MERGED ----> James Brown hospitalized + R.I.P. James Brown.... + James Brown Dead... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:10 AM
i dont know how many of you have watched James Brown perform live,

it was the best American show i ever saw and his singers and dancers were so over the top sexy, damn fucking incredible. this is not just another legend that has passed away folks.

this was the funkiest of them all.

without him, no funk. without him, no hip hop. countless musicians have sampled his material. his music will never die, because it´s used by so many of us, he taught us the funk, we turned his funky stuff into our own thing, he gave us sound snippets we could play with. he´s the original daddy of all the b-boys. he´s the high frequency and the lower bass you don´t hear on mainstream radio. disco killed so many skilled musicians.. he survived.

weals on his hands, i was impressed when i finally got the chance to shake his hands when he turned to his fans at a show

James Brown was an American with his heart and his soul. Even if his country betrayed its greatest musical innovator by sending him to prison - weakening his lungs in cold cell block - he continued to spread the great American soul revolution all over the world.

the hardest working man in show business has passed away. This is tragic christmas news..

the Lord will receive him with kindness
i can hear him partying up there, with miles, with john lee hooker, with ray charles

Rest in Peace, James Brown

Old 12-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:10 PM

He was awesome, RIP

from the Huffington Post

by Russell Shaw

What James Brown Told me in Person 20 Years Ago

I have my own James Brown story. It's in two parts, separate by 20 years. One, during a time when I sang his music, the other when as a journalist, I spent the better part of a sunny April afternoon with the man.

Part one. I am in my late teenage years, working in an office tower.
My guitar-playin' buddy, a couple of other pals and yours truly say, why don't we jam in the stockroom after work. We score some nasty tequila. The tequila disappears as well as the restraint.

I'ts my turn for two songs. I "perform" "Stand By Me." I execute it fairly literally. It is then that that guitar-playing buddy says I need to cut a bit more loose. I hydrate with several more nips of tequila and then say, "how about we do "It's A Man's Man's Man's World," by James Brown!!

We're game. But when I get to the final portion of the song, when James sang "HE'S LOST!!," I all of a sudden start a-testifyin.'

"HE'S LOST, HE'S LOST,," 10 or so times at peak volume for me. Follow that with "CAN'T YOU SEE "i'M LOST."

My vocal dibs are now on trajectory toward primal scream. Guitar-playin' bud is strumming his Argentinian hands on his acoustic guitar faster and faster, tryin' to keep up.

Then at that point, a crew of shoutin' Latina cleaning ladies burst in. Something like "is anything wrong? Shall we call the police/" Fluent in their language, guitar-playin' bud said something like it's cool, we'll go home now. And we all did.

TWENTY YEARS ON..

I'm writing about music for lots of magazines. One day, a very long-forgotten national magazine called Gig assigns me to go to Augusta, Georgia and interview James Brown.

Teaching college in Atlanta at the time, I left after my 10 a.m. class, jump on I-20 and head the 140 miles to Augusta. Mr. Brown comes out to studio reception desk and greets me.

First two hours is about his background. But he is not talking directly to me. He is reciting from a template. To annotate, he weaves in lots of lyrical snippets from his vast catalog.

After two hours, I said something like "Mr. Brown," (as he insisted on being addressed), let me tell you something about what one of your greatest songs meant to me one evening.

He didn't say "yes" or "no." I took it as an OK, go ahead, scribe boy."

Then I proceeded to tell James Brown the true story I told you in this post.

As I started to tell this tale, James Brown broke into a smile. Each stage of this story brought a broader smile to the Godfather of Soul's face.

Before I could finish, he said to me something I will always treasure:

"That, what you told me, about your singin' that song and breakin' it out, THAT'S SOUL, MAN!! THAT'S SOUL MAN!" (repeats two or three times more).

"YOU GOT SOUL, MAN"

You would have had to be there and to be around the man. This was not an entertainer who would say shit just so you would write a good review. Pensive, persnickity and suspicious of writers, cops, and everyone else not named James Brown, he was no (no pun intended) brown-noser.

But James Brown told me I got soul!!

Two hours later, I am in my car, driving on I-20 back to Atlanta.

In a "cold sweat," am thinking to myself, "no I didn't dream it." The "Godfather of Soul" told me "I got soul!!"

Now another 20 years has passed between that magical moment and today. The day in which Mr. Brown has left his body.

James Brown, I honor your unique talent, your art, your life.

And thanks for that very special moment 20 years ago.

I feel good.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:12 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:10 AM
Old 12-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
I kinda figured his time would come.....but I hope he had a quiet and peacefull death
Old 12-25-2006, 06:37 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN)

"The most difficult thing is for me to stand here without him. We were a team," Charles Bobbit, Brown's personal manager, told reporters Monday.

Pausing to fight back tears, Bobbit said he was at Brown's bedside when he died.

Brown told him, "I'm going away tonight."

Then he took three long, quiet breaths, and closed his eyes, Bobbit said.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:49 PM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:10 PM
Old 12-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:10 PM
As Delta social chairman I was in charge of the old Rock-Ola jukebox at the Delta house. We had the following J.B. 45's;

Think/You've Got The Power
I Lost Someone
Night Train

Long live the Mashed Potato.
Long live James Brown.

Donald "Boon" Schoenstein '63
Old 12-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
i dont know how many of you have watched James Brown perform live,

it was the best American show i ever saw and his singers and dancers were so over the top sexy, damn fucking incredible. this is not just another legend that has passed away folks.

this was the funkiest of them all.

without him, no funk. without him, no hip hop. countless musicians have sampled his material. his music will never die, because it´s used by so many of us, he taught us the funk, we turned his funky stuff into our own thing, he gave us sound snippets we could play with. he´s the original daddy of all the b-boys. he´s the high frequency and the lower bass you don´t hear on mainstream radio. disco killed so many skilled musicians.. he survived.

weals on his hands, i was impressed when i finally got the chance to shake his hands when he turned to his fans at a show

James Brown was an American with his heart and his soul. Even if his country betrayed its greatest musical innovator by sending him to prison - weakening his lungs in cold cell block - he continued to spread the great American soul revolution all over the world.

the hardest working man in show business has passed away. This is tragic christmas news..

the Lord will receive him with kindness
i can hear him partying up there, with miles, with john lee hooker, with ray charles

Rest in Peace, James Brown
Could not have said it better myself!!!
Well put.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:14 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:10 AM

Couldn't believe it when i got up and heard this on the news, esp on Christmas Day

what a performer!
Old 12-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

My college roommate worshiped this man. We went to see him perform twice. And I've been singing his songs all day

"Get up offa that thing
And show what you've been missing
Get up offa that thing..."

"I can dig wheeling
I can dig dealing
But I can't dig no damn squealing!"

"The white horse of heroin
Will ride you to hell
To hell
To hell
Until you are dead."

RIP, J.B.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:21 PM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

This really sucks.

RIP
Old 12-26-2006, 12:51 AM   #42
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:10 PM
So very sad
Old 12-26-2006, 12:59 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

wow, just wow

Old 12-26-2006, 02:27 AM   #44
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

James Brown was the funkiest human being that ever lived.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:12 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:10 AM
Legend, very sad news.

He paid the cost to be the Boss, as it were.