MERGED--> Lucky duck! + The luckiest duck...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
Lucky duck!

This is pretty amazing. Hope the duck is able to make it and have a good life after all this.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

When the wife of the hunter who shot it opened the refrigerator door, the duck lifted its head, giving her a scare.

The man's wife "was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her," said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. "She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there."

The 1-pound female ring-neck ended up at Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won't ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times. And he said he understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

"This duck is very passive," Hale said. "It's not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands."

link

I'll have the roast duck, with the mango salsa

caveman_1.jpg

Reminds me of one of those not-quite-dead-yet "gifts" cats will bring you sometimes. :barf: I'm not opposed to hunting for food but I can't imagine realizing an animal you'd assumed has been dead for hours, let alone days, has in fact been alive and in agony the whole time.

The luckiest duck in the world

Plucky duck survives another brush with death

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (AP) -- Perky is one tough bird.

The ring-neck duck survived being shot and spending two days in a hunter's refrigerator -- and now she's had a close brush with death on a veterinarian's operating table.

The one-pound female duck stopped breathing Saturday during surgery to repair gunshot damage to one wing, said Noni Beck of the Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary.

Veterinarian David Hale revived the bird after several tense moments by performing CPR.

"I started crying, 'She's alive!"' Beck said.

Perky entered the headlines last week after a hunter's wife opened her refrigerator door and the should've-been-dead duck lifted its head and looked at her. The bird had been in the fridge for two days since being shot and presumed killed January 15. (Watch Perky after her first survival feat )

Perky is recovering with a pin installed in the fractured wing, and probably will not have more surgery because of her sensitivity to anesthesia, Hale said.

yolland said:
Reminds me of one of those not-quite-dead-yet "gifts" cats will bring you sometimes. :barf: I'm not opposed to hunting for food but I can't imagine realizing an animal you'd assumed has been dead for hours, let alone days, has in fact been alive and in agony the whole time.

I agree.

We had Muscovys once. They're feral. I associate all ducks with them, while they're obviously not. Thankfully.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom