MERGED--> Lost Season 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I, too, watch the episodes repeatedly :wink:

I don't have an answer as to why both mothers are named Emily but they are clearly two different women.

The only way they could possibly be brothers would be if Anthony Cooper wasn't really Locke's father, if he had just conned Locke into believing it, but at this point that might be a stretch. The woman who would be Locke's grandmother tells her daughter that the man she is going out to see is twice her age. Would Roger Linus be twice her age at that point?

Anthony Cooper would be.

beegee said:
I, too, watch the episodes repeatedly :wink:

I don't have an answer as to why both mothers are named Emily but they are clearly two different women.

The only way they could possibly be brothers would be if Anthony Cooper wasn't really Locke's father, if he had just conned Locke into believing it, but at this point that might be a stretch. The woman who would be Locke's grandmother tells her daughter that the man she is going out to see is twice her age. Would Roger Linus be twice her age at that point?

Anthony Cooper would be.

Why does Roger Linus have to be Locke's father?

Anthony Cooper - could have been the father for Locke - Roger Linus could meet her in the future and father Ben.

Same mother different fathers.

Am I missing something? I am not sure I am right and would not bet my pay check on this, but of all the names in the world, why Emily?

By that theory then, Roger was never Ben's father.

Well, that would sure take a lot of fun out of the episode where they go for a drive in the Dharma van.

:wink:

Either way, I would seriously hope that's not the case.

beegee said:
By that theory then, Roger was never Ben's father.

Well, that would sure take a lot of fun out of the episode where they go for a drive in the Dharma van.

:wink:

Either way, I would seriously hope that's not the case.

Why can't Roger be Ben's father and Cooper be Locke's father?

I am getting my DVD's out - Locke's mother was alive later in Locke's life, unless it was the woman who was raising him (foster home).

WE know Ben's mother died. I am so confused....lol

ANyways, I am not sold on my theory.

Locke's grandmother certainly knows Alpert though.....which makes me wonder how!!!!!

Do you find it interesting that Richard Alpert got Ben to kill his father and Locke to kill his through Sawyer?

Horace Goodspeed gets Ben Linus to the Island.
Horace Goodspeed guides Locke to the cabin.

Dreadsox said:
Why can't Roger be Ben's father and Cooper be Locke's father?

This is already true in the show so far.

Dreadsox said:
Locke's mother was alive later in Locke's life, unless it was the woman who was raising him (foster home).

In the episode Deus Ex Machina, the private investigator hired by Locke told him that Emily Locke and Anthony Cooper are his parents.

Yes, and if Emily Locke married Mr. Linus she would be Emily Linus.

If Mr. Cooper were conning Mr. Locke to get his kidney, he may very well have been smart enough to get someone to pretend to be Emily Locke to con him in Deus Ex Machina (A great Episode).

Emily in Cabin Fever is young enough to have moved on and met Linus and married him.

Didn't this episode make it look more like Alpert himself was Locke's father? When he's looking in the window and they ask Granny if that's the father, her response isn't conclusive.

This episode is clearly trying to show us parallels between the births and childhoods of Ben and Locke, and I *think* what they're trying to get at is that one of them was destined to be leader/caretaker of the island, but that maybe a mistake has been made along the way.

Ben seemed all defeated that Locke has seemingly usurped his position, but I don't buy that for a second. Ben still has a few more tricks up his sleeve.

Something occurred to me last night (I spend WAY too much time thinking about this show) - first of all, I don't buy the Christian Shephard is Jacob theory. I was reading back over some old episode information, and was reminded of Jacob saying "help me" to Locke, when Locke first went into the cabin in season 3. Next, Hurley looked into the cabin and saw Christian, and presumably the eye of Jacob. Finally, Locke goes into the cabin and sees Christian and Claire, and Christian tells him that he can speak for Jacob, or on Jacob's behalf, or whatever.

So, what occurred to me is this: what if Jacob's "help me" plea to Locke is because Christian has done something to Jacob like trapping him, or something else that would prevent him from having power over the island and its inhabitants? In my scenario, Jacob is a good guy, probably the rightful ultimate power of the island, and Christian is the bad guy, inhibiting Jacob and taking over that power somehow, to exert his own (evil) will over the island, and Jacob needs help to be freed to take his power back.

It's very rare that I actually come up with theories that are any more than vague possibilities, but for some reason, this one seems to feel right to me.

As for Claire, I have absolutely nothing to base this on, but I really didn't get the impression that she's dead dead. I don't think she's fully alive either, but maybe in some altered consciousness, like Deep keeps referring to. In any case, she seemed very relaxed and almost smug, so I suspect that Christian has let her in on some secrets that we're not aware of, perhaps what needs to happen in order for everything to turn out okay for Aaron.

I retract my emily theory.....

Hehe - Locke had a DNA test run on the woman claiming to be his mother. My bad:O) Can;t remember everything.

Anyone keeping track of the number of ppeople hurt in car crashes connected to the island?

Dreadsox said:
Anyone keeping track of the number of people hurt in car crashes connected to the island?

back in 2005

I had my P O D theory (point of departure)

Kate was in a serious car wreck

no air bag on her side, if I recall

next scene she drives the car away and it is not damaged

I think there was a horse involved

she also, sees a horse on the island

as for Claire, I believe she is dead, dead, dead, no more altered state for her now

and Desmond must be in "altered state" to be thinking he is time and distance jumping

and for you and all the others that have said you watch these several times over, I barely watch them once, with my laptop comp on.

well, what do you make of the H S counselor telling Locke he will never be the Hero ?

Dreadsox said:
Anyone keeping track of the number of ppeople hurt in car crashes connected to the island?

LOTS of them. http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Car_accidents

deep said:

and Desmond must be in "altered state" to be thinking he is time and distance jumping

well, what do you make of the H S counselor telling Locke he will never be the Hero ?

When you say "altered state" for Desmond, are you implying that the time travel is taking place in his imagination and is not real?

If so, I disagree. I could be misinterpreting, but it seems to me that you're wanting/looking for plausible, real-world explanations for what's happening. I don't think that's the way it'll play out, I expect that there will be some (hopefully not all) explanations requiring suspension of belief, that will come down to magical properties that the island is inflicting upon the people who have a connection to it, or science fictioney explanations that are beyond our knowledge at this time, if not unreal altogether, like time travel or alternate realities.

Re: Locke and the science teacher, I just felt that it was to show that despite being gifted in the area of science, Locke always felt that his true destiny was to be a hero, so he denied the sciencey part of himself.

It also hearkened back to seasons 1 and 2 for me, where there was this whole Jack, man of science vs. Locke, man of faith thing going on. That scene almost made it seem as though the whole science vs. faith battle was also playing out within Locke himself, at least in his early years.

Last edited:
VintagePunk said:
When you say "altered state" for Desmond, are you implying that the time travel is taking place in his imagination and is not real?

not his imagination, but in his mind somehow

it is as real
as what happen in the Matrix,
people can feel and die
Claire died.

Ben, seems to know what is real and not, and it seems some people do know that leaving this "state" means death

anything else,
just makes this as silly as that "jumper" movie

VintagePunk said:

I don't think that's the way it'll play out, I expect that there will be some (hopefully not all) explanations requiring suspension of belief, that will come down to magical properties that the island is inflicting upon the people who have a connection to it, or science fictioney explanations that are beyond our knowledge at this time, if not unreal altogether, like time travel or alternate realities.

Once you allow any sort of "magical properties" you have opened the box for any all "magical crap"

one can not be a little bit pregnant, as they say

Deep, I'm not being critical at all - everyone's entitled to view shows through their own perceptions and to have their own opinions - I'm just genuinely curious: why is is that Lost needs to have plausible explanations for everything for you not to be disappointed? Some of the best shows ever in the history of television have attributed events to the fantastical, why not Lost?

That's a fair point, shows like Twin Peaks or The Prisoner certainly left people wondering and/or confused upon their conclusion.

However, Lost certainly seems eager to bring things back to the real world, and not just geographically. From listening to the producers, it doesn't seem like they want people to be left simply with more questions.

lazarus said:
That's a fair point, shows like Twin Peaks or The Prisoner certainly left people wondering and/or confused upon their conclusion.

However, Lost certainly seems eager to bring things back to the real world, and not just geographically. From listening to the producers, it doesn't seem like they want people to be left simply with more questions.

I don't think that they'll leave people with more questions. I think they'll bring it back to real world as much as possible, but that some things will remain that they'll pretty much have to explain with magic, the supernatural, or science fiction. While I don't really buy, at this point, that the the people are magical, they obviously have something about them that has caused the island or one of the factions battling over the island to want them there. I think it's much easier to attribute any possible magic as being a property of the island, that maybe gets transferred to some of the people.

Funny you should mention Twin Peaks, that's one of the ones I had in mind. I'm currently rewatching it on DVD. I'm a couple of episodes into the second season. I haven't seen it since it originally aired.

VintagePunk said:

Ben seemed all defeated that Locke has seemingly usurped his position, but I don't buy that for a second. Ben still has a few more tricks up his sleeve.

So, what occurred to me is this: what if Jacob's "help me" plea to Locke is because Christian has done something to Jacob like trapping him, or something else that would prevent him from having power over the island and its inhabitants? In my scenario, Jacob is a good guy, probably the rightful ultimate power of the island, and Christian is the bad guy, inhibiting Jacob and taking over that power somehow, to exert his own (evil) will over the island, and Jacob needs help to be freed to take his power back.

I agree totally about Ben ...he seemed very defeated and unsettled in this episode...but I think he is not giving up so quickly and quietly////and on another note...he is absolutely awesome in this role...he always commands total attention when on the screen

I also find your theory about Jacob and Christian to be a very good one...Christian just seems totally evil to me ...it will be interesting to see who Jacob is..

amd obviously a lot of us are Twin Peaks fans here...hopefully Jacob will not be a "Bob" like character///that Bob gave me the damn CREEPS!

Yeah. I meant something more immediate that that, though. When Ben said something to the effect of "you made him think it was his idea," to Locke about Hurley, I think that's what Ben's essentially doing to Locke right now, acting as if he's conceded power to Locke when he's actually manipulating him.

the last thing i remember about lost was michael handing kate and sawyer and whatshisface to get his son back...

i now have absolutely no idea whats going on! hahaha

i think i just might buy the DVDS and do a huge watching session to get through it

is it as good as the first two seasons?

Season 3 doesn't start out very good, especially with the introductions of the new vacant & attractive cast members. But it picks up steam after the first 6 or 7 episodes.

I am still on the Lilly kick. Maybe this is more of a biblical thing - John and Jesus - their mothers had the same name. Lostpedia has a biblical reference to the way John's mother told the nurse what to name him.

Still searching.

Love the Christian Sheppard idea by the way. Maybe he has Jacob trapped.

If you have iTunes you can get them of there for $1.99! All the seasons are avilable. I only have season 6 and 7 on DVD.

Back
Top Bottom