MERGED --> Is anyone else sick of Coldplay?? + Shut the F*CK Up About Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jet are a poor band.

Talk by coldplay is a great song. the rest of the album is ok.

U2 to headline glastonbury in 2007!

I heard some of the new Coldplay album, it was just like November 2004 all over again - it's so great how they've captured the essential sound of HTDAAB-era U2!

Kieran McConville said:
I heard some of the new Coldplay album, it was just like November 2004 all over again - it's so great how they've captured the essential sound of HTDAAB-era U2!

yup. you described exactly why it's so bad. Coldplay are three albums into their career, and already they sound middle aged, if they didn't to start with (I don't think they did, but a lot would disagree).

it's just such a piece of shit compared to Rush of Blood and Parachutes. I suppose it's modestly better than HTDAAB, but considering the expectations, it's unbelievably bad. The best songs, "White Shadows" (it's off Pop, right?) and "Low" (Achtung Baby) are pure U2 ripoffs. I'm not a usual Interference U2 fan, so my instinct is never to call things U2 ripoffs unless they actually are. There's also a moment where everything but the synth and vocals cuts out in "White Shadows" and it sounds exactly like a Peter Gabriel song off Us. Still "White Shadows" and "Low" are the best songs by far. "Fix You" is nice for a certain mood, because it's the one track that returns to the smooth but unprocessed sound of the past two albums, "Square One" gets the job done (the job being an opener that rehashes "Politik" in a more pop radio friendly manner) and it does have some amazing vocals at the very end. "Speed of Sound" is impossible to fault within the bounds of 100% formulaic songwriting. There's even a bit of great guitarwork in the last chorus-- about the only place on this album (someone besides Coldplay wrote the riffs not only for "Talk" but for "Square One," read the liners). "A Message" is not as bad as it first seemed. Utterly pleasant and disposable, never goes anywhere. And that's the best songs.

Some people called Coldplay innocuous from the start, but this is the album where they first deserve it. Before this, they never pretended to be anything more than they were. Before this, they wrote songs that fit in great on radio but didn't sound like they had been made only to do that.

I feel that all songs off X&Y are of a high quality, yet as a whole the album is somewhat incoherent and muddled.

2 or 3 songs too long perhaps?

Til Kingdom Come is not necessary...scrap it and leave Twisted Logic as the closer.

I also think that A Message, despite being a great song, would be best left off the album.

And as much as I love The Hardest Part, it sounds out of place wedged betwixt Low and Swallowed in the Sea.

The title track, although still a nice listen, is widely considered as one of the inferior album tracks. Even so, it probably should maintain it's place on the album because it's brilliant linkage between Talk and Speed Of Sound.

And I wish Coldplay didn't write Fix You cause it takes too long to get going.

Alternative Tracklisting?

1. Square One
2. What If
3. White Shadows
4. Fix You
5. The Hardest Part
6. Talk
7. X&Y
8. Speed Of Sound
9. Low
10. Swallowed in the Sea
11. Twisted Logic

"X&Y" (title track) is horrific, "Hardest Part" is their worst song ever I think, and "Twisted Logic" is a very disappointing album closer.

1. Square One
2. What if
3. White Shadows
4. Fix You
5. Speed of Sound
6. A Message
7. Low
8. Swallowed in the Sea

thats the best that can really be done for this one.

I wonder if people love Coldplay because they remind them of U2, as Oasis reminded some people of the Beatles?

Oasis never sounded like the Beatles to me. They rip off some melodies and vocal harmonies, but the overall sound is ridiculously different, more like the Who. The Beatles never did arena rock with big guitars everywhere in the mix. The only Beatles songs remotely Oasis-sounding are the Phil Spector (over)produced ones off Let It Be.

Back
Top Bottom