MERGED-->live from New Jersey, the case for coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HelloAngel said:

Matisyahu is actually considered part of the reggae genre now. Coldplay has never been called emo, though.

Since you're using the passive voice Carrie, it's unclear who considers M. part of the reggae genre?

A hip-hop-infused Dancehall sound with strong rock influences, yes.

Is it reggae in the Peter Tosh or Bob Marley sense? I doubt it.

Now, I never intended to call Coldplay emo in the literal sense. They're obviously not.

But in a rock act more from the U2/Beatles/Radiohead cloth, they have a really strong "emo" sensibility, that's all.

Anu

Anu said:

Since you're using the passive voice Carrie, it's unclear who considers M. part of the reggae genre?

A hip-hop-infused Dancehall sound with strong rock influences, yes.

Is it reggae in the Peter Tosh or Bob Marley sense? I doubt it.

Now, I never intended to call Coldplay emo in the literal sense. They're obviously not.

But in a rock act more from the U2/Beatles/Radiohead cloth, they have a really strong "emo" sensibility, that's all.

Anu

The industry considers him part of the reggae genre... dancehall is under the larger reggae umbrella. Well, according to marketing and label folks.

Not everyone in a genre fits into a stringent guideline of this person is reggae, and this person is not. There's plenty of room in reggae for people that aren't of the more classic mold of Tosh and Marley. Hell, we could even get into Beenie Man.

I think others are trying to make it seem like I'm inciting a shitstorm or bitchfest here. I'm not. I'm just enjoying a lively music discussion. Your use of "emo" interested me, that's all. Are you meaning "emo" is in Coldplay makes 'emotional' music or "emo" as in they have more in common with emo bands?

I'm just interested, that's all.

now i'm kind of curious about matisyahu. judging from all the people i'd noticed that were suddenly saying it was great music, i figured it was just another indie rock band that would fade away in a few months.

HelloAngel said:

Are you meaning "emo" is in Coldplay makes 'emotional' music or "emo" as in they have more in common with emo bands?

I'm just interested, that's all.

Cool. I definitely mean this in the first sense.

As I called them "my first emo band," this refers to the fact that I have avoided the "emo" genre proper, sadly accepting some of the more pejorative swipes I've heard people make.

I'm interested in that NY Times Coldplay critique because it seems like the writer's Coldplay-bashing reminds me of all the emo-bashing I've seen over the years.

So, will record stores file M.'s CD's under "reggae"? It seems that they'll put him with pop-rock, since that's the crowd mostly into him, no?

Yes, the genre-bending thing is trippy these days. Add to that Bill Laswell producing and M's spirit-focused lyrics making him almost like Christian Rock.

Very interesting discussion indeed.

Anu

Anu said:

Cool. I definitely mean this in the first sense.

As I called them "my first emo band," this refers to the fact that I have avoided the "emo" genre proper, sadly accepting some of the more pejorative swipes I've heard people make.

I'm interested in that NY Times Coldplay critique because it seems like the writer's Coldplay-bashing reminds me of all the emo-bashing I've seen over the years.

So, will record stores file M.'s CD's under "reggae"? It seems that they'll put him with pop-rock, since that's the crowd mostly into him, no?

Yes, the genre-bending thing is trippy these days. Add to that Bill Laswell producing and M's spirit-focused lyrics making him almost like Christian Rock.

Very interesting discussion indeed.

Anu

I wouldn't say you're missing much with the "emo" genre because it mainly appeals to the kids. It's music for adolescents by people who are barely out of adolescence.

I've seen record stores here in New York file Matisyahu under reggae and dancehall.

I wouldn't say that the pop-rock crowd is more into Matisyahu than others. He is getting reggae airplay. He is getting big time respect. He's playing earthy hippy dippy festivals.

He's Hasidic, and that is the only reason he is getting lots of media attention these days - the anomole of a Hasidic orthodox jew playing reggae music and being good at it.

Had a great time in New York, even though I had a rental car when I wanted wings, and while the construction around the Meadowlands was ugly, I had a great time at both venues, in terms of people and vibes.

The beer lines were much shorter on a Sunday night, and parking was cheaper at Nassau.

Back
Top Bottom