MERGED--> Lost Season 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VintagePunk said:
I agree that sometimes in this series, a cigar is just a cigar. But there certainly are times that the producers intentionally insert a lot of clues and symbolism.

It is all just happening in Ben's mind because he is comatose because he got hit in the head with pancakes :yes:

(somehow this slipped out on the internet, and the writers are livid!!!!)

The date on the paper has to be a prop error.

'Through the Looking Glass' took place in April 2007, according to the article on the 'coffin man'. which is the furthest we've been shown on the timeline. Looking Glass happened after Jack and Kate had a falling out and Jack was already fully into his tailspin.

This, IMO, places the signifigance on the fact that the Yankees swept the Red Sox, not the box score itself. So that reverts back to the prior sweep, Aug 2006.

I don't think it can be seriously argued that this episode took place after Looking Glass (season 3 finale). Therefore, we are dealing with sloppy prop errors in this case or the prior case or both, in terms of the actual dates given.

The explanation given from the producers on the coffin man article, in relationship to the details given, was that it was just a prop. So, go figure.

They KNOW that people look this shit up, that's a frustrating one.

For Horace Goodspeed, I think what could happen next week is:

"previously on Lost....." then they may need to show the choice scenes from 'Man Behind the Curtain' to bring everybody back up to speed on who he was. Perhaps this is the reason they put him in the promo, to let people start bringing him back up.

lazarus said:

In response to your question, yeah, I think Jack does know his relationship to Aaron. I don't think his line "You're not even related to him!" is just a red herring. No one would phrase it like that if they didn't know. And we have four episodes left for Jack to figure out this connection. No way Claire and/or Christian aren't showing up again to drop the bomb.

One last thing: Where (and who) the hell is Richard Alpert? That's a huge dangling question mark that really should be addressed this season.

I guess the reason Jack didn't want to have anything to do with Aaron at first was precisely because he knew and he felt guilty.

I sure wish Jack would have a fucking conversation with his old man already. We saw zombie Christian in episode 3 or 4? of the entire series and Jack still hasn't managed to talk to him. Yeah, be patient, I know. These next few episodes are going to be balls out.

As for Alpert, the producers said they intended for him to be big this season but since he was just a recurring character, he went off and signed to do that CBS series fulltime. When they went into production last fall, he was tied up, so all of the Others have been at the Temple this whole time.

The only thing the writers strike really did for us was make him available. I don't know for sure he's going to appear but I'd bet he does in some manner. They can't go the whole season and not show us the whole pack of Others.

On a similar note, I thought it was curious/very cool that the Ben-Widmore scene at the end of 'Shape of Things to Come' was filmed in London because Alan Dale (Widmore) was shooting a play there. I had read an article during the strike that 3 of their recurring actors were tied up with other projects and they were very worried about it. So, they got Widmore and I think because Nestor Carbonell's series has been put on hold, they'll get Alpert.
I am not positive who the 3rd one is? Maybe it was the Green Mile dude/Goodspeed.

Is there a chance, that some are alive and some are dead?

I remember being so very made when Ecko died. I kept saying, why did they kill him a week after the polar bear got him. It made no sense.

Was he already dead and they did not realize it?

I also thought it weird that Claire was not dead after the building got hit with the missile. Yet here she is claimed by the island a week later.

Miles says to her "Do you want a hand with the baby? I am good with kids." The major theme surrounding her is who should be taking care of Aaron.

My wife has a theory that only Dead people can talk to Jacob.
- We see Jack's Dad in the cabin. We see John Communicating with him. We see Hurley (anyone have any idea when Hurley may have died in the show?)

If they are all dead - and they get off the island - is the Island trying to bring them back?

Is smokey trying to get them one by one - and it is delayed in achieving the capture of them based on some weird stregnth of character?

Did we just see Jack die getting his appendix out?

Arrrrghhhhh

How did the soldiers survive smokey? Becuase they are not already dead?

Smokey can only kill those who are already dead? Claimer of lost souls?

Hmmmmmm - Lock was onece grabbed by smokey yet released.....I am coinfunsing myselgf.

VintagePunk said:
I'm not getting the significance of the tattoos, either.

I had to look at the Hurley/Kate picture for a minute to realize the significance, and then I looked like this -----> :ohmy:

Is Hurley something to do with the thing that Kate is doing for Sawyer?

Thanks for posting, Mrs. S.

Deep, re: the smoke detector, I saw someone speculate on another board that it might have something to do with smoke detector ---> Smokey ---> Christian Shephard

The only thing that matters to Sawyer off the island is his kid (that he never knew, so he said, no?). Could Kate be doing something for the girl? And is the mother of this girl the same woman Kate was with in a prior flashback, with the bogus jewellery? I can't recall the episode where Sawyer talked of his child.

My newest theory is that Penny's crew she is sending are going to appear soon. The 6 who get off must be rescued from the freighter, rather than the island, right? Why would a rescue only take 6 of them? The helicopter can only carry 6 people or so, and so far that is Sayid, (Desmond isn't included as a '6'), and then Kate, Jack, et al. Also Jin has ensured that Sun will be on the helicopter as soon as it leaves the island to take them back to the freighter. Penny's crew in the ice had found the signal from the island many seasons ago, but that little bit has been forgotten like so many more 'bits'. I'm really thinking Penny is going to become very crucial very soon. The stage is set for the showdown between Neighbours Jim (Widmore) and Linus, but does Widmore realise he and Penny are chasing the same thing? Does Penny know what her father is doing?

So many questions. Sigh.

The writers constantly promise answers to all questions before the show ends via podcast. I just hope they make good on there promise and the answers are not lame.

Angela Harlem said:

The only thing that matters to Sawyer off the island is his kid (that he never knew, so he said, no?). Could Kate be doing something for the girl? And is the mother of this girl the same woman Kate was with in a prior flashback, with the bogus jewellery? I can't recall the episode where Sawyer talked of his child.

I think that's a strong possibility, and yes, that's the woman who is Sawyer's baby mama.

I was just looking for a way to link the artwork that was on Kate's refrigerator to what was seen at the facility that Hurley is in. I think it's feasible that Sawyer might want Kate to "look after" Hurley, since the two of them have forged a bond on the island.

I forgot to mention, the scene where Jack was with Hurley and Hurley was crying was fucking heartbreaking. :( Of all the people on the island, Hurley is one of my favourite characters, and I most want him to be okay when the series concludes.

Carmelu2fan said:
The writers constantly promise answers to all questions before the show ends via podcast. I just hope they make good on there promise and the answers are not lame.

Amen. :up:

VintagePunk said:
I was just looking for a way to link the artwork that was on Kate's refrigerator to what was seen at the facility that Hurley is in. I think it's feasible that Sawyer might want Kate to "look after" Hurley, since the two of them have forged a bond on the island.

I am 50 and I have 15+ nieces and nephews and the only way we have the same exact pattern on things that are 1000s of miles apart and separated by time is when ?????

oh yeah,
these things do not happen unless they are from the point of view of one consciousness
or at most, a shared consciousness

deep said:

I am 50 and I have 15+ nieces and nephews and the only way we have the same exact pattern on things that are 1000s of miles apart and separated by time is when ?????

oh yeah,
these things do not happen unless they are from the point of view of one consciousness
or at most, a shared consciousness

Oh Deep, you ol' cynic, you. :wink:

I'm aware that there are strong similarities in the kinds of artwork that young children do. Maybe all first grade teachers share the same teaching guides for art? Whatever. I just think it's odd that the exact same pieces of artwork that were on the wall of Hurley's facility were also on Kate's fridge. It's possible that the set designers got lazy and said "okay, Kate's got a 3 yr old, let's slap the same stuff up there that we used for Hurley's asylum." But probable? I don't know. Especially since they are known for inserting signs like this for viewers to puzzle over. I'm sure some of these insertions are meaningless and unintentional, and some might be intentional and meant to throw us off, but others probably do have some significance.

VintagePunk said:
I'm aware that there are strong similarities in the kinds of artwork that young children do. Maybe all first grade teachers share the same teaching guides for art? Whatever. I just think it's odd that the exact same pieces of artwork that were on the wall of Hurley's facility were also on Kate's fridge. It's possible that the set designers got lazy and said "okay, Kate's got a 3 yr old, let's slap the same stuff up there that we used for Hurley's asylum." But probable? I don't know. Especially since they are known for inserting signs like this for viewers to puzzle over. I'm sure some of these insertions are meaningless and unintentional, and some might be intentional and meant to throw us off, but others probably do have some significance.

deep said:
the writers are throwing these little "tidbits" that everyone is focusing on, as a distraction

do you really think they got lazy?
or could not afford more design materials

or are they giving clues "in plain sight" that we are in "the matrix".

haha I thought the same thing about the set designers :lol:

but...I would NEVER have notided the art work on the fridge and in the hospital were the same had someone not posted the pictures here...so I would guess it is either the direstors are playing around with us viewers or it is a clue of some sort:shrug:

Daddysgonnapay said:
haha ... it is a clue of some sort:shrug:

A clue, what could it mean?

polar bears in comic books, polar bears on the island?

an altered state of consciousness, therefore, one point of view, and therefore the same patterns, people, images, etc

deep said:

do you really think they got lazy?
or could not afford more design materials

or are they giving clues "in plain sight" that we are in "the matrix".

I tend to think that no, it's not the case of lazy set design, that's just a possibility, an unlikely one imo, that I was throwing out for you.

I guess you're referring to the overall plot/solution to the mysteries of the island and characters overall, when you're asking about the Matrix/consciousness thing? While that theory is kind of cool, it doesn't really appeal to me that much. Having a simple, pat explanation for everything that's occurred somehow feels cheap to me. Sort of like the "everyone's dead" theory, that the producers have already discounted.

So what do I think it is, then? I got nothin' here. In a very general sense, I think it'll play out to be some combination of island magic (possibly geologic or man-made in nature, or a combination of both, with respect to the magnetic field), with elements of the supernatural maybe (Jacob, the appearance of ghosts, etc) and a battle between Dharma, Ben and Widmore for control of the island, with the various factions inserting their own safeguards that will protect their own group and the island from the other groups, with the Losties all caught in the middle, and manipulated by each of the factions.

Like I said, not much here. I'm mostly just enjoying the ride.

Daddysgonnapay said:
haha I thought the same thing about the set designers :lol:

but...I would NEVER have notided the art work on the fridge and in the hospital were the same had someone not posted the pictures here...so I would guess it is either the direstors are playing around with us viewers or it is a clue of some sort:shrug:

I totally wouldn't have noticed, either.

Last edited:
VintagePunk said:
I guess you're referring to the overall plot/solution to the mysteries of the island and characters overall, when you're asking about the Matrix/consciousness thing? While that theory is kind of cool, it doesn't really appeal to me that much. Having a simple, pat explanation for everything that's occurred somehow feels cheap to me. Sort of like the "everyone's dead" theory, that the producers have already discounted.

I don't think it is like St. Elsewhere where none of it was real

One thing I am very certain about is that these are not all "real" events and "real live" people.

The Island would have to be too magical for me to buy it.

and we did have that episode where Desmond was time shifting, one minute here, the next in england in a different decade :huh:

and we have had people seeing things, Kate, a horse, Jack, his father, Locke, his father, that only pertain to them.
We have Hurley off the Island saying none of this is real?
and Jack seeing things off the magic Island, too?

I am thinking some of these people are alive and some are not.

some know each other and have interacted with each other

My guess is something like around 5 or 6 of these people are real and have a relationship to each other in the "real"world.

I am liking the ride, too.

All the writers have to do is cover their tracks, when the big "reveal" happens.
We will all look back and say "oh yeah, that works"

Last edited:
Last episode...

***The first moment of the show - when the focus is on Jack's eye and you hear a voice say, "Jack"....and then the same voice says it again, "Jack!!".

And then a third time, "Jack".

The voice the first two times we hear it - is KATE.

The third time a woman says "Jack"...you SEE her say it (and only this time) it is said by JULIETTE.

But the first two times it is NOT Juliette...IT'S KATE (almost like Kate is trying to awaken Jack from a bad dream.)

Listen to it with headphones or a good stereo. It could be TPTB messing around but it could also mean something.

The day that Lost is usually on, it's like you're going on a date that night. You're excited, nervous, a little scared, and hoping that at the end of the night there's going to be a huge payoff, though sometimes you're just left with more questions.

lazarus said:
The day that Lost is usually on, it's like you're going on a date that night. You're excited, nervous, a little scared, and hoping that at the end of the night there's going to be a huge payoff, though sometimes you're just left with more questions.

:lol:

That's very true!

This episode should not leave you with blue balls.

I mean it LOOKS fucking bad ass from the promos.
Yeah, I know, they gotta be able to finish the deed.....

Looks like we get to find out something more about Dharma etc.

They need to unearth some of that fucking backstory.

Westport said:
Last episode...

***The first moment of the show - when the focus is on Jack's eye and you hear a voice say, "Jack"....and then the same voice says it again, "Jack!!".

And then a third time, "Jack".

The voice the first two times we hear it - is KATE.

The third time a woman says "Jack"...you SEE her say it (and only this time) it is said by JULIETTE.

But the first two times it is NOT Juliette...IT'S KATE (almost like Kate is trying to awaken Jack from a bad dream.)

Listen to it with headphones or a good stereo. It could be TPTB messing around but it could also mean something.

The first voice heard from the shower is Juliet as well.
Then boom! Kate.

Just trying to keep people guessing.
I don't think it means anything.

If you remember, when Sayid was shot during his flashforward and went to Ben, they changed his voice or Michael Emerson changed his own voice just at the first (the reveal) of that scene.

Last edited:
By the way, over on a Lost forum I frequent (the numbers forum) somebody posted an article/'blog item' that said Mira Furlan, the actress who played Danielle Rosseau wanted off the show for personal reasons.

Take it for what it's worth, I didn't follow the link which went to a site that isn't exactly 'spoiler-free' but the way people commented in the thread, sounded like it was a pretty credible report.

I don't think she had an axe to grind, probably just didn't think living in Hawaii full time was worth 15 seconds of screen time every 3 episodes. I'm just speculating.

They killed off Eko pretty quickly when he wanted off the show.
Maybe that's why both of their deaths didn't make a hell of a lot of sense. That's one thing that they have no control over.

Imagine if Matthew Fox wanted out early to do movies full time.
That would fuck up their storyline bigtime.
Would they get Robert Patrick to replace him? :wink:

So, anyway, here is to still hoping she offers to come back for a future flashback episode.

Well, there was a lot of cool mythology stuff in this episode, but it didn't really have the self-contained arcs of some of the better ones.

This island storyline didn't really build up much tension, either. It would have been more interesting if there had been peril along the way to the cabin, instead of just some treasure hunt. Luckily, suspense was provided by what was happening on the freighter.

Anyway, the reveal at the end was cool, if a little obvious and expected. And Locke's final line just made me shrug. Okay, so what?

I love Locke, so I loved it, although they sort of limped out of a great mythology episode on that final scene.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
I love Locke, so I loved it, although they sort of limped out of a great mythology episode on that final scene.

I like Locke a lot, too, and it was cool to see those early puzzle pieces, but the payoff just wasn't really there.

We really should have been given more dialogue in that cabin. Very cheap move by the writers. Locke should have whipped out his gun and demanded answers.

I'm still undecided on this episode until I watch it again.

It was obvious who was in the chair in the cabin, the play of light on his face was just cheesy.

The most interesting character for me right now is Richard Alpert.

I thought it was awesome! Next week looks incredible! :drool:

It was cool to see the connections between people in the flashbacks. The dude who went to see Hurley in the institution (forget his name) was also with Locke in that hospital. Innnteresting...

I agree beegee - Richard Alpert is definitely very interesting right now.

Claire looked pretty out of it in the cabin. I'm curious to see what's going to happen to her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom