MERGED --> Is anyone else sick of Coldplay?? + Shut the F*CK Up About Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomicBono

ONE love, blood, life
Is anyone else sick of Coldplay??

Here's the thing: I am a Coldplay fan. In fact, the number one most played song on my U2-edition iPod is "Don't Panic," by a considerable amount. I have Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head, and I plan to get X&Y at some point. Hopefully I'll get to see them when they come to Indianapolis in August.

So all this doesn't add up, but...I'M REALLY SICK OF COLDPLAY!!!

They're on the cover of every blasted magazine, MTV and VH1 play the Speed of Sound video approximatley 23868.49 times a day, and it seems like everyone ever is like "OMG COLDPLAY!!!!!?!?!?!?1?213LOLZ?"

I guess the thing is that I don't like them competing with my boys. Or rather, I don't like people comparing them to U2 as if they're actually in the same league. Because they're not. AT ALL. I simply cannot fathom the people that are going "OMG X&Y is so good, I wish U2 was daring like this!!" Daring? How the hell is it daring? Granted I've only heard about half the album, but even the song that lifts a line from Kraftwerk (Talk) ends up sounding like U2 more than anything else. There are SOME songs that don't sound like U2...for example Fix You, which is supposedly one of the best tracks on the album. Hmm. Personally I found it really boring, but that's just me.

I could go on, but I don't feel like it. The point is I'm tired of Coldplay, or rather, I'm tired of people heralding them as the next U2 or Jesus or something. They're quickly becoming the most overrated band ever.

Somehow I doubt many people will agree with me.

I agree with you, and here's why:

the new album is not BAD; it's just all the hype surrounding it is annoying, therefore we take it out on the band. chris martin's comments about being the best band in the world, ala bono, don't help either.
what annoys me the most is how everyone is falling over themselves to kiss coldplays ass right now; they don't deserve it.
they put out an ok album; let's leave it at that.
really, chris martin just doesn't have the balls or the talent like bono did to be so full of himself either.

i'm not sick of coldplay! in fact, i think we should fill the board with threads about them!! <sarcasm>

I agree with you. I like them as well, but the hype for this album has been beyond ridiculous. When Q magazine said that this album represented Coldplay "hurtling across the heavens towards the Beatles themselves", I really had to hurl. Particularly since the rest of the review was luke warm at best. That was the strange thing: The review, aside from that insanely bum-kissing summative comment, read like a 3 out of 5 review. But in the end it was 5 out of 5. Why? Hype.

Nope, Coldplay are great, and they are on Later with Jools Holland next Friday and I'll be watching!:wink:

biff said:
I agree with you. I like them as well, but the hype for this album has been beyond ridiculous. When Q magazine said that this album represented Coldplay "hurtling across the heavens towards the Beatles themselves", I really had to hurl. Particularly since the rest of the review was luke warm at best. That was the strange thing: The review, aside from that insanely bum-kissing summative comment, read like a 3 out of 5 review. But in the end it was 5 out of 5. Why? Hype.

Hey can you post the Q review, or is it here somewhere. I wouldn't mind reading that.

yea, i still like their 2 albums, i saw them live 2 or 3 years ago and it was a fairly good show but all the hype now gets on my nerves mostly because i really have given this album 6 -8 listens by now and each time it seems less interesting and the lyrics worse:huh:

Y'all do know you can choose not to read the articles about them; can choose not to listen to the radio; can choose not to watch MTV or VH1; and can even choose not to read the Coldplay threads here don't you? :shrug:

There's usually a little switch on the radio and the TV and the last time I checked, magazine pages can indeed be turned without reading them. :wink:

indra said:
Y'all do know you can choose not to read the articles about them; can choose not to listen to the radio; can choose not to watch MTV or VH1; and can even choose not to read the Coldplay threads here don't you? :shrug:

There's usually a little switch on the radio and the TV and the last time I checked, magazine pages can indeed be turned without reading them. :wink:

still it's annoying a bit, no?

I hate Coldplay. They're terribly adult contemporary and bland middle of the road. Their music is dull. It is made worse by his mosquito droning whine. I'm sure as musicians, they are talented. I'm sure as a songwriter, he has a gift. But as a whole package, I'd rather take a bath in quicklime than listen to them.
I'm sick of the hype. Sick of everything to do with this shitawful fucking average band.

Angela Harlem said:
I hate Coldplay. They're terribly adult contemporary and bland middle of the road. Their music is dull. It is made worse by his mosquito droning whine. I'm sure as musicians, they are talented. I'm sure as a songwriter, he has a gift. But as a whole package, I'd rather take a bath in quicklime than listen to them.
I'm sick of the hype. Sick of everything to do with this shitawful fucking average band.

OH GOD YES. THANK YOU.

JOFO said:

still it's annoying a bit, no?

Not for me. :) I can quite honestly say I don't even know what any of them look like, and rarely if ever hear their music. I'm very good at turning off the TV (and have never had cable anyway), and ignoring the music media. Years of practice.... :yes: :wink:

I like their music a lot, mainly because I can laugh at the people who hate U2 but love Coldplay, but the fact they're tryin to basically BECOME U2 takes away from my experience listening to the new album

I do think the 1st 5 tracks on X&Y are brilliant though, and not even Chris Martin's worst Bono impressions (Speed of Sound vid), or his baby Apple (I just can't stand the name) can stop that :wink:

indra said:

Not for me. :) I can quite honestly say I don't even know what any of them look like, and rarely if ever hear their music. I'm very good at turning off the TV (and have never had cable anyway), and ignoring the music media. Years of practice.... :yes: :wink:

no offense, but bragging about how insulated you are from the evils of mainstream popular culture makes you come off as an unbearably pretentious twat. sorry dude.

Shut the F*CK Up About Coldplay

Good god. The comments made by some on this site sound as if they were coming from that neighbor everyone has had - an old, pissed off man who has so many regrets in his life, a man who decides to deflate any ball that so much crosses an inch into his yard just so he can see children cry.
It sounds like so many here are bitter and worried that Coldplay might get bigger than U2. While that still remains to be seen, may i just ask, who the fuck really cares? And, why does it matter?
Will U2's music be any less good? Will the impact U2's music has had on your life change at all? Will your life be tragically ended?
(The answer is 'no' by the way)
I bet a lot of people who write such horrible things about Coldplay here haven't even heard the new album.

You do realize that you just posted another Coldplay thread.

Their name is even in the title.

It's special moments like these that make a thread memorable.

Last edited:
bollox said:

no offense, but bragging about how insulated you are from the evils of mainstream popular culture makes you come off as an unbearably pretentious twat. sorry dude.

No offense taken. I'm quite happy I know how to turn off the tv or the radio when something I don't care to watch or hear comes on (or flip past an article I don't want to read). If that makes me pretentions, that's just fine. Far better than whining about how much you hate hearing or seeing something when you can turn the fucking machine off.

(by the way, I'm an indie snob too. ;) )

Angela Harlem said:

:heart:

Have I told you lately that I love you?

-Rod Stewart

Not sick of Coldplay themselves, no. I watch VH1 Classic on a regular basis, don't watch the regular VH1 channel often anymore, so I don't really see or hear a lot about them. And I don't know a lot about them as a band. I just know the few songs I occasionally hear on the radio or some of the Music Choice channels I listen to, all of which I've never really minded all that much. Nice relaxing stuff.

No, I'm just a bit tired of the constant arguing regarding them and whether or not they sound like U2. Everybody should just like whatever is appealing to them right now and just remember that any thoughts on who's better than who out of the two or who has better songs/lyrics/whatever are subjective, not objective.

All that said, however, perhaps I shall take indra's advice :).

Angela

It's a brilliant album...tracks 1.2.3.5.6.10.11 are very classy.....close to a 5 star effort...at least 4....just brilliant craftsmanship to make the sound they are making.

Coldplay are deserving of many accolades, X&Y isn't progressive but it IS different for Coldplay. The main reason people think Coldplay are sounding the same is probably because Martin's vocal is kind of limited in it's scope to sound different. Not his fault just the way his voice is.

Like to hear him growl or something on the next album.

But I do think there is too much hype, both negative and positive. I mean where's the hype about the new Oasis album? Arguably a better band.

Even so, I'm sick of having to defend a band that is making the music they want to make and are actually having some appeal to a world that is seemingly obsessed with modern punk, rap, rnb and idol winners and runners up and 6th placers. Just down to earth musicians they are, they haven't done anything bad so let them do what they want to...

At least the publicity has kept the white stripes out of the spotlight though...

myusernamehere said:

:heart:

Have I told you lately that I love you?

-Rod Stewart

why dont you bring over some of your old motown records? we'll stick the speakers in the windows. and perhaps listen to the miracles echo in the alley down below!

Angela Harlem said:

you registered in 1970...my God you must be the first one with internet then..:drool: :huh:

Back
Top Bottom