MERGED--> Michael Clayton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
Michael Clayton

Anyone see this yet? Wide release starts on 10/12 I believe. Looks good :hmm:

Oh, and George Clooney will be on David Letterman this evening :flirt:

It got RAVE reviews, one critic said it is the picture to see this year and Clooney's performance is exceptional. (and may I add that Mr Clooney looks wonderful.) I'd like very much to see it.

Hmm. I definitely didn't predict this one being a winner, but the reviews really are great.

Might check it out after all.

The previews look good, and Mr.Clooney is easy on the eyes
prototyp.gif
:shifty: (I have first dibs Mrs. S!)

Copy and pasted from other thread:

George Clooney delivers in this slow burning but rewarding semi-legal drama. He is far and away the best thing in this, but that's not to say it's a bad film. It's great to see him continue to do projects like this (whether as an actor, director and producer) in between the commercial fare like the Ocean's franchise. He's definitely my favourite working actor.

I have a feeling it's one of those films that shouldn't be seen with high expectations. It's best to view it with an open mind and as little prior knowledge of the plot beforehand.

The writer/director is the guy who adapted all the Bourne films.

Also, he had Sydney Pollack, Steven Soderbergh and Anthony Minghella as exec producers.

Won't be surprised if it's a winner.

:hi5:

He was in Boston a few weeks ago to give an award to Jerry Weintraub but the tickets cost hundreds of dollars :( The hotel was far too out of the way to go there to try to even get a glimpse and be shot down and disappointed.

monkeyskin said:
I have a feeling it's one of those films that shouldn't be seen with high expectations.

Too late! All the high praise has gotten me interested in it, whereas before I figured it'd be worth a rental when it came out on DVD.

I have barely any knowledge of the plot, though.

Been looking forward to this one for a long time, and it doesn't disappoint. Not a stunning directorial debut from Gilroy (not to say that aspect is weak) but the editing/pacing keeps up with the top-notch screenplay, and of course this is an acting showcase, Clooney hasn't failed to impress me in a long time, Sydney Pollack is decent (better director than he is acting) Tilda Swinton as always is great to watch, especially versus Clooney. Wilkinson who is normally excellent was a bit out there at times but serviceable. I don't expect it to sweep any awards, but that means absolutely nothing to me anyway.

Now it's just too bad to read today that Clooney's next film Leatherheads has been pushed to next year. Although he's also reteaming with Swinton, Brad Pitt and the Coen Brothers for Burn After Reading, should be a good Clooney year.

Lila64 said:
you did hear his voiceover in the Bono Liberty Award thing a couple of weeks ago, right? :flirt:

No, I never watched it. I think I have lost interest in U2 lately to be honest :shifty: and I just can't keep up with Bono and all of his activities, it's just overwhelming at times :wink:

I really enjoyed it. powerhour24, I have to disagree: I thought Wilkinson was very good. Everyone was very good.

I thought Wilkinson was fantastic. He had that look in his eyes (especially when wandering through the streets of Manhattan) that is very, very close to what you would see in a mental hospital. So I felt he did a great job, particularly with the mania and how in the midst of it, you can have great moments of clarity.

Loved it.

I loved it too, it's one of those quietly powerful movies that doesn't just hit you over the head. The acting is excellent, George did such a fine job too. And he looks incredibly handsome while doing it.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the ending (the very final scene), but when you think about it it's appropriate for the movie.

I just saw this this afternoon and I LOVED, LOVED, :heart: this movie!!!

So awesome! The acting! The consistent pacing that keeps beautifully unfurling! The acting! George Clooney :heart: :heart: !

And the legal aspects were pretty dead-on as well. In most movies where there's any litigation or trial, there's always great dramatic license taken. This one stuck accurately close to the bone.

It was such an intelligent movie with so many layers and levels, and how Clooney reacts to all his many different relationships on an individual level. Wow! I honestly think it's his best acting yet. He completely left all his normal "Clooney-isms" behind and just became Michael Clayton.

And that one scene with his son in the car at the end of the street. Seriously, I had tears in my eyes. Father-Son stuff always gets me, but that was just a beautiful, beautiful scene; so honest and so truthful. :drool:

Smart, smart, intelligent film. I'm definitely going to see this one again! :hyper:

anitram said:
I thought Wilkinson was fantastic. He had that look in his eyes (especially when wandering through the streets of Manhattan) that is very, very close to what you would see in a mental hospital. So I felt he did a great job, particularly with the mania and how in the midst of it, you can have great moments of clarity.

Loved it.

I thought some of his scenes were done well, and fit what the character was supposed to be going for, but others were a bit too much to believe that he still knew what he was doing all along while falling apart so much.

The ending was quite gripping, if a little abruptly handled, and the motives were questionable as well, as they pointed out both Clooney and Wilkinson's characters (as well as pretty much every other employee at the firm) knew that they were defending the bad guy, but railed against them at the last second.

I think one of my favorite things about the film was that it treated its audience as intelligent. The opening monologue alone was breathtaking, but I'm also talking about the characters and their relation to one another. There was no big, flashing-dialogue or exposition; characters just came in and out of the story and if you were paying attention to the earlier dialogue, you knew who they were. (I'm especially thinking of his Dad's birthday party scene, where he had previously mentioned having at least one sister and one brother.)

I love movies that don't dumb-it-down for the audience. Everything was accounted for and explained, but it didn't hit you over the head with recaps, summaries and explantions. The events just happened and unfolded in their own due time.

I think I love this film even more for treating me as a person with a brain, rather than as an ass in a seat! :lol:

FitzChivalry said:
I think one of my favorite things about the film was that it treated its audience as intelligent. The opening monologue alone was breathtaking, but I'm also talking about the characters and their relation to one another. There was no big, flashing-dialogue or exposition; characters just came in and out of the story and if you were paying attention to the earlier dialogue, you knew who they were. (I'm especially thinking of his Dad's birthday party scene, where he had previously mentioned having at least one sister and one brother.)

I love movies that don't dumb-it-down for the audience. Everything was accounted for and explained, but it didn't hit you over the head with recaps, summaries and explantions. The events just happened and unfolded in their own due time.

I think I love this film even more for treating me as a person with a brain, rather than as an ass in a seat! :lol:

I liked that quality as well, similar to what made the narrative for Miami Vice good, despite the fact that it went over most people's heads. It just went along for the ride, it was complicated and didn't stop to spell things out for you or set things up with endless exposition, but it works if you pay attention, not to mention that film's style, acting and action were all well done, but most people were looking for a dumb action movie (it was hindered by keeping the title, and the marketing) but it was a gripping movie, and better on subsequent views.

It doesn't look like that great a story from the trailer, but I'm curious if it's gotten such high praise, including from members here. I'll definitely see it, then.

MrsSpringsteen said:

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the ending (the very final scene), but when you think about it it's appropriate for the movie.

You mean when the credits were rolling? I LOVED that.

One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I was riveted from the first scene to the last. And I totally agree with Fitz about it assuming the viewer is intelligent. The plot is complicated and yet the writing and direction are so clear that I never once felt confused. Just fantastic film-making, acting, direction, cinematography...everything.

I guess the point was that he's just leaving and you don't know where he's going and what he's going to do. Maybe I just wanted more resolution.

I loved Michael Clayton, I hope it isn't overlooked at Oscar time. I wonder what the box office is so far, I'll have to look that up. It just doesn't seem like people are going to see adult, intelligent movies in the numbers that they are going to see others. Look at Gone Baby Gone- but maybe some people just don't trust anything that Affleck is associated with. It's a shame, I think it's a fantastic movie.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I guess the point was that he's just leaving and you don't know where he's going and what he's going to do. Maybe I just wanted more resolution.

I loved Michael Clayton, I hope it isn't overlooked at Oscar time. I wonder what the box office is so far, I'll have to look that up. It just doesn't seem like people are going to see adult, intelligent movies in the numbers that they are going to see others. Look at Gone Baby Gone- but maybe some people just don't trust anything that Affleck is associated with. It's a shame, I think it's a fantastic movie.

I just thought he was processing all that had just happened. It seemed real to me. He probably had no idea at that point what he was going to do.

I agree with you about Gone Baby Gone. I thought it was really good. Young Affleck is a better actor than his brother, imo. Overall I liked it better than the much-acclaimed Mystic River.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I agree with joyful in I think part of him is just processing everything. But the main thing going through my mind was: I think his life is still in danger.

I mean, he basically just f***ed everyone and everyone . . . some really powerful, powerful people at his old firm. I don't think a huge firm like that is going to sit by and just go down lightly.

So my impression was that he's still in fear. Plus, what's he going to do now? No law firm is ever going to touch him (unless its with a subpoena). So what's he going to do for money, a job? In his financial position he can't really start all over. And he sure as hell can't start all over in New York.

I liked the ending. So many possibilities. So many grey areas . . . just like real life.

"Michale Clayton" :drool:

I saw this. I really enjoyed it, though a few things were confusing. I liked how Michael Clayton was still a self-absorbed jerk and didn't get rid of these qualities by the end of the movie and just want to see his son. You're hoping he'll ask the cab driver to take him to a specific address to see his son, but he doesn't. So often films exaggerate how quickly and easily people change and it's just not realistic. This was very true to life, based on how the character behaved up to that point. It's very sad, though. I also liked how the villain did terrible things, but I didn't hate her because she was under a lot of pressure in a competitive world. It shows how corporations can be inherently evil in the profit-motive behavior they encourage, as shown in the documentary "The Corporation" (2004).

My big brother who's a stressed out lawyer found it quite depressing because it reminded him of all the other lawyers he's known he don't tend to their family, and worried if this future awaited him.

Last edited:
Michael Clayton

Has anyone seen this brilliant film???
It reminds me of a modern day "Network".
I've never been a huge fan of George Clooney but I must admit I've got a new found respect for him. If you haven't seen this film I highly recommend it.

Don't worry, it's up for Best Picture and numerous other oscars so I'm sure it will be back in theaters. If not, there's always DVD. It's a good one - well worth seeing.

Back
Top Bottom