MERGED --> Move on/Vote For Change Tour last night! + Vote for Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
realplayer's streaming something or other on the 11th of october...

i don't think i'll be watching it because i'm having issues with it playing the clip of springsteen's 'mary's place' as it is :mad: the music is playing, but the visuals are pretty much non-existant...i'm getting a slide-show like mess of blurry shots of the band. maybe i broke something...

IWasBored said:
realplayer's streaming something or other on the 11th of october...

Yep, the final show is being webcast.

And for those of you who get the Sundance channel (I got this from the Dave Matthews mailing list):

On Monday, October 11, 2004, the Sundance Channel will broadcast a television special titled "National Anthem: Inside the "Vote for Change" Concert Tour". "National Anthem" is a documentary film by acclaimed filmmakers Albert Maysles and D.A. Pennebaker who are known for making some of the greatest music documentaries of all time (Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter, Bob Dylan - Don't Look Back, the Beatles - What's Happening in the USA). "National Anthem" will consist of behind-the-scenes footage from the tour and live performances from the final sold-out "Vote for Change" concert in Washington D.C. on October 11th. National Anthem will air on October 11th from 6:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. ET/PT. Among the artists to be featured in National Anthem are Dave Matthews Band, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, the Dixie Chicks, Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Keb' Mo', Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, Pearl Jam and R.E.M.

...Live radio and internet broadcasts of the final Vote for Change concert will also be happening concurrently. To date, Music Choice, XM Satellite Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio and stations across 20 states have confirmed that they will broadcast this important event.

The entire concert will be Web cast live at no charge through Real Player. Viewers are encouraged to download the free RealPlayer (for Windows, Mac or Linux desktops) in advance of the October 11th grand finale, at http://www.real.com. Once RealPlayer is installed, to catch the live concert, click the "Real Guide" tab in the player then click on the "Vote for Change" guitar.

Last edited:
yeah. that's what i meant.

R.E.M. HQ
Athens, GA
October 6, 2004

VOTE FOR CHANGE FINALE ON SUNDANCE CHANNEL

If you didn't get tickets to the sold out Vote for Change Grand Finale
Concert in Washington, D.C. on October 11th you can watch it live on the
Sundance Channel along with behind-the-scenes footage from inside the Vote
for Change Concert Tour.

Vote for Change wraps-up its 33 city, 11-state tour with a grand finale set
for Monday, October 11th in Washington, D.C. with a sold out show at the MCI
Center. Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Dave
Matthews Band, Dixie Chicks, Jackson Brown, James Taylor, Jurassic 5, Keb1
Mo1, Kenny 3Babyface2 Edmonds, Pearl Jam and R.E.M will perform.

This unprecedented and historic concert will be accessible to millions via a
live broadcast on the Sundance Channel entitled "National Anthem: Inside the
Vote for Change Concert Tour." It will also be webcast on RealNetworks, and
broadcast on more than 35 radio stations nationwide in 20 states.
A breakdown of the viewing and listening opportunities follows:

Sundance Channel
Sundance Channel will broadcast a television special titled National Anthem:
Inside the "Vote for Change" Concert Tour; a documentary film consisting of
behind-the-scenes footage from the tour by acclaimed filmmakers Albert
Maysles and D A Pennebaker and live performances from the final "Vote for
Change" concert in Washington D.C. on October 11. National Anthem will air
on Monday, October 11, 2004 from 6:30pm to 11:30pm ET/PT.

RealNetworks
The entire grand finale concert will be Web cast live for free through
RealPlayer. Viewers are encouraged to download the free RealPlayer (for
Windows, Mac or Linux desktops) in advance of the October 11th grand finale,
at real.com. Once RealPlayer is installed, you can stream the live
concert by clicking the 'Real Guide' tab in the player (then click on the
'Vote For Change' guitar).

Radio
In addition, the broadcast is set to be carried live by satellite and will
be offered to radio stations across all markets in an effort to bring the
Vote for Change message to a broad, nationwide audience. To date, Music
Choice, XM Satellite Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio and stations across 20
states have confirmed they will carry the event. (Check local listings for
stations and affiliates taking part in this broadcast. A complete list is
available upon request.)

MoveOnPAC House Parties Across the Country
MoveOn PAC is working in with its grassroots team to bring Vote for Change
home. While the artists take to the stage in Washington, D.C. on the 11th,
fans and members of MoveOn PAC all over the country will be holding watch
parties. These parties offer a unique opportunity for organizers, supporters
and voters in local communities who are passionate about the music and the
issues to gather and be a part of this historic event. To learn more about
the MoveOn PAC house parties, people are encouraged to visit
http://action.moveonpac.org/vfc/.

Thanks!

Remhq.com
Wbr.com

Wow, thanks for the info. I haven't watched a concert live on the computer since U2's Notre Dame. I'll have to remember to have some cold beer in the house on the 11th.

joyfulgirl said:

Yep, the final show is being webcast.

And for those of you who get the Sundance channel (I got this from the Dave Matthews mailing list):

On Monday, October 11, 2004, the Sundance Channel will broadcast a television special titled "National Anthem: Inside the "Vote for Change" Concert Tour". "National Anthem" is a documentary film by acclaimed filmmakers Albert Maysles and D.A. Pennebaker who are known for making some of the greatest music documentaries of all time (Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter, Bob Dylan - Don't Look Back, the Beatles - What's Happening in the USA). "National Anthem" will consist of behind-the-scenes footage from the tour and live performances from the final sold-out "Vote for Change" concert in Washington D.C. on October 11th. National Anthem will air on October 11th from 6:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. ET/PT. Among the artists to be featured in National Anthem are Dave Matthews Band, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, the Dixie Chicks, Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Keb' Mo', Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, Pearl Jam and R.E.M.

...Live radio and internet broadcasts of the final Vote for Change concert will also be happening concurrently. To date, Music Choice, XM Satellite Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio and stations across 20 states have confirmed that they will broadcast this important event.

The entire concert will be Web cast live at no charge through Real Player. Viewers are encouraged to download the free RealPlayer (for Windows, Mac or Linux desktops) in advance of the October 11th grand finale, at http://www.real.com. Once RealPlayer is installed, to catch the live concert, click the "Real Guide" tab in the player then click on the "Vote for Change" guitar.

you beat me to this...

I am going I am so excited

Vote For Change

Anybody out there go to the Vote For Change Tour over the past two weeks?

I saw Springsteen a week ago in Philly and going again next week in NJ.

Just wondering if there are u2 fans out there who go see these artists?

I went to the show in Orlando last night - it lasted from 7:30 p.m. until 12:15 a.m. :ohmy: I loved the duet on "Because the Night" between Michael Stipe and Bruuuuuuuuuuce! :hyper: "Born to Run" was awesome too :hyper:

Also, Tracy Chapman was the opening act instead of Bright Eyes.

Last edited:
For those who went to the Cleveland & St. Paul show, I have downloaded the Springsteen portion. I can send copies if you are interested.

Hit me back with a PM if interested.

I just got home and the show is being broadcast one of my cable radio stations. Adult alternative (918 Cox Cable) - Sounds like Bruce is singing with REM. Wish I had known, I would have recorded it.

Eliv8 said:
I just got home and the show is being broadcast one of my cable radio stations. Adult alternative (918 Cox Cable) - Sounds like Bruce is singing with REM. Wish I had known, I would have recorded it.

They might replay it. I have Music Choice, and I got a message saying they are replaying the whole thing at 12 a.m. EST/11 p.m. CST. I plan to tape it. :up:

Wow. Awesome performances. REM, Pearl Jam and Springsteen all on the same stage :combust: . Michael Stipe :heart: I think "Begin the Begin" was my favorite song of the night.

I kept looking for DiGi. :wave:

My tape ran out right after DMB's first song (Don't Drink the Water) :mad: although I got home from dinner right as Springsteen was beginning so DMB was the only thing I missed. What else did DMB play?

Stipe in his white suit was incredible. I had not seen REM perform since he became a real rock star (even in the late 80s when I saw them at MSG he didn't act like the rock star he is now). He wears it well.

Last edited:
My lil review :D

What a show!!!!!!!!!!! Mellencamp was terrifically fun and Pink Houses was an obvious and perfect choice. Bonnie Raitt's voice was a knockout--she kept having to back off her mic! LOL. Keb Mo like *defined* cool. I surprised myself by enjoying Jurrasic 5 a lot. Hardly Public Enemy or Run DMC but I liked em. Fun groove with a couple of Bob Marley lines thrown in ("stand up for your rights...."). James Taylor was good, and the Dixie Chicks! Wow. Say what you will about Ms. Little Texas Spitfire but DAMN does that girl a have a voice!! So powerful. And they sounded lovely with Mr. Taylor's songs. Enjoyed JT (as Eddie Vedder called him) getting in that line about not "changing horses midstream". He said something like, if you're horse is in over it's head....

DMB put me to sleep. Yes, I was tired by that point but still. LOL. I try to like him, I do. He bores me.

What can I say about Pearl Jam? Amazing! Dark and powerful and angry. EV looks like a Darkness era Bruce. He's so intense.

REM was, other than Bruce, the highlight. I loved hearing him sing with Bruce. Got a chuckle out of the fact that Michael Stipe, who is a DOLL, did that same little bow to Bruce that Bono does. Because the Night was terrific! REM's whole set sounded great, and I still have Man on the Moon in my head. Loved Bruce doing the Elvis part of that song "hey baby are ya having fun?" Stipe has a lovely poingant voice.

And then, Bruce. Guess who brought the house down! The set was very familar to Bruce junkies, but that's okay. The baptist preach schtick helped him inject some humor into the "why it's dumb to vote for Bush." Bruce had the line of the night to swing voters: "It's Oct 11. What the hell are you waiting for? If you mislead a nation in to war, you lose your job. It ain't rocketscience!" Said in preecher voice. Made it fun for the TV folks at home whom he was addressing. He can play me Born to Run and Badlands anytime.

Really enjoyed the finale with everyone out, too. That was something I'll never ever see again! Fogerty's "Fortunate Son" was entirely apropos and angry and great. Stipe was wearing a shirt that said "shout" (I think that's what it said) and he kept jogging around the stage and he'd point to his shirt and the appropriate section would go nuts. Very fun. LOL. "The People Have the Power" was a great note to end on. Here here!

SD

I agree, Michael Stipe is a doll :heart: On the web cast they had a backstage thing at Philly where he talked about how nervous he was to sing w/ Bruce. In the dressing room Mills and Buck were going through Born To Run, and Michael started to sing it. That was so sweet..also he told them to "keep clean" the copy of their new CD he was going to give to Bruce.

They showed him giving the CD to Bruce and he was like a shy teenager or something

Anyway :wink: I enjoyed the web cast, but I couldn't stay awake for all of Bruce because it went so late..

Yeah, it's got DVD Christmas release written all over it (unless they put it out before the election). Sundance showed it live and then reran it immediately afterwards but it's not on the schedule right now for any more reruns so I'm guessing a DVD is in the works.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I agree, Michael Stipe is a doll :heart: On the web cast they had a backstage thing at Philly where he talked about how nervous he was to sing w/ Bruce. In the dressing room Mills and Buck were going through Born To Run, and Michael started to sing it. That was so sweet..also he told them to "keep clean" the copy of their new CD he was going to give to Bruce.

They showed him giving the CD to Bruce and he was like a shy teenager or something

:cute:

I wish I could have watched the Web cast, but I swear, my computer hates me these days. Every time I try to watch any kind of video content it won't let me - and I have broadband!

I have to content myself with my tape of the audio-only broadcast over Much Music. I've been listening to it all evening. "Because the Night" rocked my socks off! :bow:

I'm disappointed Neil Young didn't show up - just imagine Bruce, Eddie Vedder and Young on "Rocking in the Free World." Maybe it's just as well - the excitement probably would have killed me.

I was with DiGi the other night in DC - high up but REM really impressed me - and of course Bruce Springsteen is the best thing since sliced bread...
Fortunate Son with John Fogerty was AWESOME - Peace Love and Understanding, and For What its Worth were very memorable too. Michael Stipe and Bruce had great energy. Pearl Jam was a huge disappointment in the selection of songs they played...political, yes- however they didn't really play anything to get the crowd going.
Dave Matthews Band played a very cool set.

What a great concert!

PS
Bruce's speech during Mary's Place was hilarious/awesome.

joyfulgirl said:
I was kinda bored with Bruce. :reject: It was all about R.E.M. for me.

wha-wha-WHAT!? :shame: :tsk:

I thought Bruce was incredible!!... better than the first time I saw him too. REM was GREAT though - I will give you that.

U2democrat said:
Since they showed the finale of the tour on Sundance (which i don't get :() do y'all think it'll be on DVD?

Thats what I was thinking. Especially how everything seems to make its way to DVD now. I would be one worth picking up.

joyfulgirl said:
I was kinda bored with Bruce. :reject: It was all about R.E.M. for me.

With all respect of your opinion. I dont see how an artist with the energy of Bruce and the band can bore you.

Back
Top Bottom