MERGED: Neil Young

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
Neil Young treated for aneurysm

On eonline.com

Neil Young may have a heart of gold, but his head hasn't been doing so good.

The legendary rocker was treated for a brain aneurysm Tuesday in New York, his publicist said Friday.

Although Young remains hospitalized at New York's Weill Cornell Medical Center, he is expected to make a full recovery. Doctors who performed surgeries on the "Heart of Gold" singer are optimistic he'll be back to normal soon.

"Mr. Young had a dangerous brain aneurysm and was treated successfully by the minimally invasive neuroradiology team here. He is now resting comfortably...but we strongly recommend that he not travel for several days," Dr. Pierre Gobin, one of the doctors who performed the delicate surgery, told the Associated Press Friday.

Although the most common symptom of a brain aneurysm is a severe headache, the 59-year-old first became aware of a potential problem when his vision became blurry during the March 14 induction ceremonies for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Young's publicist, Jim Merlis, told AP.

Although brain aneurysms can occur at any age, they are more common in adults.

Young is expected to remain hospitalized for at least the weekend for observation. Merlis told AP Friday that his client has "got to take it easy."

The iconic multi-instrumentalist had been scheduled to head to Winnipeg Sunday for Canada's Juno Awards.

While Young will not be able to perform, or even attend the ceremony, he still managed to squeeze in a few nice words about his former hometown (although Young was born in Toronto, he was raised in Winnipeg).

"I'm really disappointed that I won't be able to make it to Winnipeg for the Junos as I had hoped," Young said in a statement Friday.

"I grew up there and was really looking forward to the show as well as spending some time with my old friends and family."

Luckily for Young, he may have another chance to visit after heading off a potentially deadly condition.

"Thanks to my doctors, I'm feeling a lot better now so I hope I can get a rain check," he said Friday.

I saw that too. Looks as if he should be fine though. So glad it was caught before it burst. Neil is wonderfully cool -- I'm glad he'll be around for a while longer.

that SUCKS.

he was the only reason i wanted to watch the junos.

oh well, at least he should be alright.

That was frightening. He is the one musician I follow closely.

Neil Young!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if anyone has heard this but...Neil Young has had to undergo brain surgery for a brain anyerism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God he's made it through and is expected to have a FULL RECOVERY!!!!!!!!!! I'm from Winnipeg, Canada and we were looking forward to having him here for the Juno Awards this weekend. Everyone's bummed out but the main thing we care about is Neil's health so the good news is he's going to make it through. Prayers and thoughts for Neil please. Thanks.

That's too bad, Harry Vest. I heard he would only do the Juno awards if they were held in Winnipeg cause it's home to him. I wish him all the best. He is my favorite musician in the whole world. Prognosis sounds encouraging. Looking forward to him being around FOREVER!!!

I saw that. So good it was caught and fixed. Neil is just about as cool as they come.

Moonlit_Angel said:
What the hell is it with musicians and aneurysms? I've heard quite a few stories of musicians who've had those. Freaky...

well, I definitely don't want to make any assumptions about Niel's case since I don't know much about his *erm* lifestyle. But I do know that many (most?) aneurysms are caused by heavy drinking. I'm not sure if drug use can also be a factor, but I wouldn't be surprised. So it's not surprising that many musicians have suffered aneuryms, since many of them do seem to lead a less than 'clean' lifestyle, and all.

not saying that's necessarily what caused his, and in any case I'm glad he's okay.

Back
Top Bottom