MERGED-->live from New Jersey, the case for coldplay - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 04:55 PM
Anyone seeing Coldplay this weekend?

I have tickets for Saturday (East Rutherford) and Sunday (Uniondale).

"My song is love,"

Anu

Old 03-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 11:55 AM
Well i'm seeing them tonight in Toronto if that counts for anything

Old 03-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by loverippedaway
Well i'm seeing them tonight in Toronto if that counts for anything
Enjoy being on a DVD
Old 03-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:55 PM
I'm seeing them on Saturday
Old 03-23-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Hey Circa!!!

Where's your seat?--I'm at the back of the floor.

Where are the pre and post parties in E. Rutherford?

Do people go to Coldplay shows early and try to meet the band like they do for U2 shows?

Does Chris Martin come out and meet people?

I'm seeing them Saturday and Sunday.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Hey!!! We have horrible seats......I don't know where though

I don't know the answer to any of you questions, I'm sorry I've never been to a Coldplay concert before

Sorry I'm not much of a help.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

look out for nude 84 year old women...
Old 03-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

My friend is going to the Uniondale show.

I'm jealous.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:55 AM
I'm going next Thursday and Friday.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

haha... preparties in east rutheford. that's funny.

if you've never been there before, the meadowlands are in the middle of a swamp. any bars/resturants in the area are certainly not within walking distance. it's amazing that the complex can be so close to manhattan yet so far away from civilization at the same time.

if you're going to the show at the nassau coliseum, then you're in luck. the coliseum is across the street from hofstra university, so there are quite a few college bars in the immediate area, and there's a marriott with a bar in it in the same complex.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #11
Anu
Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
haha... preparties in east rutheford. that's funny.

if you've never been there before, the meadowlands are in the middle of a swamp. any bars/resturants in the area are certainly not within walking distance. it's amazing that the complex can be so close to manhattan yet so far away from civilization at the same time.
I just checked into my room across the road from the Meadowlands complex. It took me at least a 1/2 hour of circling and exiting to even find my hotel. Then, there's this hideous construction mess surrounding the gig. So, I'm having my own pre-party in my room.

Maybe I'll catch up with some Coldplay fans tomorrow night.

Let's see how the show turns out. Listening to the Live 8 sets now.

Richard A. and Chris M. !!!!!

Anu
Old 03-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'll be there tonight at Continental, just picked up a good ticket last night (early this morning technically) in Sec 120 at TM. I'm actually more psyched about Richard Ashcroft than Coldplay this time around since I saw them at MSG last September. Anyway, must get dressed now...
Old 03-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pop Artist
I'll be there tonight at Continental, just picked up a good ticket last night (early this morning technically) in Sec 120 at TM. I'm actually more psyched about Richard Ashcroft than Coldplay this time around since I saw them at MSG last September. Anyway, must get dressed now...
I missed them when they were in town this week. I was really hoping to see Richard.. My brother said he was amazing.. enjoy
Old 03-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #14
Anu
Editor

live from New Jersey, the case for coldplay

Coldplay, Continental Airlines Arena, aka The Meadowlands
25 March 2006

Last year, Jon Pareles wrote an article for the New York Times called “The Case Against Coldplay” where he called them “the most insufferable band of the decade.” Last night, I went to his neighborhood (northern New Jersey, to be exact) to witness the case for Coldplay.

While I never thought I’d share so much spiritual geography with teenage girls and emo rockers, it seems like that it’s exactly that kind of “guilt by association” that turns Mr. Parales sour. While he doesn’t like what Coldplay does, he clearly realizes that they’re good at it.

Witness this impeccable prose: “It's not for lack of skill. The band proffers melodies as imposing as Romanesque architecture, solid and symmetrical. Martin on keyboards, Jonny Buckland on guitar, Guy Berryman on bass and Will Champion on drums have mastered all the mechanics of pop songwriting, from the instrumental hook that announces nearly every song they've recorded to the reassurance of a chorus to the revitalizing contrast of a bridge. Their arrangements ascend and surge, measuring out the song's yearning and tension, cresting and easing back and then moving toward a chiming resolution. Coldplay is meticulously unified, and its songs have been rigorously cleared of anything that distracts from the musical drama.”

No, it’s the emo effect that gets this critic’s goat. It’s Chris Martin and his lyrics: “I hear a passive-aggressive blowhard, immoderately proud as he flaunts humility. ‘I feel low,’ he announces in the chorus of ‘Low,’ belied by the peak of a crescendo that couldn't be more triumphant about it.”

While it was an epic and eternal sound that sucked my brain on the first listen to “Clocks,” the spirit of the project kept me. Emotion truly pulled me to Coldplay and kept pulling me. My first emo band. In such an intensely miserable world, it’s this cozy component of Chris Martin’s sensibility that makes a Coldplay concert a kind of postmodern love-in. I still like my anger in folk, punk, and hip-hop, but sometimes such ranting can leave me cold. Coldplay makes me warm and wet. People of all ages, arms waving, hearts swelling, vocal chords wailing: we are in this fucking together, and we want more. Now, some people get that buzz at church or singing the Star Spangled Banner at football games. But for those of us unable to access too much religion or patriotism, we have rock and roll. And of those rare and bombastic and hokey enough to try transforming a hockey arena into a homey happenin’ hoedown, Coldplay has come to the top of their crowd and can draw the crowd.

Northern New Jersey is a kind of example of why modernity might have been a bad idea, an exurban unimpressive pavement monster. Just finding my hotel room and getting to the show were a chore. But once in the parking lot, with the Amstel Light and Dominican rum warming the hears of the hospitable tailgaters I happened upon, the beauty of the pre-concert communion shed my doubts about why I’d traveled so far again—just to see a band. While some of my friends are baffled by my devotion, my new friends were just impressed. They had the same infection as me and completely understood. The etymology of the word “fan” (from the root fanatic) is instructive here. I’m a fan in the true sense. Two nights of Coldplay equals my March madness. There’s more to say about last night, but it’s time to get ready for tonight, with Ashcroft onstage in less than two hours!!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

I find it interesting that in your review, you call Coldplay your "first emo band." Coldplay isn't an emo band in the genre sense, that would line them up next to Death Cab, Dashboard and recent bands Fall Out Boy and screamo monsters My Chemical Romance.

Is your use of emo in relation to Coldplay strictly for the term "emotional" or because you are placing Coldplay in the emo genre?