MERGED-->live from New Jersey, the case for coldplay - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2006, 08:59 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
elevation2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: corner of Badlands & Magnolia Mountain
Posts: 5,371
Local Time: 03:38 AM
__________________

__________________
elevation2u is offline  
Old 03-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #32
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel


Matisyahu is actually considered part of the reggae genre now. Coldplay has never been called emo, though.
Since you're using the passive voice Carrie, it's unclear who considers M. part of the reggae genre?

A hip-hop-infused Dancehall sound with strong rock influences, yes.

Is it reggae in the Peter Tosh or Bob Marley sense? I doubt it.

Now, I never intended to call Coldplay emo in the literal sense. They're obviously not.

But in a rock act more from the U2/Beatles/Radiohead cloth, they have a really strong "emo" sensibility, that's all.

Anu
__________________

__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline  
Old 03-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life
 
HelloAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: new york city
Posts: 14,534
Local Time: 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu


Since you're using the passive voice Carrie, it's unclear who considers M. part of the reggae genre?

A hip-hop-infused Dancehall sound with strong rock influences, yes.

Is it reggae in the Peter Tosh or Bob Marley sense? I doubt it.

Now, I never intended to call Coldplay emo in the literal sense. They're obviously not.

But in a rock act more from the U2/Beatles/Radiohead cloth, they have a really strong "emo" sensibility, that's all.

Anu
The industry considers him part of the reggae genre... dancehall is under the larger reggae umbrella. Well, according to marketing and label folks.

Not everyone in a genre fits into a stringent guideline of this person is reggae, and this person is not. There's plenty of room in reggae for people that aren't of the more classic mold of Tosh and Marley. Hell, we could even get into Beenie Man.

I think others are trying to make it seem like I'm inciting a shitstorm or bitchfest here. I'm not. I'm just enjoying a lively music discussion. Your use of "emo" interested me, that's all. Are you meaning "emo" is in Coldplay makes 'emotional' music or "emo" as in they have more in common with emo bands?

I'm just interested, that's all.
__________________
HelloAngel is offline  
Old 03-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,505
Local Time: 07:38 AM
now i'm kind of curious about matisyahu. judging from all the people i'd noticed that were suddenly saying it was great music, i figured it was just another indie rock band that would fade away in a few months.
__________________
IWasBored is offline  
Old 03-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #35
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

Are you meaning "emo" is in Coldplay makes 'emotional' music or "emo" as in they have more in common with emo bands?

I'm just interested, that's all.
Cool. I definitely mean this in the first sense.

As I called them "my first emo band," this refers to the fact that I have avoided the "emo" genre proper, sadly accepting some of the more pejorative swipes I've heard people make.

I'm interested in that NY Times Coldplay critique because it seems like the writer's Coldplay-bashing reminds me of all the emo-bashing I've seen over the years.

So, will record stores file M.'s CD's under "reggae"? It seems that they'll put him with pop-rock, since that's the crowd mostly into him, no?

Yes, the genre-bending thing is trippy these days. Add to that Bill Laswell producing and M's spirit-focused lyrics making him almost like Christian Rock.

Very interesting discussion indeed.

Anu
__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline  
Old 03-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life
 
HelloAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: new york city
Posts: 14,534
Local Time: 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu


Cool. I definitely mean this in the first sense.

As I called them "my first emo band," this refers to the fact that I have avoided the "emo" genre proper, sadly accepting some of the more pejorative swipes I've heard people make.

I'm interested in that NY Times Coldplay critique because it seems like the writer's Coldplay-bashing reminds me of all the emo-bashing I've seen over the years.

So, will record stores file M.'s CD's under "reggae"? It seems that they'll put him with pop-rock, since that's the crowd mostly into him, no?

Yes, the genre-bending thing is trippy these days. Add to that Bill Laswell producing and M's spirit-focused lyrics making him almost like Christian Rock.

Very interesting discussion indeed.

Anu
I wouldn't say you're missing much with the "emo" genre because it mainly appeals to the kids. It's music for adolescents by people who are barely out of adolescence.

I've seen record stores here in New York file Matisyahu under reggae and dancehall.

I wouldn't say that the pop-rock crowd is more into Matisyahu than others. He is getting reggae airplay. He is getting big time respect. He's playing earthy hippy dippy festivals.

He's Hasidic, and that is the only reason he is getting lots of media attention these days - the anomole of a Hasidic orthodox jew playing reggae music and being good at it.
__________________
HelloAngel is offline  
Old 03-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #37
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel


He's playing earthy hippy dippy festivals.

being good at it.
I'm thinking about Bonnaroo a lot; may go for Radiohead, Matisyahu, My Morning Jacket, and many many others . . .

I live so close and have never been.

A.
__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline  
Old 03-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,464
Local Time: 06:38 AM
how'd you enjoy our little shit hole known as the nassau coliseum?
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 03-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #39
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 11:38 AM
Had a great time in New York, even though I had a rental car when I wanted wings, and while the construction around the Meadowlands was ugly, I had a great time at both venues, in terms of people and vibes.

The beer lines were much shorter on a Sunday night, and parking was cheaper at Nassau.
__________________

__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com