MERGED ----> Keane 'Under The Iron Sea' has leaked + Keane - Under The Iron Sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miricale_Drug

War Child
Keane 'under the iron sea' leaked

and it rocks! have a look on mini nova. org

(remove the spaces)

Well, I see the one on mininova, but it doesn't seem to work.

And then there's another one going at torrentportal, but my stupid torrent client is too old for that one, and since I'm on a Mac that isn't 10.3, I can't upgrade. So that pisses me off...

:angry:

Haven't had a chance to listen to the entire thing yet, but I love 'Atlantic.'

Well, I've listened to it once now, and my initial impression is very good, but I think it misses the mark from being excellent.

I love the start. "Atlantic" is beautiful, dark and brooding. And obviously "Is It Any Wonder" is the most rocking thing they've ever done. But around the middle of the album, you do get a bit of duplication from the first album. It sounds very similar. It picks up again at the end - the last few songs are well done.

I guess my biggest complaint is this - after hearing "Is It Any Wonder" I was really hoping there were a couple of other songs that really kicked it in like that one, but unfortunately, they never reach that point again. "Put It Behind You" probably comes closest.

And someone tell me why "Let It Slide" is not on there? If that tune had at least been included, you'd have had another really good upbeat song sandwiched in the middle of the song order. I think it's a major mistake that it was left off.

It really is a good album, but I just came away thinking it could have been better. Perhaps a few more listens will change my mind.

I am kind of on the same page as you right now phanan. Even though it is good I can't help but feel a small bit disappointed. I guess I was expecting to hear more songs like Atlantic and Is It Any Wonder.

It is still good though and I'm sure it will grow with more listens.

The new release has been postponed again!! It is getting very difficult to not go out and seek this from a downloaded source.

And I've got their show next week and need to "study" the new songs! :mad:

Roland Deschain said:
I am kind of on the same page as you right now phanan. Even though it is good I can't help but feel a small bit disappointed. I guess I was expecting to hear more songs like Atlantic and Is It Any Wonder.

It is still good though and I'm sure it will grow with more listens.

yep, I listened once to the album and it wasn't as I hoped, but I think the songs will grow with more listens.

I gave it a first pass listen today on the way into work, and that crystal ball song grabbed my attention....I also was into that piano/synthy song prior ....looking forward to getting more into it....

I've listened to it about 6 times today. I haven't had the chance to really get into the songs (I need to hear them alone in the car so I have no distractions...except for actually driving).

But I agree on "Crystal Ball" (did anyone else notice the "everything I know is wrong" line?) and "Nothing In My Way." "The Frog Prince" is pretty great too. And I *love* Atlantic.

Great sophomore album!

I tried to get it from LimeWire a week ago and downloaded Spanish Ska?

wtfcoldplay?

EXCELLENT ALBUM:up: :heart: More interesting and with an wide open field of instruments this time :dancing:

Darker and heavier songs and sounds, balanced song selection, interesting melodies and compositions (I haven't pay attention to the lyrics yet, I have to translate them first :uhoh:. One of the aspects most I love is the development of songs, this time, more instrumental parts, some 6 minutes long numbers, etc.

Compared with the first album, this is a step foward:bow:

Hopes And Fears had excellent cuts, but in the end, given the simplicity of their wall of sound (without any guitar on the album) in the end it was a somewhat tiring listening :ohmy: This time I can listen to Under The Iron Sea complete:sad:

I LOVE when albums include hidden tracks and interesting tricks as this one.

I'm not going to make any cheap match between Keane and U2, or Keane and Coldplay. I don't care about that. Overall this is a stunning piece of music which explores new sounds, chords, and suites new musical directions for this wonderful group. This is not a "Revolver" album, but you can feel the passion and hungry for innovation. I really hope this guys won't do as Coldplay did with their lame and downhill third album, after a smashing second work A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

Remember when everybody pointed out that the second album is the counterpoint and test the band?. I think times have changed and now the THIRD album have become the most important test for a band. Radiohead blew away with their third album OK Computer, U2 made it with War, Coldplay went totally wrong with X & Y... I hope Keane will find the heaven on earth with their third album... let's wait 2 years or so ...

Totally recommended

:wave:

I was in the audience the first time 'Hamburg Song' was performed here in the States two Januarys ago. I loved it then and I love it now.

Keane - Under The Iron Sea

Hola Amigos :yes:

Two days Ago I got Keane - Under The Iron Sea :heart: and I have to say I was nicely impressed by the album. I'm proud to say I'm not the only one :up: . The critics about the album have been excellent, and the fans ratings and comments on amazon.com say it all :camera: . Here's one of the best reviews I've read from there:

Should you buy this CD?: A Review of UNDER THE IRON SEA, June 25, 2006
Reviewer: Liam F. (Melbourne, VIC Australia) - See all my reviews
Keane's HOPES AND FEARS won the Best British Album at the Brits, and got them attention even in the US when they got nominated for Grammy's Best New Artist (not an easy feat for a British band). It isn't easy at all to follow up such massive success. And here coems Keane's sophomore effort - UNDER THE IRON SEA. But does it match up to HOPES AND FEARS? If you went head over heels for HOPES AND FEARS, then chances are you had been waiting impatiently for the release of this one and would have the CD spinning right now. What if you do not own HOPES AND FEARS, or did not like it (which I find a little shocking)?

UTIS is essentially a rock record, leaning towards alternative. The CD opens with "Atlantic", which features a killer beat (albeit sinister sounding) that sets the tone for the rest of the CD. About 2 minutes and a bit more into this song, the melody completely takes on a new route, switching from melancholic and dangerous to almost angelic and peaceful. This, in my opinion, is sheer brilliance. We could go deeper by trying to analyze what message Keane is giving (a light among darkness?) but that's better left aside for now.

First single "Is It Any Wonder?" comes next. Once again, great beats - and no - THAT is NOT guitar; it is 'distorted piano' - a completely new sound that Keane has invented. This song is ferocoius, it rages forward like a full-speed train - and that's good. We have not heard anything like this from Keane before, and I'm glad they are not sticking to ONE formula (the one that worked in HOPES AND FEARS).

One of my favourite songs on the CD, "Nothing In My Way" is very poetic, and the "addictivity level" is at its peak when the song breaks into the chorus. You'll find yourself chanting along to it in no time at all. I'm also very keen on "A Bad Dream", catchy chorus, good beats and all. I believe the song that most are crazy about is "Crystal Ball" and I'm not surprised at all. This was the first song that jumped out at me and grabbed my attention on first listen - and I still like it. Very singable, very likeable - think "This Is The Last Time" and "Bend And Break" from HOPES AND FEARS. Nevertheless, Keane has not completely abandoned its piano stylings on this record - "Hamburg Song" features complete piano without frills. Peaceful and mystifying.

Having said all that, occassionally I do miss tracks like "Bedshaped" from HOPES AND FEARS. It's not completely absent on UTIS, but very little traces of such songs are to be found. Based on this, UTIS is a solid record and a great listen, but it does not evoke the general feel and melancholy of HOPES AND FEARS. Rather, UTIS ends up sounding rather urgent, as if it were a message of warning, and is undeniably much darker than HOPES AND FEARS. You can tell that Keane have had no desire to match HOPES AND FEARS at all, but rather let their creativity and surroundings take them to a place where genuine music and lyrics are born. UTIS is a remarkably excellent effort. And did I mention the great artwork for the cover? (The cover actually folds out into different layers of what lies UNDER THE IRON SEA - very clever, in my opinion).

The verdict? You should buy UTIS. Great melodies, thoughtful lyrics, crisp voice, immaculate production. It's one of the best CDs to hit the shelves this year.

Liam F.
26 June 2006

I want you to post your comments here, but please, do not start a U2 v/s Keane or Keane v/s Coldplay, Keane v/s Radiohead discussion.

Highly recommended, this record is the finest album I've ever heard Since Radiohead's Hail To The Thief

:heart:

PS: Glad that the guys are at number 1 in UK at this moment !!!!

tl;dr

But I have to say that UTIS is a great album. I hear snippets of it in my head sometimes, out of nowhere. Very likeable, very different from Hopes and Fears but still Keane-y enough to stick to their roots. :up:

And it's going for a steal at $8.99 this week at Best Buy. :mad:

Aaaaaaaaaaand I have to add that the cover art is the most amazing I've ever seen. I stared at it for like half an hour the other day. :bow: to the designer.

I just bought it the other day and was impressed.

I still don't understand half of what the guy is saying, but it sounds good :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I just bought it the other day and was impressed.

I still don't understand half of what the guy is saying, but it sounds good :up:

Lyrics are in the album booklet! :D

Yeah, I really like this album (actually better than Hopes & Fears)... though I have to be careful with "Hamburg Song" and "Crystal Ball" because I think I'm wearing them out!

I also really like "Atlantic" :yes: Hell, I like the whole album!

The booklet is cool as hell :love:

but the Centerfold-esque foldout is a bit annoying.

Well, to be honest after a few listens there are parts I can grab on to, but a lot of it is not sticking with me.

Not sure if it's the bouncier sound, or different production cues, or what. Hopefully it's a 'grower' album.

Back
Top Bottom