MERGED--> Lost Season 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think he and the rest of the losties are still alive. Where are they physically is the question. I hope Faraday is as smart as I think he is and can figure it out. I keep running across discussion about "exotic matter" and how it would relate to what Faraday and crew would be experiencing. If anyone can figure out what that means let me know.

I don't know if it pertains to what's happening to Faraday exactly but I can give everyone the latest, neat theory on how it might have moved.

There are some great (although incomplete and varying) ideas that I've been reading. The best one with regard to space/time movement is the antipode theory (in conjunction with wormholes). Antipodes are the exact 'other side of the Earth' from a given point. So the antipode of Tunisia, where Ben was 'dumped' is NE of New Zealand and outside of Fiji about precisely where you would expect the Island to have been.

Furthermore, the center of that path is in/near the Sunda Trench in Indonesia where the fake plane was dropped and near where the O6 were 'rescued'. So that could be hints from the writers (or not). This antipodes theory also accounts for different locations throughout the show (think:The Black Rock and how it ended up where it did) and the fact that the Island probably/possibly moved at least once (prior to this latest move) since we've been watching the show. General opinion thinks that Desmond blowing up the hatch did this. Another theory speculates that the system failure (which caused the plane crash in the first place) might have been another. So surely speculation but it's fun.

The exotic matter you've read about probably has to do with wormholes. There is probably a link on a previous page in this thread discussing this (maybe one of the Popular Mechanics links?). Anyways just google it, if not.

There is a scientific theory (which is consistent with the known laws) that one could traverse these wormholes and travel to the future. It's by Kip Thorne and I believe it basically came about when he was trying to help Carl Sagan with his travel in 'Contact'. When Ellie (Jodie Foster) drops through the big machine, she goes through a wormhole and comes out on the other side instantaneously etc. What's cool is that, while maybe not probable to our current notions, it's a consistent theory that is more or less backed by Stephen Hawking and others of note. It seems to support (in theory) travel to the future but probably not the past, so, I'm not certain we would have seen physical time travel to the past yet. Dr Ray's dead body seems to say otherwise right now. I'm leaning towards thinking Richard Alpert is just an old bastard who has had his life extended by some Island exotic magic. :)

So, the wormhole theory is essentially that you could hold open this wormhole with negatively charged exotic matter (which would have the opposite effect of gravity) and it is theorized by the science geeks in Lost Fandom, that the turning of the frozen wheel unleashed the exotic matter. And that held the wormhole open. Thus it moved the Island in space/time somewhere and deposited Ben Linus at the Island's current antipode (Tunisia).

So the Island is maybe unique because of this deposit of exotic matter, which maybe explains certain phenomenon on the Island. These ancient (four toed statue) people were able to use it, much much later the people who founded Dharma found about it, exploited it, these ancients (or their remnants) recruited Ben to purge Dharma and so on.

This also could mean that the Island would have moved to the same time (10 months ahead to October 2005) as Ben but that's not neccessarily so. If there is a wormhole that is opened by the frozen wheel and the other side stretches to Tunisia, then why would that move Ben only and not the Island to the same spot? Besides the fact that it would be land on top of land.

There is a whole theory in conjunction with this that tries to address this, I won't get into it too much now but to say, the idea is, the Island didn't move into or inside of the wormhole (like Ben). So only that side of the wormhole moved. For example, it's like having a hose (wormhole) attached from Los Angeles to New York. You have one 'mouth' in LA, one 'mouth' in NY. Ben is standing in LA. Pushing the wheel zaps Ben to New York and the the Los Angeles 'mouth' slides up to say, Seattle. Did it move in time as well? I guess we'll find out.

Anyhow, that's just a pretty cool theory of how it might have moved.
I'm sure that on the show itself, they won't dig too deep into the science other than hint at it. Sort of like with having the details written on Daniel's chalkboard and in his notebook for geeks (like me) to get screencaps and analyze to death. I would imagine they'll have a solid explanation that won't require too much difficulty.

I don't know if it pertains to what's happening to Faraday exactly but I can give everyone the latest, neat theory on how it might have moved.

The exotic matter you've read about probably has to do with wormholes. There is probably a link on a previous page in this thread discussing this (maybe one of the Popular Mechanics links?). Anyways just google it, if not.

I like your theory and I think it holds some ground as to how the island was able to move. My problem is in doing such you have to be able to shift not only physical matter but time itself.

I goggled it and got only a small amount of info "exotic matter". To bad I am even more confused than ever. People like Newton, Einstein, Hawking and the fictional Faraday fascinate me and confuse me at the same time.

Form what I gathered, if there is such a thing as exotic mater, that would have negative energy (thus negative pressure in space, and repulsive gravity) would it be possible to build an anti-gravity device? -Ben's big wheel.

As far as i know there is no reason that EM cannot exist but there has been no evidence to suggest that it does exist. I think that is the types of experiments Faraday was attempting to duplicate and what the DHARMA Initiatives succeeded in.

:doh:I know this post will only make sense to me.

Exotic matter is theoretical but it is believed to be possible (I suppose). I like the idea that the Island sits on a patch of some kind of theoretical 'exotic matter' magic than just TV magic all by itself. And yeah, Ben's wheel would be attached to this patch of exotic matter, so I guess you could say it was an anti-gravity device of sorts.

It could also explain lots of other things about the show. Apparitions, healing, Richard Alpert being magically ageless (rather than traveling back in time) etc.
It could be a nice, neat explanation for the general audence rather than getting too deep into the weeds of science.

The Island defintely moved in time and space. It would have had to.
That doesn't mean the Island went back to 1975 but it could have, I guess.
I think the easiest explanation that I've seen is that it went to the same time that Ben went to. 10 months into the future. That's why when Richard Alpert and Ethan Rom went and recruited Juliet to come to the Island they said they worked for Mittelos Labs. Mittelos is an anagram for Lost Time. That's time they will never get back.

No matter what I see, I don't think there will be backwards time travel.
I think they just want us to think that. Hell, there might not be any time travel at all.
Maybe Desmond was just hallucinating or his 'travel' is just memory (as in it all happened once before) etc.

The wormhole theory itself (Kip Thorne's theory) dictates that The Island would have moved in time and space. As far as I understand it. The problem is trying to make that fit with LOST. So, that's where the anitpodes come into play. They are just places it could have physically moved to on the Earth's surface.

I also remember back to the previous hiatus' between Season 1 and 2. Then 2 and 3, then 3 and 4 and all the crazy theories that were made to look very very very silly.

Which is probably what will happen to all that bullshit I just typed in the previous theory.
It's got to be simple enough for 10 million people to swallow. But hey, it's fun to think about.

Back
Top Bottom