MERGED ----> James Brown hospitalized + R.I.P. James Brown.... + James Brown Dead...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i dont know how many of you have watched James Brown perform live,

it was the best American show i ever saw and his singers and dancers were so over the top sexy, damn fucking incredible. this is not just another legend that has passed away folks.

this was the funkiest of them all.

without him, no funk. without him, no hip hop. countless musicians have sampled his material. his music will never die, because it´s used by so many of us, he taught us the funk, we turned his funky stuff into our own thing, he gave us sound snippets we could play with. he´s the original daddy of all the b-boys. he´s the high frequency and the lower bass you don´t hear on mainstream radio. disco killed so many skilled musicians.. he survived.

weals on his hands, i was impressed when i finally got the chance to shake his hands when he turned to his fans at a show

James Brown was an American with his heart and his soul. Even if his country betrayed its greatest musical innovator by sending him to prison - weakening his lungs in cold cell block - he continued to spread the great American soul revolution all over the world.

the hardest working man in show business has passed away. This is tragic christmas news..

the Lord will receive him with kindness
i can hear him partying up there, with miles, with john lee hooker, with ray charles

Rest in Peace, James Brown

He was awesome, RIP

from the Huffington Post

by Russell Shaw

What James Brown Told me in Person 20 Years Ago

I have my own James Brown story. It's in two parts, separate by 20 years. One, during a time when I sang his music, the other when as a journalist, I spent the better part of a sunny April afternoon with the man.

Part one. I am in my late teenage years, working in an office tower.
My guitar-playin' buddy, a couple of other pals and yours truly say, why don't we jam in the stockroom after work. We score some nasty tequila. The tequila disappears as well as the restraint.

I'ts my turn for two songs. I "perform" "Stand By Me." I execute it fairly literally. It is then that that guitar-playing buddy says I need to cut a bit more loose. I hydrate with several more nips of tequila and then say, "how about we do "It's A Man's Man's Man's World," by James Brown!!

We're game. But when I get to the final portion of the song, when James sang "HE'S LOST!!," I all of a sudden start a-testifyin.'

"HE'S LOST, HE'S LOST,," 10 or so times at peak volume for me. Follow that with "CAN'T YOU SEE "i'M LOST."

My vocal dibs are now on trajectory toward primal scream. Guitar-playin' bud is strumming his Argentinian hands on his acoustic guitar faster and faster, tryin' to keep up.

Then at that point, a crew of shoutin' Latina cleaning ladies burst in. Something like "is anything wrong? Shall we call the police/" Fluent in their language, guitar-playin' bud said something like it's cool, we'll go home now. And we all did.

TWENTY YEARS ON..

I'm writing about music for lots of magazines. One day, a very long-forgotten national magazine called Gig assigns me to go to Augusta, Georgia and interview James Brown.

Teaching college in Atlanta at the time, I left after my 10 a.m. class, jump on I-20 and head the 140 miles to Augusta. Mr. Brown comes out to studio reception desk and greets me.

First two hours is about his background. But he is not talking directly to me. He is reciting from a template. To annotate, he weaves in lots of lyrical snippets from his vast catalog.

After two hours, I said something like "Mr. Brown," (as he insisted on being addressed), let me tell you something about what one of your greatest songs meant to me one evening.

He didn't say "yes" or "no." I took it as an OK, go ahead, scribe boy."

Then I proceeded to tell James Brown the true story I told you in this post.

As I started to tell this tale, James Brown broke into a smile. Each stage of this story brought a broader smile to the Godfather of Soul's face.

Before I could finish, he said to me something I will always treasure:

"That, what you told me, about your singin' that song and breakin' it out, THAT'S SOUL, MAN!! THAT'S SOUL MAN!" (repeats two or three times more).

"YOU GOT SOUL, MAN"

You would have had to be there and to be around the man. This was not an entertainer who would say shit just so you would write a good review. Pensive, persnickity and suspicious of writers, cops, and everyone else not named James Brown, he was no (no pun intended) brown-noser.

But James Brown told me I got soul!!

Two hours later, I am in my car, driving on I-20 back to Atlanta.

In a "cold sweat," am thinking to myself, "no I didn't dream it." The "Godfather of Soul" told me "I got soul!!"

Now another 20 years has passed between that magical moment and today. The day in which Mr. Brown has left his body.

James Brown, I honor your unique talent, your art, your life.

And thanks for that very special moment 20 years ago.

I feel good.

Last edited:
ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN)

"The most difficult thing is for me to stand here without him. We were a team," Charles Bobbit, Brown's personal manager, told reporters Monday.

Pausing to fight back tears, Bobbit said he was at Brown's bedside when he died.

Brown told him, "I'm going away tonight."

Then he took three long, quiet breaths, and closed his eyes, Bobbit said.

As Delta social chairman I was in charge of the old Rock-Ola jukebox at the Delta house. We had the following J.B. 45's;

Think/You've Got The Power
I Lost Someone
Night Train

Long live the Mashed Potato.
Long live James Brown.

Donald "Boon" Schoenstein '63

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
i dont know how many of you have watched James Brown perform live,

it was the best American show i ever saw and his singers and dancers were so over the top sexy, damn fucking incredible. this is not just another legend that has passed away folks.

this was the funkiest of them all.

without him, no funk. without him, no hip hop. countless musicians have sampled his material. his music will never die, because it´s used by so many of us, he taught us the funk, we turned his funky stuff into our own thing, he gave us sound snippets we could play with. he´s the original daddy of all the b-boys. he´s the high frequency and the lower bass you don´t hear on mainstream radio. disco killed so many skilled musicians.. he survived.

weals on his hands, i was impressed when i finally got the chance to shake his hands when he turned to his fans at a show

James Brown was an American with his heart and his soul. Even if his country betrayed its greatest musical innovator by sending him to prison - weakening his lungs in cold cell block - he continued to spread the great American soul revolution all over the world.

the hardest working man in show business has passed away. This is tragic christmas news..

the Lord will receive him with kindness
i can hear him partying up there, with miles, with john lee hooker, with ray charles

Rest in Peace, James Brown

Could not have said it better myself!!!
Well put.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Couldn't believe it when i got up and heard this on the news, esp on Christmas Day :(

:bow: what a performer! :heart:

My college roommate worshiped this man. We went to see him perform twice. And I've been singing his songs all day

"Get up offa that thing
And show what you've been missing
Get up offa that thing..."

"I can dig wheeling
I can dig dealing
But I can't dig no damn squealing!"

"The white horse of heroin
Will ride you to hell
To hell
To hell
Until you are dead."

RIP, J.B.

I'll tell you what! There's no disputing that a long time ago James Brown was a great performer, but he was no model citizen at all. He had a habit of hitting women and he was always getting busted by the cops. His last hurrah was in 1985 when he made a cameo appearance in Rocky IV. Who has given a shit about him since then?

I didn't know he had a habit of hitting women, of course I certainly don't endorse that. He's dead now and I think all anyone here was doing was admiring him for what he contributed to music history, whatever that may be.

No one is a model citizen, we all have our sins and failings and demons.

MrPryck2U said:
I'll tell you what! There's no disputing that a long time ago James Brown was a great performer, but he was no model citizen at all. He had a habit of hitting women and he was always getting busted by the cops. His last hurrah was in 1985 when he made a cameo appearance in Rocky IV. Who has given a shit about him since then?

:|

I'll amend my statement about the Godfather of Soul. You know who has given a shit about James Brown? All of the artists who have sampled his music over the years.

MrPryck2U said:

He was inducted into the UK hall of fame just months ago, obviously somebody gives a shit.

RIP Godfather of Soul.

Touche RedHot! In his prime, back in the 60's, Brown was the ultimate showman. Plus, he did put on many great performances in the decades to follow. But, there's one thing I just don't understand. How come the UK waited so long to induct him. If I'm not mistaken, Bon Jovi was inducted the same night. Bon Jovi started at least 20 years after Brown. What's up with that?

MrPryck2U said:
Touche RedHot! In his prime, back in the 60's, Brown was the ultimate showman. Plus, he did put on many great performances in the decades to follow. But, there's one thing I just don't understand. How come the UK waited so long to induct him. If I'm not mistaken, Bon Jovi was inducted the same night. Bon Jovi started at least 20 years after Brown. What's up with that?

I dunno, the UK is a whole new world. But that is cool that they like inducting american artists. :up: One love, baby, one love.

The UK Music Hall Of Fame has only been going 2-3 years at the most. James Brown is a legend but there are other artists too who demand as much musical attenton as he does (although just for the record - James Brown>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bon Jovi). Suppose he had to wait his turn i guess. Anyway, i'm glad he got inducted before he passed away.

I heard Say It Loud I'm Black And I'm Proud on the radio last night, that song was freaking fantastic :rockon:

Boston Globe

" Only Elvis Presley had more records make the music charts than Mr. Brown . Ninety-four of Mr. Brown's recordings reached the Top 100, and he had more Top 20 singles than any other recording artist.

"He was an innovator, he was an emancipator, he was an originator. Rap music, all that stuff came from James Brown," entertainer Little Richard, a longtime friend of Mr. Brown's, told MSNBC.

Even though Mr. Brown had his last chart single in 1985, his popularity endured. The churning polyrhythms of such songs as "Cold Sweat" and "I Got You (I Feel Good)" imbue them with a freshness that has kept them a mainstay of classic hits radio formats and commercials.

Mr. Brown received numerous formal honors. Cash Box magazine named him best pop male vocalist in 1969 (the first African-American so honored). The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame included him among its inaugural inductees in 1986. He was a Kennedy Center honoree in 2003.

Yet the greatest tributes to Mr. Brown were and are less conventional. The rhythmic intensity and daring of Mr. Brown's music made it uniquely influential.

"JAMES BROWN is a concept, a vibration, a dance," he declared in the liner notes to his 1991 boxed set, "Star Time." "It's not me, the man. JAMES BROWN is a freedom I created for humanity."

He had an enormous impact on rhythm and blues and soul. All but single handedly, he created funk. And through his numerous recordings sampled by rap artists, he provided the rhythmic underpinnings for hip-hop.

"Using Brown's grooves as the mother lode and Brown's staccato lyrics as a starting point," the critic Nelson George has written, "hip-hop embraced his legacy. With the introduction of the sampling machine in the mid-'80s, Brown's actual recordings became the heart of this sound."

His recordings assured Mr. Brown's success and influence; his live performances made him a legend.

"When I played, I gave good value for the dollar," he wrote in his 1986 autobiography, "James Brown: The Godfather of Soul." It was no idle boast. Mr. Brown danced the way he sang, only more so. His voice was a leathery rasp, with a clenched-fist quality. Mr. Brown's dancing unclenched the fist -- and then some. Impressive as were the grunts, screams, yowls, shrieks, and groans his voice made, they were not as spectacular as the gyrations he put his body through, a collection of spins, splits, slides, twists, jumps, and drops.

Dubbed "the hardest-working man in show business," Mr. Brown would lose 7-10 pounds a night and frequently require an IV for rehydration after performing.

"I worked all the time," Mr. Brown wrote in his autobiography, "as many as 350 nights a year, most of them one-night stands."

Mr. Brown's most famous album was a concert recording, "Live at the Apollo," which documents a 1962 performance at Harlem's famed Apollo Theater. It rose to number two on the pop charts. Many rock critics have called it the greatest of all live albums.

"Live at the Apollo" did not only mark a turning point in Mr. Brown's career, taking him to a new level of popularity and renown. It affected the music industry as a whole, demonstrating the potential of live recordings. Previously, they had been seen as having little commercial appeal.

Mr. Brown's flair for showmanship extended beyond his dancing and singing. He spent as much time working on straightening his hair as he did rehearsing. (The photographer Diane Arbus memorably recorded Mr. Brown in curlers.) "Hair is the first thing," he wrote in his autobiography. "And teeth are second. Hair and teeth. A man got those two things he's got it all." Or there was his trademark cape. Mr. Brown would end shows by having an assistant come onstage and drape it over his shoulders. He got the idea from the wrestler Gorgeous George, who would fling his robe off in the ring.

Mr. Brown, who at one time owned several radio stations, united business and politics as a leading proponent of black capitalism. He made several overtly political records, such as "Don't Be a Drop-Out" (1966) and "Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud" (1968). Three months earlier, he recorded the explicitly patriotic "America Is My Home." His last major hit, in 1985, was another flag-waving anthem, "Living in America."

In a sometimes - incongruous blend of the radical and conservative, Mr. Brown's politics mirrored his music. His recordings provided much of the soundtrack for the black pride movement, yet he endorsed President Nixon's reelection campaign in 1972.

Mr. Brown's combination of high-profile activism and enormous popularity led Look magazine to ask in a 1969 cover story, "Is this the most important black man in America?"

Back
Top Bottom