MERGED-->New Battlestar Galactica + the most politically... - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #316
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:52 PM
I just finished the last episode of Season 2

When will Season 3 start reruns? And is it important for me to see the webisodes?

Old 03-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #317
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 10:52 PM
I don't know about the reruns. Tonight is the season finale, I believe.

The webisodes fill you in on life in New Caprica and the resistance. They more or less center on two of the periphery character - Duck and Jammer. They're kinda cool, they were good filler while the show was off the air. I don't think you'll miss anything in season 3 if you miss them though, other than a reference here and there.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #318
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Alright, sounds good.

I'll wait until the Season 3 DVDs if they aren't reran after the finale.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #319
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 11:52 PM
FRAK!

2008 needs to be here NOW. I'm so frustrated...
Old 03-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #320
Blue Crack Addict

Holy frackin' shit.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:46 AM   #321
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Deep Space Nine was indeed a dirtier, grittier Star Trek (Bablyon 5 is the same way), but I think Moore's work on TNG was just as good.
He doesn't, and I tend to agree, as I've rewatched the eps since my pre-teen and teen years. I really think he grew as a writer, in part because Ira Behr let him do more of what he wanted. He's talked a lot about his disagreements on TNG. TNG's characters just didn't develop much, beyond Picard and Data, and the drama was mostly about the Enterprise crew sorting out the troubles of petty alien races, so the view always believed petty people had conflicts, not human beings, and it's hard to make people think about their lives and the world they affect, if the show is always telling them problems are caused by others (including some renegade Star Fleet guy), not us. I've felt this about DS9, which wasn't nearly as ambitious as BSG, before I heard Ron Moore express these feelings.

I've pasted the link to the pages in which Ron discusses working on DS9 and Rick Berman's interference. Just click on the other pages at the bottom to pick any of the other 18 pages. Ira Behr sounds like such a nice guy!

http://movies.ign.com/articles/444/444306p8.html

Here's another from back when Cinescape was actually a quality website. It's an interview with Ron Moore from January 2000, in which Ron discusses Star Trek and mostly points out the problems with how Voyager was written.

Part 1:
http://www.mania.com/18708.html
Part 2:
http://www.mania.com/18741.html
Part 3:
http://www.mania.com/18843.html
Part 4:
http://www.mania.com/18860.html
Part 5:
http://www.mania.com/18949.html
Part 6:
http://www.mania.com/18971.html
Part 7:
http://www.mania.com/18998.html
Old 03-26-2007, 02:49 AM   #322
Refugee

Anway, regarding the finale, not to rain on anyone's parade, since I love the show, I liked some of the plot, but I was a bit disappointed in the focus on the whole music thing and some of the lack of texture. There should have been more dialogue and much more of the trial, which made the previous 2 eps so great to me. This dragged a bit. Also, the use of "All Along the Watchtower" was odd. I still have to rewatch the ep, but my immediate reaction was annoyance, especially since they didn't use the original, and I thought it made things look cheesy. However, maybe the use of a cover is to hide the time period of Earth, though I'm not sure that was the intended effect. Also, it made things sound cheesy, as though it were composed by a no-name band for TV.

The things I loved: the very end, Lee's great speech that was not only dramatically enjoyable and tied much of the season's theme of the politics of collaboration, but was true to life and how we approach justice in our own world. Stuff like this is what puts this so far beyond "Lost," whose dramatic motivations feel contrived somehow. One of the things that makes this show so great is the ability to find new themes. There's so much the writers are able to find to talk about -- and the source of the real world sounds so simple, but it's brilliant and difficult. This season has made a step up to me from last in one aspect: providing Lee and Tyrol with more drama, which was often sacrificed to give Starbuck more time, I think.

In terms of the finale, I just wanted much more of the trial. I felt the focus was off for a finale, especially when "Lay Down Your Burdens" ranked with "Pegasus" as the most dramatically-satisfying as well as politically-insightful story to date. I think a lot of this season's weakness might have something to do with Ron Moore not writing these stories from scratch. He only wrote 2 eps. They began the season and those were the absolute best. Otherwise, he does a rewrite and I'm not sure he puts as much effort into it. That's what I think Exodus lacked in its rushed plot, which are typical of Weddle and Thompson -- the worst writers on DS9. I think once Ron Moore starts personally writing eps again, the magic will come back. Just take a look at how amazing a Season One ep like "Water" or "Kobol's Last Gleaming" were. They have so much in their execution of the plot that it transcends what others might do. Then again, arguably the best eps of the series, "Pegasus" and "Lay Down Your Burdens Part 2" were initially written by Anne Coffell Saunders and the latter cowritted by Mark Verheiden, who wrote this season's 2-parter. Also, most of Season One was written by others but consistently acheieved near perfection. Maybe the magic of those 2 eps and most of Season One came from Ron Moore's rewrite and he just didn't do it to my satisfaction this time. Maybe Verheiden's magic was off. Maybe I'll think differently when I rewatch the ep.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:58 AM   #323

Brilliance. That was awesome. That ending was just amazing, totally didn't see it coming.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #324

So Starbuck - Cylon? Or Something else all together? Same for the others - are they really Cylons, or do they really just dig Bob Dylan?

Poor Ceelix.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #325
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld
Anway, regarding the finale, not to rain on anyone's parade, since I love the show, I liked some of the plot, but I was a bit disappointed in the focus on the whole music thing and some of the lack of texture. There should have been more dialogue and much more of the trial, which made the previous 2 eps so great to me. This dragged a bit. Also, the use of "All Along the Watchtower" was odd. I still have to rewatch the ep, but my immediate reaction was annoyance, especially since they didn't use the original, and I thought it made things look cheesy. However, maybe the use of a cover is to hide the time period of Earth, though I'm not sure that was the intended effect. Also, it made things sound cheesy, as though it were composed by a no-name band for TV.

The things I loved: the very end, Lee's great speech that was not only dramatically enjoyable and tied much of the season's theme of the politics of collaboration, but was true to life and how we approach justice in our own world. Stuff like this is what puts this so far beyond "Lost," whose dramatic motivations feel contrived somehow. One of the things that makes this show so great is the ability to find new themes. There's so much the writers are able to find to talk about -- and the source of the real world sounds so simple, but it's brilliant and difficult. This season has made a step up to me from last in one aspect: providing Lee and Tyrol with more drama, which was often sacrificed to give Starbuck more time, I think.

In terms of the finale, I just wanted much more of the trial. I felt the focus was off for a finale, especially when "Lay Down Your Burdens" ranked with "Pegasus" as the most dramatically-satisfying as well as politically-insightful story to date. I think a lot of this season's weakness might have something to do with Ron Moore not writing these stories from scratch. He only wrote 2 eps. They began the season and those were the absolute best. Otherwise, he does a rewrite and I'm not sure he puts as much effort into it. That's what I think Exodus lacked in its rushed plot, which are typical of Weddle and Thompson -- the worst writers on DS9. I think once Ron Moore starts personally writing eps again, the magic will come back. Just take a look at how amazing a Season One ep like "Water" or "Kobol's Last Gleaming" were. They have so much in their execution of the plot that it transcends what others might do. Then again, arguably the best eps of the series, "Pegasus" and "Lay Down Your Burdens Part 2" were initially written by Anne Coffell Saunders and the latter cowritted by Mark Verheiden, who wrote this season's 2-parter. Also, most of Season One was written by others but consistently acheieved near perfection. Maybe the magic of those 2 eps and most of Season One came from Ron Moore's rewrite and he just didn't do it to my satisfaction this time. Maybe Verheiden's magic was off. Maybe I'll think differently when I rewatch the ep.
I have to disagree here on a couple of points.

The trial story arc was already intertwined with the mysterious music in the last episode, so of course that was going to continue here. I like how the trial ended and that it showed how Baltar might be even more vulnerable than ever, and what his future may hold. And the trial itself was very well done - you can't get much better dialogue than the part with Lee Adama on the stand.

As for the music, yes, it seemed a bit strange at first that the song was All Along The Watchtower, but in the end, it worked because the music in this version was absolutely riveting with what was going on. If anything, if they had used the original version, it would have been real cheesy then. In this case, how the music blended in with the scenes added even more drama to what was going on, especially at the end.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #326
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
So Starbuck - Cylon? Or Something else all together? Same for the others - are they really Cylons, or do they really just dig Bob Dylan?

Poor Ceelix.
I've been wrestling with this since the show ended.

It's obvious that they are the Final Five, but who is the fifth? Surely, if they all heard the music, the last one would have as well. Unless the last one wasn't around to hear it, which in this case would point to Starbuck.

But is Starbuck really a Cylon, or the Chosen One, or a combination of both?

Or is the last one someone other than Starbuck? Perhaps it's a person who we thought was already dead, thus not being in the fleet anymore, yet could still be downloaded into a new body. If that's the case, who would it be?

Remember D'Anna's reaction when she saw one of them? Would that reaction have come from seeing one of the four we know now? I don't believe so. This also makes me wonder if Starbuck really is the fifth one. I'm thinking she's not - that she really is the Chosen One and that's it. It's gotta be someone else.

Also, this means that Chief and Cally's baby is now the second Human/Cylon hybrid alive.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #327

Yeah, I was thinking about Chief's and Cally's ( ) kid. Nicolas (?). I'm still not 100% convinced that they are Cylons. I was thinking that Tighe is too old, no? He's known Adama 30-40 years. Unless of course - Adama is one too. But he too seems too old. So many questions. And now we have to wait a year.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #328
Blue Crack Addict

I agree about Tigh's age. I thought the Final Five all happened at the same time, so wouldn't they all be about the same age?

But I'm pretty sure they are Cylons - we'll just need more information to find out how they came to be the way they are.

Of course, we won't get that until January!
Old 03-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #329
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Isn't their going to be a direct to DVD Galactica movie before Season 4 is released?

*covers eyes from Season 3 talk*
Old 03-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #330

Really? That would be cool. I haven't heard anything about it though.