MERGED: Jewel Has Become Britney Spears!!! + When did Jewel... - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2003, 02:32 AM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 06:42 AM
This is just hilarious.
And she gets paid for this shit.

Old 06-08-2003, 09:44 PM   #62
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:42 PM
When did Jewel turn from hippie Alaskan poetry chick to teenybopper whore?

she's performing at half time of the nba finals (why? don't ask... for i do not know)

but damn... she looks like she raided mariah carey's wardrobe.

Old 06-08-2003, 09:57 PM   #63
Refugee

Local Time: 03:42 PM
good for her. her old music was boring anyway. time to skank it up.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:39 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
time to skank it up! haha! rock on Jewel. i was very disappointed in two of my colleagues last week, they admitted to me they like the new jewel look and sound and one actually won tickets to see her a few weeks ago in Tampa.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:25 PM   #65
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:42 PM

I picked up the new issue of Blender today...check out the cover:

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-09-2003, 05:30 PM   #66
Refugee

nice work.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:30 PM   #67
Refugee

her breasts are HUGE.

man is she hot.

i hope she never plays guitar again. avril lavigne ruined it for me.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:16 PM   #68
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

god, and i wanted to buy that issue too. (if anyone can't figure out why, look by her shoulder.) i'll have to flip over the cover or something cuz she really grates on my nerves now.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:04 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:42 PM
I like maybe two or three of Jewel's older songs; overall to me she always seemed too self-consciously "deep" and whiny as hell. She looks -very- awkward in the new video, but the new song is rather growing on me against my will,
Old 06-10-2003, 03:40 AM   #70
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
I like maybe two or three of Jewel's older songs; overall to me she always seemed too self-consciously "deep" and whiny as hell. She looks -very- awkward in the new video, but the new song is rather growing on me against my will,
me too. i like foolish games (i will NEVER like who will save your soul, that fucking song was forced down the throats of music listeners for like three years, she was like i'll keep re-releasing this until it becomes a hit!) and uhh...there was this song off of her second album.

am i the only one who thinks it's odd that she releases this new single, and then simultaneously, shick also comes out with a razor called intuition, using the song in their commercials (they just use the music part).
Old 06-10-2003, 04:38 AM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:42 PM
I read that the reason behind her doing an really pop-centric album and destroying her image is in retaliation for the way the world is now and the war and stuff.

What a way to make a difference. Imagine if Bono got pissed off at the way things wer ein Africa and instead of actually doing something about it, he started making videos of himself with a thong on and all oiled up singing a cheesy pop song that has rhymes like cheese and sneeze.

Actually I think some girls here would like the thong and oil part....

But yeah, Jewel is just retarded.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:46 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
i glad her song is now a razor for women. sell out!
Old 06-10-2003, 10:03 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:42 PM
I still don't understand what happened to Jewel. I'm no fan, but I had some respect for her before this "Intuition" shit came about.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:18 AM   #74
New Yorker

You're all wrong...

I think I will go to the bookstore or borrow a Maxim from someone...

I think this may be her best work yet... ya'll just maybe to close minded towards specific styles/ genres...

From www.allmusic.com

4.5 Stars baby!!!

Within the liner notes to her fourth album 0304, Jewel includes a note to her fans, explaining that "This album may seem different to you," which is putting it mildly. For a singer that has been make low-key singer-songwriter albums so unassuming that on her debut the two singles had to be re-recorded for mass consumption, it is a big shock to put on 0304 and hear that she has abandonded folkiness and adult-pop to make her dance-pop album, of all things. A move that's even more shocking when you consider that when this was released in June of 2003 the teen-driven dance-pop boom of the late '90s/early '00s was over, so it doesn't necessarily even sound like part of the mainstream of the time, suggesting that this isn't a calculated effort to ride the latest hip trends. No, the music on 0304 is the wild, weird result of Jewel's desire to create a "modern interpretation of big band music. A record that (is) lyric-driven, like Cole Porter stuff, that also has a lot of swing...that combined dance, urban and folk music." While the big band and Cole Porter allusions are a stretch although it is true that this is as lyric-driven as her previous three records with the assistence of producer Lester A. Mendez, she has managed to blend dance, urban and folk, complete with pop overtones, of course, in previously unimaginable ways. Like Sheryl Crow's eponymous second album, this picks up familiar strands of contemporary pop music and familiar themes in Jewel's own work, but the way they're assembled is disarmingly idiosyncratic it has a polished, commercial sheen, but the songs take weird twists and turns in their arrangements, structure and lyrics (another thing this shares with Sheryl Crow is a prediliction for odd pop-culture references and name-dropping). More than anything, it's the weird juxtapositions in the production the accordions and dance beats on "Intuition," the way her protest tune "America" ends in an electro-crash, the muted jazz trumpets on her Nelly Furtado-styled "Leave the Lights On," to name just a few that make this an original-sounding album, something with more imagination than the average dance-pop record. Better still, it sounds more authentic (and boasts a better set of songs) than her previous records, which were either too ramshackle or too self-serious and doggedly somber to really reveal much character. Here, even if its under the veneer of commercial pop, she puts herself out on the line more than she ever has, and she's come up with her best record, with her best set of songs and best music yet. As she notes in her message to fans, "it's the first record I enjoy listening to. It's fun!" She's completely right on that note against all, it's the first album of hers that's a sheer pleasure to hear.

Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Old 06-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #75
New Yorker

My bad... It was Blender... Hmmmmm, but i really wanted to pick up a Maxim...