MERGED --> It's Snowing in Dayton + Midwest Winter Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's snowing pretty nicely outside...the grass is completely covered and it should only get more covered by dawn. :wink:

Wow, I live in the same city and we got so much snow. Gah. >_< It sucked and it doesn't help that it feels like it's -3974897839289 or something out there. We got what, something close to 5 inches when it stopped earlier this evening? Blah.

Well at least WSU and Sinclair didn't open until 10. I still can't figure out why all the schools closed today???

Huzzah. It hasn't snowed here yet today and we're getting a "warm" front of 20 degrees, with the windchill at -25. Too bad the roads are still not down to pavement and are actually getting worse because of the semi-melting and then freezing into black ice each night.

we had a 30-car pileup here yesterday, there were accidents all over Chicago and for what? the most that came down was about 2 inches...people here have no concept of how to drive in snow. Granted it was icy and the temp yesterday was probably -3 or so but they're still going 60 or 70 mph and wonder why they get in accidents. it's been cold here the past week or so with negative temperatures, but nothing compared to my former home of upstate NY. when places in NY make it on the weather news here in IL, like last night, then I KNOW it's cold and snowy. (Lake effect snow or not, I still miss NY :sad:)

elevated_u2_fan said:
It's currently -30 with the wind chill here in Toronto... It takes less than 10 mins for skin to freeze...:mad :

Babydoll said:
I am the one with the worst winter prolly! Over the past week, it's been -20f, -23f, -26f, -28f and this morning was a record -30F. I didn't go to class this morn coz when I woke up at 6:30, I couldn't see for the heavy snow and blowing wind. When we get up in the morning, the water in our glasses has little ice chunks in it. We do have a heater but it only goes up to 65F. So yeah.... winter sucks.

:yikes::crack:

We don't get snow where i live in the UK very often and if we get it it doesnt sticl as we're by the coast. :mad: I little snow would be nice just to create a snow day. :drool: I don't know how people deal with it being as cold as you have to deal with though. :no::yikes:

elevated_u2_fan said:

Thats terrible! How old was he/she?

She was older, like almost 70 I think, and she told her husband she was going to her clinic (attached to the house), so the husband then went to bed, but her body was found farther away. Presumably, she was headed toward the mailbox. Someone saw the body as he was driving by. They think she may have slipped and injured herself, not able to get back.

Midwest Winter Storm

So, we're in the midst of what local weather forcasters are calling the biggest winter storm in the area(Indiana/Ohio/Pennsylvania) since the Christmas-week 2004 storm.

It only started about 4 hours ago, and so far all we've gotten is an inch or two maybe...nothing too big, but we're supposed to have 5/6-8/10 inches(a foot in some places a little more north) when all is said and done, which is in about 24 hours. Plus half an inch to an inch of ice.

Pretty much everything in my area(Dayton, OH) is closed for today(Tuesday) already. It's not even 6AM yet and we're closing in on 300 closings in the area(www.whiotv.com)

I love winter storms.

:happy:

school's closed for me today and I'm in Illinois. I tried to go outside to walk my dog but the wind was pushing us over so she couldn't really relieve herself. haha

I thought we had it bad here but I guess not. Good luck a-shovelin'! :wink:

Thankfullly (sorry) it went to our south.......only a inch or two from this storm for us (S. WI)
However, later we are going to get lake effect snow 3-6 inches of it. :madspit: I have visions of up-state NY in my head 144 inches :crack: cannot even imagine it...........

Enjoy your snow!

we only got about 1-2 inches last night, no snow on my car this morning due to the wind. they think we'll get 3-5 by this evening. still not bad compared to where my parents live, Syracuse, NY. I definitely can remember those winters, shoveling about 4 or 5 times an hour and not being able to keep up. good times, good times. snow days :drool:

I still haven't experienced a truly bad midwest winter since I've been here, but I have been exposed to one silly thing that I wasn't aware of before---people putting out chairs...lawn chairs, folding chairs, even dining room ones next to the curb to "reserve" their parking spaces for later on if they need to move their car. that was by far the funniest thing I've seen. I've been told by others that this happens in other cities as well.

U2Girl416 said:

I still haven't experienced a truly bad midwest winter since I've been here, but I have been exposed to one silly thing that I wasn't aware of before---people putting out chairs...lawn chairs, folding chairs, even dining room ones next to the curb to "reserve" their parking spaces for later on if they need to move their car. that was by far the funniest thing I've seen. I've been told by others that this happens in other cities as well.

But in Chicago we do it better than anyone else. The official name is "dibs". Even Mayor Daley bows to the inevitable and supports the dibs system. :)

no school today :drool: i don't know how much it snowed but it was enough to cancel school which IPS almost never does. and it's supposed to be snowing or freeze-raining (freezing-raining? how do you say that as a verb?) throughout the day

not nearly as bad as New York of course

Under winter storm watch till noon tomorrow. Expected to get up to 16 inches by the time it is over. Going to start getting cold again too. :sad: We did have a warm up into the 20's though.

I feel for the people in N.Y. who are getting hammered with all the snow. Hopefully it will lighten up on them soon.

It's here in the east now...I think we got 4 inches of snow overnight...and now a second storm will be rumbling through. :ohmy:

It's bad here also. I was told not to come into work today and tomorrow. We are to get a foot of snow and be snowing into tomorrow. We are to get some freezing rain, and if we get too much we could lose power.

CANNOT wait for spring!!! I haven't seen proper sunshine since I came back to the states, the last time I saw it was at home in August! :angry:

Snow to freezing rain to snow to freezing rain here on the northside of Indy. My bank closed and the general rule is, if the federal reserve is open, the bank is open, unless an emergency is declared or something. No emergency, but I got home at 3:30 rather than the usual 5:45! I am quickly learning that my car is a tank; it was plowed into my parking spot at work and I only had to rock it once to get it out. :up:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom