MERGED--> John from Cincinnati + Surf's Up - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #16
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
Local Time: 09:18 PM
I watched 4 or 5 episodes. Did anything ever happen other than Rebecca Mornay yelling at everyone?

I watched hoping that it would be similair to Deadwood in terms of dialogue and character development, but it didn't even come close from what I saw. Deadwood had a Shakespearean vibe to it with the soliliquies and flawed characters. The characters from John from Cinci were just boring. Meh. Oh well.

I hope they renew Flight of the Conchordes.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 08:18 PM
Thank God they're putting this show out of its misery.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 07:18 PM
I tried real hard

I am an episode or two behind

and I don't care to catch up on

on demand

as for the Deadwood connection

I absolutely saw it in some of the dialogue

they did have the same writers

it just sounded stilted and odd in present day context

it worked better in the late 1800s context, we bought it there,
even thought it was only a device,
because if you really wanted to know how people spoke back then,
a better representation would have been written letters, like the ones used in the Ken Burns documentaries

this show could have worked if they pushed it further out
and had it move faster something like twin peaks
Old 08-15-2007, 02:07 AM   #19
War Child
Local Time: 08:18 PM
I watched every epsiode and I don't even know what to say.

Ed O'Neill really needs to get back on a different show and do some drama. He really was very good on this show despite the strangeness of his character.

Bruce Greenwood, an otherwise very good and underrated actor was totally miscast and missused.

Rebecca Demornay, wanted to punch her in the face.

The rest of the cast, well, that dude from Sex and the City is intollerable, John was likeable and seemed to fit the bill, whatever the fuck it was. The Hawaiian was kind of interesting, outside of that, the rest of the cast was pretty uneventful, not neccessarily bad (outside of the kid) but too convultued. I did like the doctor as well now that I think about it.

My feelings on the show itself, well, hard to say.
Part of me was entertained and mostly curious enough to watch every episode (I always watch HBO on Sunday anyhow) and I think had the dialogue not been so overtly odd and we had seen more of a serious plot develop rather than what turned out to be some pretty pretentious moments, it might have been a pretty cool show.

As is, it kept spiraling down that valley. It had all the intrigue to suck you in but then it kep trying to sell you on some mystery and power and the fucking dialogue was just ridiculous at times. I mean, even outside of John's parrot talk.

HBO is just all over the place these days, seems to becoming more 'networky', in my opinion, HBO itself jumped the shark when they cancelled Carnivale, which was the finest example of how to make a strange series payoff and then BOOM, cancelled. What a great fucking show that was. No, we need 10 hours of Rome, how enthralling! Now, down the networky redundancy trail, Flight of the Conchords, which is funny but if it's not CYE/Extras with Kiwis doing Tenacious D, then I don't know what it is. That's what I mean by networky. A bit cookie-cutter. John From Cincinatti was supposed to be a Carnivale-esque show, cheaper to film, although critics liked Carnivale and seemed to rape this show.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #20
love, blood, life
No Mas!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:18 PM
I'm not surprised it was cancelled. I watched every show, not really enjoying it to be honest. I had invested that much into it I just wanted to know what the hell it was about!

Cancelled, I still dont know what the hell it was about! I'm glad HBO put it out of its misery. But I would still like to know what the point was at least suppose to be and what was going on. Why HBO cancelled Deadwood and put this on instead is beyond belief to me.

I have enjoyed most shows on HBO, but this one I did not. I still like Entourage and I even watch Big Love (odd, but sort of interesting) but thats about it now.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier
Apparently I'm the only one who liked this. I just finished Episode 9 and I'm sad there's only 1 left. It's getting rather Twin Peaks at this point.

You have to admire a show that is trying something different, though I understand the frustration of the viewer. Though I struggled along with everyone to figure out what the point was, I found the dialogue well-written and hilarious, and most of the characters compelling enough to keep watching. I would maybe lose the two greasy bald guys, but that's about it.

Whether there's something truly profound going on here may require repeat viewings, but I don't get the sense the creators are just fucking around for the hell of it.