MERGED ----> Need some money? + SaveKaryn.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SaveKaryn.com

From Salon.com:

In June of this year, Karyn Bosnak bounced a $59 check at a grocery store. She was officially broke -- unable to scrape up enough cash to get to work. Karyn looked rich: She was a television producer, earned $900 a week, and lived in a stylish apartment in Brooklyn with a closetful of Gucci and Louis Vuitton. But she also had a $20,221.40 credit card bill (thanks mainly to the aforementioned Gucci), an empty savings account, and now, the fee for a bounced check.

That night, Karyn decided that it was time for a change. So she did what any 29-year-old, marketing-savvy woman might do if she had $20,221.40 in debt and no easy way to pay it back: She built a Web site, and simply asked people to help her out by sending her a buck or two.

Four months later, Karyn Bosnak is the world's most successful Internet panhandler: At last count, she had paid off nearly $17,000 of her debt, thanks to donations of $1 to $1,000 from the thousands of strangers who have taken pity on her. Her Web site, SaveKaryn.com, has been visited by more than a million people; she's been featured on the "Today" show and in People magazine; she's been offered a book deal and a movie contract. Life is suddenly looking up for a woman who, just months ago, was "depressed and freaked out" by her financial straits.

So, the moral of the story is, if you have absolutely no knowledge of how to handle yourself financially, come up with a dumbass gimmick and pander to the masses. Are we supposed to empathize with someone who thinks that $900/mo, or about $47000 per year is enough to treat yourself to all sorts of Gucci and Louis Vuitton? I really can't understand why people are head over heels trying to help this woman. It's not like she is the victim of circumstances beyond her control. She just can't figure out how to live within her means. And apparently her ignorance will allow her to come out on top. Am I missing something completely here? Really makes me wonder just how gullible people are.

Have ya seen the "Need some money?" thread here in Lemonade Stand? There are alot of comments about this site........

Personally, I think it's a free country, do what you like......

They're congratulating her resourcefulness, not her greed. Still, there is something wrong with it all, of course. What a Forrest Gump.

foray

She was offered a book deal and a movie contract?!?!??!?!

With all of the kick ass "One time" stories I have, I find myself wondering where the hell MY book deal and movie contract is!!!!!!!! :D

Wow, she has a pretty healthy sense of entitlement, doesn't she? How about she get up off her ass, take her Gucci and Prada to a consignment store, move into a cheaper apartment with a roommate and live within her means...oh, and she could take a second job like the rest of do when we're broke.

I don't think she's creative at all...I think she's lazy. And what are the people who are donating money actually "saving Karyn" from? Her own compulsive shopping habits? Hard work? Personal responsiblity?

:eyebrow:

She ls Raging said:
I may get flamed for this....

I'm not saying it's necessarily right , and I think that it's kind of bold of her for doing this, publicly asking for handouts but....

People DONT HAVE TO send her money. The fact that they chose to send it to her rather than somewhere else is their problem.

I just hope that she has the decency to give something back once her debt is paid off.
I agree w Ms. Raging..

I owe 30,000 in C/C debt and only make a little more than half what she makes.
My dad raised us not to be mooches.
Even though shes a mooch..she is clever.
You have to give her credit for that:up::yes:

I will pay my own bills however.:)

DB9
:dance:

Bono's American Wife said:
How about she get up off her ass, take her Gucci and Prada to a consignment store

Actually I have read the web site. She is selling her stuff. Mostly on ebay.

I don't believe this...Here I am, trying to find a job, put food on the table for me and my girl, and she's on tv, gets offered a movie contract, a book deal...this ruined my day.

Thou shall not envy;)

The fact that we r concern w a creative mooch we all need our heads examined..

Dave

I agree with pretty much everything said already.

But.. am I the only one who is wondering why they'd think the public would want to see a movie based this? :huh:

diamond said:
The fact that we r concern w a creative mooch we all need our heads examined..

Creative? What's creative about what she's doing? Begging for money is an art that's been around for a while. And doing it on the internet is nothing new either. Most of the sites listed here are older than Karyn's.

Call her bold if you want, call her a skilled panhandler, but I don't think creative is right word.

hmm....who wants to be the first Interferencer to be debt free with a job? If someone has the web skills, I have the writing skills, maybe some PR skills. I think we should try and see how famous we can become. Hell, we could do this for the Interference site. maybe talk to Elvis about creating save.interference.com and go from there. this could work.

diamond said:

I agree w Ms. Raging..

I owe 30,000 in C/C debt and only make a little more than half what she makes.
My dad raised us not to be mooches.
Even though shes a mooch..she is clever.
You have to give her credit for that:up::yes:

I will pay my own bills however.:)

DB9

But is she clever enough to keep the IRS from wanting their share of the $17,000 in "donations" she has received so far?

Lets see here...$43,000 per year salary plus $17,000 in donations equals $104,000. Welcome to the 32% tax bracket Karyn :wave:

Bono's American Wife said:

But is she clever enough to keep the IRS from wanting their share of the $17,000 in "donations" she has received so far?

Lets see here...$43,000 per year salary plus $17,000 in donations equals $104,000. Welcome to the 32% tax bracket Karyn :wave:

I also thought of the tax implications....

However, I don't get your math. Please explain.

doctorwho said:

I also thought of the tax implications....

However, I don't get your math. Please explain.

It's called the "talking on the phone and trying to type a smart ass response on Interference" method. Trust me, I normally know how to add...I feel like a real boob right now :der:

Um, yeah...I meant $60,000...that would taxed at 28% :eek:

daisybean said:
BC...write that book!!!!!!!! and send it into publishers...that would be a great idea for a coffee table book. I'd rather read that then how a poor little princess ran up her Master Card on cappacinos and Prada

I was going to make a web site to archive all my stories once (one of my friends back home suggested it for a laugh)...maybe I should. :D

Bonochick said:
I was going to make a web site to archive all my stories once (one of my friends back home suggested it for a laugh)...maybe I should. :D
yeah! all you have to do is do a search here and search for the words "one time" by poster bonochick. :laugh:

i'd read it! :D

Back
Top Bottom