MERGED-->Let's talk about Johnny Cash + Cash's "Hurt" Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2popmofo said:
Would we have ever seen the NIN version on VH1? Thats my question. Kinda seems like a double standard, its still the same lyrics, same song.

of course you wouldn't see it...we only see "closer" on things like "the top 50 videos most likely to gross you out" specials that vh1 seems to be so fond of airing over and over...and over and over...

Gickies Gageeze said:
well trent reznor is a bit creepy, there is no denying that.

Word.

I dont really even like NIN, I just think it's kind of a double standard to play the song if it's Johnny Cash.

I saw the "Hurt" video for the first time yesterday. Amazing. I am now officially obssessed with buying "The Man Comes Around."

Last edited:
well I'll have to wait to see/hear the "hurt" video on OzTV. I look forward to it.
It looks as though Queens of the Stoneage might be programming RAGE tomorrow night. At 1.30 am they play Beck's "Devil's Haircut" followed by Johnny Cash with "Orange Blossom Special" followed by Led Zeppelin"Rock and Roll". woohoo
I hope U2 program RAGE...one day. I wait.
I'm still waiting for Gangs of New York ( movie and Hands film clip) must be next week, soon.

PS: RAGE opens with Elvis Presley, The Beach Boys, The easybeats, The Beatles and THEN!!! two Bjork clips...some good songs thru the night...My Sharona..oh no
Hendris, ACDC , Bob Marley, Elvis Costello, Devo, Iggy Pop...it sounds good.
and one Johnny Cash song:)

For those who have been trying to catch the video on Vh1 or Mtv, I saw it the other day on CMT (Country Music Television, I guess, is what that stands for). I was frozen with the remote in my hand.

Johnny Cash rocks ass. And the "Hurt" video is so powerful. I was truly speechless. Kind of... :drool: :crack: :hyper: :bow: :combust:

I'm so attracted to all these people in here. Anyone who likes the Cash Man, is automatically getting bonus points :) lol.

Heartlandgirl, Larry Mullen's Pop Girl.....you're both on my gaaagaa list. ;)

screw elvis, screw dylan, screw lennon, screw jagger, screw bowie, screw bono, screw all of 'em... no one is a bigger bad ass... no one is cooler... than the man in black...

well... except for maybe this guy...

sinatra.jpg

Last edited:
Johnny Cash covers NIN

Sorry if someone has posted this before...but I just heard Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt."

And it's pretty good....

Has anyone else heard this yet?

u2popmofo said:

Word.

I dont really even like NIN, I just think it's kind of a double standard to play the song if it's Johnny Cash.

I'm not so sure if "double standard" is the most accurate terminology here. Johnny Cash being played on VH1 is not a shock to me - especially with such a bravado no-holds-barred take on a NIN anthem.. Also, Johnny Cash goes down better with the target Vh1 demographic: Faith Hill, Shania Twain-type fans; more so than a "creepy" NIN video would. Playing this video is an excellent way to grab viewers, and show hipsters that VH1 can have a slight edge.

From what I remember, NIN's "Hurt" was played "back in the day" on VH1 when the video first premiered, when The Downward Spiral was still popular, and NIN was on tour with David Bowie.. which was in 1995.

let's get this straight... johnny cash is a bigger bad ass motha:censored: than trent reznor and nine inch nails is, ever has been, or ever will be... i don't think there's any kind of double standard as far as nin's image. hurt was always a good song, but johnny cash with his version here just took it to a whole new level. and pleeeeeeease pleeeeease... don't put johnny cash in the same demographic as shania twain and faith hill... the only demographic the man in black should be in is along side the likes of elvis, dylan and sinatra

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
let's get this straight... johnny cash is a bigger bad ass motha:censored: than trent reznor and nine inch nails is, ever has been, or ever will be... i don't think there's any kind of double standard as far as nin's image. hurt was always a good song, but johnny cash with his version here just took it to a whole new level. and pleeeeeeease pleeeeease... don't put johnny cash in the same demographic as shania twain and faith hill... the only demographic the man in black should be in is along side the likes of elvis, dylan and sinatra

I meant demo in terms of viewers, not taste.

HeartlandGirl said:

Johnny Cash rocks ass. And the "Hurt" video is so powerful. I was truly speechless. Kind of... :drool: :crack: :hyper: :bow: :combust:

I just saw it for the first time...and yes, I am speechless. I have never choked up over a music video before. June Carter standing on the stairs behind him and the look on her face, the gold records broken on the floor, his shaky hands :sad: :(

I don't know if I can watch that again.

I just saw the ''Hurt'' video a few weeks ago and I have to admit, I sobbed and cried. I have only cried over one other music video and that is REM's ''Everybody Hurts''.

:sad:

Back
Top Bottom