MERGED ---> Michael Jackson + Jacko - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2003, 02:26 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:17 PM

If he's so 'mentally ill' maybe he shouldn't be in control of his own life, or anyone else's, especially not children. If he has never been diagnosed or treated, there is no telling just how bad this could get. I have to believe if it were truly a 'sickness' someone would have had him put away by now, or he'd at least have a guardian in control of his private affairs. If he was in his right mind and consented to the documentary, which from what I've heard took days to film, he has no right to complain now. He knew what was going on. I'd say he had no problem with it and might even have been proud of his performance or he would have tried to stop it sooner. He never whined about his 'unfair treatment' until he saw what people were saying about it after it was on TV. That's why I don't buy it.

Old 02-08-2003, 02:55 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
You obviously don't have anyone close to you who has a mental illness.

Old 02-09-2003, 12:30 AM   #63
New Yorker

It was filmed over a period of eight months.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:12 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by EPandAmerica
It was filmed over a period of eight months.
and....?
Old 02-09-2003, 02:17 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
I think EPandAmerica was clarifying what U2Kitten said

Quote:
which from what I've heard took days to film
Old 02-09-2003, 02:39 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Ah, okay. Thanks! I was just thoroughly
Old 02-09-2003, 07:27 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

EIGHT MONTHS??!! Goodness gracious, you'd think in all that time surely he or somebody close to him would have stopped this if they had a problem anything that was going on, don't you think?
Old 02-09-2003, 08:13 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

That's the thing, though. I think he truly thought this interview would make people understand him and stop saying such horrible things about him.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:47 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't see the documentary so I probably shouldn't say a damn thing. But I'm not sure I should believe the things he says. No, no, no........
Old 02-09-2003, 10:56 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean
It's one thing to sleep in the same bed with your own child, but to "sleep" with a 12 year old not related to you?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't judge, but there is something clearly wrong with that man.
Yeah. This stuff is disturbing.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:19 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean

snip
So great is the power that Jacko wields, especially in his own camp, that no one in his entourage dared suggest that the baby-over-the-balcony episode was "ludicrous and dangerous," says Bashir, who visited Jacko in his hotel room just 30 minutes after the incident.

Certainly, Jackson saw nothing irresponsible in his actions.

The fans outside his hotel room "were chanting they want to see the baby," Jackson tells Bashir. "So, I wanted to show them the baby."

snip

Damn. So this is the infamous "baby hanging" episode.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:54 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think the stuff with the 12-year-old is disturbing at all.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:13 AM   #73
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:17 AM
Its such a grey area this sleeping with the 12 year old business. I guess people can't get past the Michael Jackson element to the situation. So take him out for a sec, is there something wrong with a 44(?) year old man sleeping in the same room or even bed as a 12 year old boy? Our cynical society immediately assumes it is bad as that indicates the possibility of inappropriate behaviour. If there is absolutely no inappropriate behabviour, is it still wrong? If it is, is it because of age? Why age, if that is the case? Is it different from sleeping in the same bed as a friend? Many people do this for whatever reason and dont bat an eye. Is it gender? Because we are talking about a prepubescent boy and a grown man? What if it was a 44 year old woman and a 12 year old girl? Is it because we think he has a mental illness? Consider that mental illness is not a precursor for abusing children. All these rhetorical questions, but how many of us consider this before we pass judgement on him? I believe too often, MJ is the accused simply because he is MJ, not because people have thought about the situation for its worth. Sorry if this sounds patronising as I'm not referring to people here, its the media, society in general, no, more the media who are responsible for bringing us the news, then society for interpreting it.
And what of a mental illness. People go entire lifetimes undiagnosed. The last figures I believe for here were 1 in 10 people suffer one form or another. What happened to compassion and tolerance for those who do suffer one? Statistically, there would be a few Interferencers here with one. We dont just 'put them away'. We dont pass such quick judgement on those 1 in 10, but we do with MJ, and its because he is a public figure, and we dont know him, so we dont have to realise how misguided and unfair it actually is. We dont know him so we dont have to use tolerance and compassion here.
Its wrong.

*the 'we' in my post, again, was not at us in this thread but society and media.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:31 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Excellent post, Angela Harlem.

I'm just really depressed by the fact that our society immediately makes sleeping in the same room or even bed as a child into something sinister. No wonder kids today grow up too fast.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:24 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
Excellent post, Angela Harlem.

I'm just really depressed by the fact that our society immediately makes sleeping in the same room or even bed as a child into something sinister. No wonder kids today grow up too fast.
Not me. I come from a family where everyone took the babies into bed to keep them from crying. Most people in my family let kids sleep in the bed often and there is NOTHING wrong with it in most situations. We should NOT assume everybody has a dirty mind, because believe it or not you can sleep in the bed with kids and nothing goes on. My aunt slept with her son until he was in middle school. Nothing 'dirty' ever entered their minds. Not everyone is a molester, true. I think people should take their kids into the bed instead of letting them 'scream it out' in the other room. The kids in my family who slept with their parents had few nightmares, never wetted the bed, never sucked their thumbs and got a good night's sleep. That's much better than trying to teach them some kind of lesson.

But, it should go on a case by case basis, and in Michael Jackson's case, he seems so weird, and borderline 'mentally ill' that it's probably not a good idea, and if he does do it, don't put it on TV for millions to see. In his case, it's just creepy and asking for trouble. I don't know why you defend him so vehemently. If it's based on the experience of someone you know, that's THEM, we don't really know about him.

Quote:
That's the thing, though. I think he truly thought this interview would make people understand him and stop saying such horrible things about him.
I think that too. BUT if he has no better judgement and rationality than that, it only proves he cannot be trusted to make the right decision. It all gives me the shivers.