless of their schedules) and watch the tv show complete with commercials. It's also because we haven't gobbled up everything BSG in consumer goods that the show is being cancelled.

Had you all not been so greedy and just bought everything available and sat down at the scheduled time, maybe this show wouldn't be doomed. Your duty as a fan is to do everything possible to make sure the show continues, and quite obviously you've failed.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #420
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

This was supposed to change the world and we've all failed.

Now Ted's going to that military school in Alaska. Thanks, guys.