MERGED--> Joe Strummer has passed + RIP Joe Strummer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparkysgrrrl

War Child
Joe Strummer has passed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2600669.stm

Monday, 23 December, 2002, 10:02 GMT
Clash star Strummer dies

The Clash in their heyday, with Strummer second from left

Joe Strummer, the leader of legendary Seventies punk band The Clash, has died, aged 50.
A spokesman for Strummer confirmed to BBC News Online that the singer died on Sunday.

A posting on the artist's website on Monday reads: "Joe Strummer died yesterday. Our condolences to Luce and the kids, family and friends."

Strummer recently launched a new career with his band The Mescaleros
Strummer became a rock legend in the late 70s when he fronted The Clash, the politically-aware punk group from west London.

The band were anti-racist and became noted for inflammatory, intelligent punk songs such as London's Calling, White Riot, White Man In Hammersmith Palais and Tommy Gun.

Along with the Sex Pistols, they were the figureheads of the punk scene that put London on the map as the centre of the musical world in the late Seventies.

The band, who also boasted Mick Jones, Topper Headon and Paul Simonon, became huge stars in the US.

In 1982 they supported The Who at Shea Stadium, the US venue made famous by The Beatles.

Their 1982 song Should I Stay Or Should I Go was their biggest US hit, and was posthumously used in an ad for jeans manufacturer Levi's.

Rolling Stone voted London's Calling, their classic 1980 album (released in 1979 in the UK) as the best albums of the 80s.

Strummer led the band until 1986, after sacking Mick Jones

In the last few years Strummer forged another successful career with his band The Mescaleros, touring around the world and releasing two albums - Rock Art And The X Ray Style in 1999, and 2001's Global A Go-Go.

He also played with The Pogues and featured in several films, including Alex Cox's Walker and Straight To Hell.

He leaves a wife and family.

:sad: :sad:

WTF!?!?!
What the fuck happened?
50 freakin years old....my freakin hero...what the fuck?
Oh this is killing me....

50 years old is too young to die. :( May he rest in peace.

I hate hearing about all of these people dying too young these days. My dad will be 50 in January, and I do not know what I will do when something happens to him. :|

You've got to be kidding me...Joe Strummer? Awful news. I don't know what to say...the Clash are one of my favourite groups ever...awful news. Rest in peace Mr Strummer, and thanks for the moments.

I remember being six years old and having my baby sitter watch MTV when she was over. I didn't understand "Rock the Casbah" at the time or the importance of Joe Strummer and really punk rock for that matter but I knew it sounded cool. Its too bad that most music these days sucks and is missing that punk rock bite. Joe Strummer was a legend.

Joe Strummer- You were too young- Rest in Peace

Joe Strummer one of the founding members of the Clash, has died he was only 50. They think it was a heart attack. He was a great guy. Very decent, sincere. Not to metion all the amazing music.

what a bomb! said:

Bono- "The Clash was the greatest rock band. They wrote the rule book for U2"

Farewell

a bit more from Bono

"The Clash was the greatest rock band. They wrote the rule book for U2," U2 frontman Bono, who was working on a Nelson Mandela tribute song with Strummer and Eurhythmics' Dave Stewart, told the British Press Association. "Though I was always too much of a fan to get to know him well, we were due to meet in January to finish our Mandela song with Dave Stewart. It's such a shock."

u2sangel said:
The Clash are being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March there goes the reunion I thought would happen!O Bono I hope you are writing the inducition speech!!!!!!!

Man, I forgot about that :|

He was younger than my parents...

It's eerie, but last night I had decided to pull out The Clash's double album Sandinista! and listen to it. It was the first time since 1999 that I had listened to a Clash album. I feel fortunate to have gotten into the Clash probably ten years ago. It's very sad, all of the originals are dying.

I just heard the news on CBS, its unbelievable and a total shock. The Clash was about to get back together in March 2003 for the induction into the rock hall of fame. Joe Strummer is an amazing song writer and musician. I don't understand how he could pass away so young. God Bless him, his family and the members of the Clash!

Back
Top Bottom