MERGED-->Let's talk about Johnny Cash + Cash's "Hurt" Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mug222

War Child
Let's talk about Johnny Cash

I went through a bit of rediscovery of Johnny Cash this weekend. What a fucking terrific poet/singer/songwriter/man. At this moment I'm so obsessed with Cash that I might argue that his version of 'One' surpasses U2's version...

So do you love him? Favorite albums? As much as I've always loved "At Folsom Prison," I think "Solitary Man" (third in his "American" series) might be his best work...

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

You wouldn't happen to have an mp3 of his version of One, would ya? :)

I do indeed. What's you AIM screenname? I'll send it when I get home this afternoon...

Cash is great. I've got "Solitary Man," "16 Biggest Hits" and "Johnny Cash at San Quentin" - not a big collection but enough to keep me happy.

Solitary Man - I dig 'Country Trash' - just a fun little song and a JC original.

On the greatest hits disk I discovered "One Piece at a Time" which is a kickass old song -- really funny and it jams too. Johnny is such a great storyteller.

It always amuses me when, in "Folsum Prison Blues," Cash sings "..but I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die," and it elicits a WOOOHOO from one of the inmates in the audience. :lmao:

I got into Western Swing/Rockabilly like 3 years ago and that's how I got into Cash. I think the local bands idolize JC -- one band in particular does a good version of "Ring of Fire." The local live Western Swing/RAB scene brought me to Cash and I discovered he jams. I hadn't really paid much attention to him before that.

Thanks to my Grandpa, I've been listening to JC since the early 70's when I was 3 or 4 years old. He was a huge fan and I inherited his collection of 8-tracks and vinyl.

I'm going to try to get to the Johnny Cash exhibit at the Nixon Library this week. All of the memorabilia has been collected by a fan and is supposed to be amazing.

Im a huge Cash fan too. Just finished reading Cash by JC. I enjoyed it thouroughly. I really am not a big fan his version of One however......:|

I was never much of a Johnny Cash fan until I heard his cover of Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus." It's not that I'm a Depeche Mode fan either - I just thought Cash's rendition of that song was amazing. Maybe I should start paying more attention to this guy.

Bono's shades said:
I was never much of a Johnny Cash fan until I heard his cover of Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus." It's not that I'm a Depeche Mode fan either - I just thought Cash's rendition of that song was amazing. Maybe I should start paying more attention to this guy.

yeah! that was really cool...and john frusciante does acoustic guitar on it as well

how about nin's "hurt"?? that just really surprised me...

I almost posted about this at the time..but thought..nah , who here

cares about Johnny Cash? I'm glad to see some do.
each Christams when I was kid, mum would say" get me a piece of sheet music and get dad a record ( she meant a single, all I could afford) I bought him "Sunday Morning Comin' Down" .What lyrics, what a mood he creates.." ..my cleanest dirty shirt...it took me back to something, i'd lost somehow, somewhere along the way...there's something in a Sunday...":sad:
The Carter family were special too, I love it when families perform together.
But my recent "good score" I almost posted about?I found the double vinyl of "The Gospel Road" A story of Jesus, Told and Sung by Johnny Cash.....a treasure imho. I've only has time to listen to one of the records, I might tape it and take it home for Christmas. So far I love the song "Follow Me" sung by June Carter Cash and the narration. Johnny has one smooooooooooooth voice. Other guests on the album are Kris Kristofferson, Rita Coolidge, and the Statler Brothers.
My sister and I used to sing Burning Ring of Fire and fall about laughing. One of my g'friends who likes a singsong does a mean version of Folsom Prison Blues...kind of. Dad has some of his albums, I've spent hours been taping some of mum and dad's singles(anyone heard of grady martin and the slew foot five?) and old ones of mine" the swinging blue jeans" joseph hill, ray colombus and the invaders....... woohooo.

Johnny Cash has earned his place...I wish him peace.

so i'm at Virgin today flipping through books on Johnny Cash and I learned a few things....

Namely, he freakin' played the VIPER ROOM in L.A. in 1992! JOHNNY FREAKIN' CASH in a small club. Where was I?????? Why wasn't I there????? :| :huh: Apparently the Indie Rock scene and Gen X'ers rediscovered him in the early 90's.

And...... AND..he played L.A. again just 5 years ago!

It's also interesting to note that, according to what I read, JC's career was on the wane in the 80's and he was playing county fairs and at least one high school auditorium on one of his tours.

He says in his autobiography that he contractually owed CBS one final record on a contract he had in the 80's and he purposely made the most atrociously bad album he could make, entitled "Man in a Chicken Suit." Damn I want that album.

man in a chicken suit? if I find it in my travels...

pubcrawler...it's yours:yes:
I returned my mum's collection of singles on Christmas Eve and couldn't resist a peek at their vinyl LP's. ( sh'es getting morbib saying things like.."who'll want my music when I die? no one!!" oh mamma, how wrong you are.
Anyway I snaffled "Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two - Story Songs of the Trains and Rivers" to bring home to tape onto cassette.) He has a song called "Big River" and so does my friend Troy Cassar-Daley. We live in what is known as Big River Country( the Clarence Valley) nine feet high...and risin'. Cool.
I was checking out the el cheapo CD's in Big W yesterday and found treasure imho....for only $6.98,a bargain!!
"Johnny CASH- Super Hits" 10 terrific tracks, some of them LIVE....woohooooo, bravo.So now I know Kris Kristofferson wrote "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down" ( got lost in the music singing along to that one) and a great version of "Jackson" with his wife. I think Michael Hutchence did a version of that with Jenny Morris, not quite sure who that was..."we got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout...":mac: :sexywink:
But one I hadn't heard, and even my 17 year old son got a kick out of it...."One Piece At a Time" loveth it...."got no tail fin, honey do you want to go for a spin?" what year is it? well.... '57,'58, '59.....'60,'61...."
He must have had a TV show way back when...I think I recall watching it with my dad, the Carter Family featured a lot. Mum says dad hardly listens to music these days...that's sad. He needs a DJ to "hit pick" for him.
I listened to the rest of "The Gospel Road" the other day. Another song I like "Children" laughing little children.....

I actually had Cash on my list of baby names for boys at one stage. Yep...I quite like the man in black.....what have I ever done , to deserve even one, of the pleasures of known...what could I ever do, that was worthy of you, and the kindness you've shown...
Happy New Year music, johnnycashmusiclovers:wave:

Thanks, cass. :) Actually, I just bought JC's autobiography today and it turns out I had the "Chicken Suit" thing wrong. Cash actually recorded a song called "Chicken in Black," a self-parody, and it was released on vinyl, as a 7" single. I'm gonna try to find the mp3.

Oh, and I really dig "One Piece at a Time" as well. Fun storytelling and the ending jams. :up:

I just saw the video for his new song, 'Hurt' on Much Music the other day. It's one of the saddest songs I've ever heard! Beautiful, though. It kind of reminds me of 'Bad' in the way it builds with the drums and piano (as opposed to guitar, the way 'Bad' does).

For you that dont know, Hurt is a Nine Inch Nails song.

I saw the video last night too, my roommate loved it. He was a NIN fan back in the day.

017_PP0253.jpg

I love that man oh so much.

Huge fan of multiple songs "I've been everywhere" springs to mind at the moment...

Johnny Cash video for "Hurt"

Are you surprised to see this video being played on VH1!!!!!!!????

I think it's great to see old people (and I mean really old) mixed in with younger artists.

The song is incrediblably moving and the images from the video are hypnotic.

Re: Johnny Cash video for "Hurt"

Danospano said:
Are you surprised to see this video being played on VH1!!!!!!!????

I think it's great to see old people (and I mean really old) mixed in with younger artists.

The song is incrediblably moving and the images from the video are hypnotic.

totally agree. the video is brilliant. and johnny cash is the f-ing man!

Would we have ever seen the NIN version on VH1? Thats my question. Kinda seems like a double standard, its still the same lyrics, same song.

I am SO incredibly happy VH1 is showing the "Hurt" video! That is a huge step toward recognition of good, old-fashioned music.
If any should have a spot on a major music network it's Johnny Cash and I applaud their decision to play it.

Go Johnny! He's an inspiration, because he's been there and done that....and being 23 years old I find it comforting that a man like Cash can still find happiness and sorrow (i.e. "Hurt") this late in his life. It means that the older we get, the wiser we become. And I find this is relaxing. It means that Johnny knows about as much about life's answers as...heck.....Lil' Kim, or Creed, or U2. Wholly Shit! What an awesome revelation!!!!!!!!!!

Man! I always end up starting threads after someone else.

To the mods: I'm sorry about this and feel free to close it. Although, you can't have too many Johnny Cash threads can you? :)

As for the question about whether or not VH1 would have played the NIN version of the song: I doubt it, but who would have thought they'd play the Johnny Cash version? I can honestly say I'm more shocked they are playing the Man in Black.

Back
Top Bottom