MERGED: Is the Sports Guy an Interference Member?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac Phisto

The Fly
Who Is The U2 Of Sports?

Bill Simmons (AKA The Sports Guy) is God, the rest is just details:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHO IS THE U2 OF SPORTS?

By Bill Simmons
Page 2

Editor's note: This column appears in the March 14 issue of ESPN The Magazine.

Ever play the musician/athlete game? You just pick a band or singer and then decide which sports star they'd be. For instance, Springsteen is Larry Bird, the workingman's hero. Guns N' Roses are Doc Gooden, the prodigy who flamed out too fast. The Stones are Ali, the greatest until they hung around too long. The Police are John McEnroe -- gifted, tortured, ultimately unable to keep it together.

You can easily kill an eight-hour car ride this way ... as long as you keep U2 out of it. Trying to find a match for that band will make you crazy. Kareem and Roger Clemens had similar longevity, but nobody liked them. Ditto for Barry Bonds, although Bonds' head and Bono's both have grown exponentially over the years. Nolan Ryan was breathtaking in moments, but never transcendent. Gretzky and MJ didn't dominate long enough. The closest comparison? Jack Nicklaus. Big splash in the '60s, superduperstar in the '70s, stunning revival in the '80s -- it's a similar arc, right down to the success of "Vertigo" and the 1986 Masters. But can you compare U2 to a golfer? Of course not.

Here's the point: bands just don't do what U2 have done. They don't stay together for 26 years without even a token separation (or 20). They don't continue to pump out quality albums and concert tours (sorry, I don't count the Dead, who haven't been nearly as popular). And they don't resonate with three different generations.

There hasn't been nearly enough made of these guys. Unlike what we do with our sports heroes, few of us consider the overall body of work of musicians. It always comes down to what they did most recently, or who died at the optimal time, or whose music aged best. Fact is, there is no black-and-white way to judge them. How can you prove Jimmy Page was a better guitar player than Eric Clapton? Instead of statistics and awards, we rely on emotions and memories, on what a particular band meant to us. It leads to some deceiving outcomes -- like how everyone forgets that, when Kurt Cobain killed himself, Nirvana had been eclipsed by Pearl Jam and the Smashing Pumpkins. Had he lived, there's a 90 percent chance Cobain and Courtney Love would be starring in a reality show on VH-1 right now. You just never know. That's why people rarely argue about music ... well, unless they're stoned.

With sports, there is nothing to do but argue about this stuff. If music were sports, Kornheiser and Wilbon would be fighting to the death over "Who's better: Franz Ferdinand or The Killers?" But we don't approach music this way, and so U2 never get their due. Take everything you ever read or heard about MJ, then double it -- that's what we'd have if U2 had played ball. What would their rookie card be worth? How many covers would they have graced? What formula would Rob Neyer have concocted to legitimize their run?

Maybe I'm biased. Some people have photo albums; I have U2. When I listened to them as a kid they were belting out angry diatribes about growing up in Ireland, so who could have imagined they'd provide a soundtrack for my life? There was "The Unforgettable Fire" for my moody years, and "The Joshua Tree" for when I began to put it all together. When "Rattle and Hum" came out, I was also taking myself a little too seriously. "Achtung Baby"? We were both running on all cylinders. "Zooropa" and "Pop"? We were both figuring out where to go next. We finally crossed paths with "All That You Can't Leave Behind." I was covering my first Super Bowl and U2 was singing at halftime of the eventual Pats upset, and yes, it was a "Beautiful Day." With their most recent, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," I'm in a good place, and so are they. They're E.T. to my Elliott.

Throw in the unintentional comedy and general weirdness -- how Bono doesn't age (much like David Robinson); how you can't call "The Edge" just "Edge"; every delightfully absurd minute of the Rattle and Hum documentary (my favorites: The Edge's extended mullet, the Graceland trip and every conversation between Bono and B.B. King); Bono's pompous concert speeches; even Adam Carolla's idea that we should deport Bono so he can annoy Ireland instead of us -- and there has never been another band like this. At the recent Grammys, they were still as strong on stage as anyone else, even though I'm pretty sure The Edge died about three years ago and they're just propping him up. Against all odds, they keep plugging away.

They have no peers in the business, and no sports equivalent. So if you ever play the musician/athlete game, save some time -- skip U2 and go right to a band like Van Halen. (They were Sugar Ray Leonard, but that's a whole other story.)

Bill Simmons is a columnist for Page 2 and ESPN The Magazine. His Sports Guy's World site is updated every day Monday through Friday.

All the proof I need that The Sports Guy is, indeed, an Interference Poster.

I've had this theory for a while. Some of you may have read it, some of you may just not care. I'm a big fan of Bill Simmons... aka The Sports Guy... from ESPN.com. He's always throwing random U2 references into his aritcles. So I got to thinking that he's probably a closet U2 fanatic, thus then there's probably a decent chance that he's been to Interference, and seeing as he's also a self admitted adict of message boards and all things internet, that perhaps he's a member...

Well... he just posted his latest article on ESPN.com, and it has officialy removed all doubt of my theory...

[edited by paxetaurora due to redundancy after thread merge]

So now that it's officialy... it's time for you to out yourself. Who art thou, Bill Simmons... make your presence known.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danny Boy said:
I don't get the comment about Edge being dead.

I think he means the rebirth of the Edge's sound. It is way more evident on HTDAAB than ATYCLB. I could be wrong but thats how I interpret it.

dear mods,

i've noticed that someone else posted this article in everything you know is wrong... don't merge 'em please... and if ya have to, merge it into put 'em under pressure... i don't know if i can stand reading people trying to interperet what the sports guy wrote into some dark and mysterious hidden meaning the way they do with the frickin' uno dos tres catorce thing.

it's already starting in the other thread :banghead:

That part of the article is clearly something Bill didnt read inside the hardcore fan news about Edges family situation. But the rest of the article is great.

Alright, I admit it guys, I am Bill Simmons.....

and you thought I was a 21 year old girl who knows nothing about sports.....

HA! Fooled you all :wink:

Last edited:
Bill Simmons is absolutely brilliant. Hands down my favorite sportswriter. His U2 references are well-placed, but make his fandom known. Another quality article. :wink:

I said it on LiveJournal and I'll say it here:

If he took time to look outside the US, he'd see the U2 of sports - the New Zealand All Blacks. Heck, the challenge is for U2 to be the New Zealand All Blacks of music, consistently great for one hundred years.

espn.jpg

espn2.jpg

He is wrong about 1 thing in his article for all intensive purposes Gretzky dominated for his entire career from 1979-1999, there was no more dominant player in ice hockey. If he still played today hed still be a great player even at 45.

The U2 of sports?
hmmm, if it has to be a team then you cannot look beyond Manchester United.

and if it has to be an individual then there is only one sportsman who can call himself the U2 of sports.......PAOLO MALDINI!

paxetaurora said:
The Franz Ferdinand vs. the Killers argument definitely leads to me to believe he's spent time in B&C.

Yes. That's the part where I thought, "Mmhmm. This guy reads Interference."

D'oh! said:
The U2 of sports?
hmmm, if it has to be a team then you cannot look beyond Manchester United.

Were Manchester dominant 100 years ago? I don't know of any team that can even compare with the All Blacks' winning record. 104 years, winning 3 out of every 4 games. The All Blacks fecking rule.

So I reiterate, the challenge really is for U2 to be the All Blacks of music.

(And if it must be a person, well, there are plenty of All Blacks to choose from!)

(And I suppose I should add for those poor, deprived souls who are not familiar with the All Blacks, they are New Zealand's national rugby union team. It's all we have to be proud of, besides LOTR, Sir Edmund Hillary, and being the only non-US country to successfully defend the America's Cup.)

Last edited:
Um, Axver, NZ weren't the first to win the America's Cup (which now needs to be renamed). That honour went to? Let me think, ah yes, Australia!!!! :wink:

And really, what about the Wallabies or the Australian Cricket team? Much better choices.

i have a love and hate relationship with that guy

he is witty, writes great articles, and has the best articles on espn.com

but he is a patriots fan, and the patriots beat the rams in the superbowl and he has made fun of the rams ever since, and he is also a red sox fan, enough said.

plus, those little cartoon movies need to go

Back
Top Bottom